Bafang BPM Pics and Specs - Large 3.9Kg Sensorless Geared

I've got a 500W @ 36V BPM climber motor. Not sure of the motor code but it is intended for a 26" rim. Also have the Bafang controller (20A and 25A versions) and controls (E-bus, small enclosure fitted near handle bars with single multicore back to controller). Nicely put together piece if kit.

Haven't got any specifics on the motor performance as I haven't used it so much but it pulls very well, is really smooth and very quiet. Similar in performance to a Puma at 36V but maybe not quite as strong, but definitely quieter (and the Puma is not a noisy motor IMO). The spokes that were supplied by Bafang for a 26" double walled rim are 213mm but I think they are a little on the long side. Better use an online spoke calculator when you know the effective radius of the intended rim, spoke radius is given on the above drawing.

My motor was supplied with hall sensors, all Bafang motors can be specified both with or without hall sensors.

full-throttle said:
The controller is 12-mosfet Big Box from http://www.lsdzs.com/ They also have a PayPal account and were very helpful. The controller uses IRF1010E mosfets and is rated 48V 25A(peak)/12A(cont).

They have quite a variety of controllers including a micro 200g ebike one that looks interesting
for low weight low power applications.

http://www.lsdzs.com/e/ProView.asp?ProId=322

Which model did you get?
Did you have to email them for prices?

I used the 12 mosfet controller for a 36V Puma motor and I've spoken with Full-Throttle and he used the same. It needed to be sent back for some software mods as it wouldn't pull from low speeds initially. Has worked great since the mods and to be fair the Puma pulls about 800W peak (at 36V) and has very pretty low resistance windings AFAIK. They don't really do retail, but if you ask nicely they may send you a sample. The lady I communicated with was very helpful and pleasant. Her name was Kitty I think.

http://www.lsdzs.com/e/ProView.asp?ProId=327

Also used their 15A controller and just weighed it, 227g.

cell_man said:
I used the 12 mosfet controller for a 36V Puma motor and I've spoken with Full-Throttle and he used the same. It needed to be sent back for some software mods as it wouldn't pull from low speeds initially. Has worked great since the mods and to be fair the Puma pulls about 800W peak (at 36V) and has very pretty low resistance windings AFAIK. They don't really do retail, but if you ask nicely they may send you a sample. The lady I communicated with was very helpful and pleasant. Her name was Kitty I think.

http://www.lsdzs.com/e/ProView.asp?ProId=327

Also used their 15A controller and just weighed it, 227g.

When I buy another controller I want to do the software mods myself. Do you know which
micro-controller is used in these?

The motor has clicked well over 2,000km now with nothing bad to report.

Its definitely more refined than MAC Shanghai - the casting is more elaborate, it has seals everywhere and gears are beefier. It is also less noisy. The axle on MAC looks stronger though. I will review the performance difference once the MAC is rideable.

Top speed is closer to 40km/hr on flat ground, no pedaling, with 26x2.35 BigApples. It gets to 42.5km/hr on a slight slope.

On lsdzs: uses Cypress chip, sales person's name is Kitty.

full-throttle said:
The motor has clicked well over 2,000km now with nothing bad to report.

Its definitely more refined than MAC Shanghai - the casting is more elaborate, it has seals everywhere and gears are beefier. It is also less noisy. The axle on MAC looks stronger though. I will review the performance difference once the MAC is rideable.

Top speed is closer to 40km/hr on flat ground, no pedaling, with 26x2.35 BigApples. It gets to 42.5km/hr on a slight slope.

On lsdzs: uses Cypress chip, sales person's name is Kitty.

For sure the Climber is a much better looking motor than the MAC motor and quiteter but I don't know if it's stronger. You can also get the MAC with a steel gear if you're gonna run high power and I've ran mine at 48V with a 35A controller (with very good battery :) ).

I've now got a dual motor setup in my bike with a 500W climber in the rear and a 500W MAC in the front. They each pull about 1700W on acceleration. I'll have to look more closely to see if there's much difference in performance between the 2. They pull quite nicely together, 3500W under acceleration but need higher RPM motors as the no load speed is only about 65kph and it will only do a little over 50kph max (with only just over 1000w being pulled from both motors. Will have to see what happens at 60V, but I'll swap the Climber for the rear MAC that I have hear waiting to be laced into a rim.

I'm with you on this one cell_man - the MAC seem to be a stronger motor. I'm testing one at the moment, steel gear and sans. Its a bit too noisy with steel.

'Only' 65km/hr?? What is your comfortable speed on two wheels I wonder. Also what is climber's no load RPM and what is the motor code (2-digit number, should be etched into the hub)?

Should prob mention about the rear disc brake clearance: the old Shimano XT 160 fits very well on BPM, but I had to space the disc out by 3mm to be able to use Avid Jucy 160. Looks like Jusy 185 would fit ok.

Was pleased to discover that full throttle lives local to me Down Under :D

I recently got to test his BMP motor set up (with 16S LiFePO4) and loved it.
The BPM was surprisingly quick and smooth to start without sensors. I tried a few WOT starts from rest and (perhaps after a tiny delay before responding) it didn't skip a beat. No hammering or stuttering at all.
It had good low end torque for accelerating/hill climbing and was also very quiet for a geared motor.

I've lately been testing the smaller Bafang geared motor (36V, 26", SWXH with the single metal gear mod) which I like for a lightweight but it runs a bit too hot when pushed to cruise at 35-40km/h without pedaling (16-20S LiPo, 64-80V off the charger).

The BPM seems like a great choice for the 40km/h (before pedaling) cruising class I'm currently interested in.

Ben

Depends what you mean by heavy duty? I don't have any real experience running these off road. On road I've not had any problems with spokes (12G SS and 11G locally sourced cheapo things) running with over 2000W peak per motor. Full Throttles advise is sound, you can't go wrong with Sapim. If it's off road use, go with the best spokes and rims you can. If you're just using them on the road with some moderate off road use, some 12g stainless steel spokes in a 1 cross pattern should be more than up to the job IMO.

From what I've read it's poorly fitting spokes that tend to cause problems and subsequently fail. Not necessarily insufficient strength of the spokes, but rather poor fitting into the hub due to poor design, unsuitable spoke selection or poor wheel build. There is also some that say oversized spokes like 12G are not necessary and smaller high quality spokes are superior for a hub motor equipped wheel.

Once again, thanks for the advice.

I do the odd bit off off-roading- I use Fat Franks and Hookworms so they usually absorb a lot of the shock but there is the odd time when I let the rear down heavily, and stronger spokes might be needed, especially with 20Ah of LifePo on the rear pannier.

Thanks.

Another data point. I've got a bike from Alien in the UK known as the Aurora (http://alienbikes.co.uk/page7.htm). The package comes with a BPM 36v350w 26(11) sensorless, an LSDZS 6FET, 18A max, controller and a Bafang-8Fun branded wiring concentrator. Details here http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22411#p326403

I get 11-16-21mph in the three modes, but the best thing is it will haul itself up any hill off road or on. Startup is pretty smooth with the briefest of stutter from a dead stop.

I've been wondering about whether the controller can be re-programmed for more something but after seeing the spec sheet at the top of the thread, I'm getting pretty close to the no-load speed at 36V. So it looks like the only available upgrade is a new battery and controller with 48V or higher. Using pedelec in medium mode and maintaining an average 15mph or so sees me flatten the 36v10Ahr Lipo battery in 22-25 miles. I think I should stop thinking about all this stuff and just ride the bike as it's a lot of fun. And save up the pipe dreams for the next bike.

It's my favorite hub motor. With a code13 (13wind) and @48V, it'll hold darn near 20mph up average hills yet tops out at 21-22mph, which is my preferred cruise speed. I've never seen its' hub next to a BMC400, yet from what I read, they may be the same size. At 8.7lb, it's the lightest motor I'd trust for moderate duty commuting/shopping runs.

I have now started to use my new 48V/15Ah ping battery ... and it's amazing how it works !!

I'm using a 48V/750W controller with a bafang BPM Code9.
Without load max speed is >60Km/h 8)
Max amp peaks is >42A
max power is > 1550W
With nomal pedaling on a flat ground my speed is around 50Km/h 8)
The ability to climb stip road is crazy too !

The battery never go lower than 48V even when when Amps consumed are > 42A !

The battery weigth is definitely higher than a Lipo, but it works very very well, I'm very happy :D :D :D

I had a code11 before, but this code9 associated to the 48V/15Ah/750W is really nice !! I love it ! :lol: :D

While I was down in Melbourne in April I was able to contact Ben Moore (thanks to Full-Throttle) to pick up one of his code 12 BPMs with hall sensors. Well I finally got around to fitting it to my specced up Giant Yukon and it runs like dream. Very quiet light weight and surprisingly torquey.

I run 14s 2p Rhino 4900 lipo in a custom PVC battery case that I built to fit in the frame triangle. Top speed about 42kph and about 1600-1700w peak with a Lyen Mini Monster.

All in all a great little versatile motor.

IMG_3652.jpg

IMG_3655.jpg

IMG_3650.jpg

Glad I could help

Code 12 is what I've been using lately on similar voltage and slightly lower amps.

That's a very nice looking machine! I'm impressed with all the attention to detail and the quality of components. What does it weight? Sub 25kg?

Can anyone confirm how fast the sensorless BPM's can go? I plan to do a dual motor build for max. 65 kph. Is it feasible?
If not, has anyone successfully added hall sensors? Can the motor handle that speed without much heat, if run in tandem with a DD motor?

Back