Basman Lunar project

deepfraught

100 W
Hi folks, it has arrived, and had first test ride as a fine weather cruiser commuter--not its intended function, but commuting 99.5% of my riding so it's how I test anything. It was delightful, 20% (10min) longer journey time including stoppage for these photos was good and under target hour for 20km in the hour door to door including stoppages.

I'm thinking a rear rack with a rear friction drive tucked under to house all components and battery, keeping rest of bike unadulterated by wires. Just for top speed bursts on straights to avoid straying from the single speed gearing that is perfect for everything else I've encountered. I'll be looking at the home brew friction kits, and see if I can use Commuter Booster Brain Box with a manual/other engagement than the stock mechanical swingarm.

I've read parts of Aussie Jester's thread of home made similar frame, but Matt hasn't gone further with that cheap/smaller mid drive project last I checked, but am watching things like that too.

I guess there's something to be said for daily cycling climbing fitness in legs, and good single speed ratio by chance for the terrain. Less than 20% slower than carbon road bike door to door, mostly due to several stoppages on the route so less top speed gains on a clear run for the taller gearing.
That's only 8min slower last night to get home on a 20km normally 46min trip similar conditions with road bike.
No speed on the flats but on the climbs I could spin up (with single speed motivation to climb quickly) to peak power and passed a few average commuter people who had passed me on the flat.
An admirer who rode with me for a bit stopped at an intersection I made it through, took over 500m on the flat of gap before he caught up again.
It was so good I took it out for a ride again today, and am still interested in a rear rack friction kit, but my threshold for light weight quality finish and no compromises will be stronger. I'm happy to stay with single speed even as a commuter, a taller gear won't get me into work cooler in summer as I'll want to push it rather than spin out and coast. I get a better workout from the road bike though, so will have to park this up next week to earn another ride.

On the way in this morning I got an end of week pastries treat and stopped by the office ;)

imag1657-1.jpg

imag1659-1.jpg

It really is a lovely ride.

The Basman is a good looking bike and glad you are happy with the way it rides and a bit of electric trickery would give it that edge, friction drives are very stealthy so would suit well,

ps are you a polly?

Nah not a Polly, you want me to jump from a bridge? ;) just more picturesque than my work.

I rode daughter to her play group she loved it and it all worked out perfectly as planned. Happened to ride past local primary drop off time and got lots of wow cools from mums.

About to try some rear racks on for sizing and see what room is available.

Cool bike. I'm thinking of getting one or something similar for commuting, need mudguards and a kids seat. (Don't have either of those on my greyborg right now) I would fit a small hubmotor, but will keep an eye on your progress. Looks great.

Lovely lookin bike :) Have you seen Keplers friction drives?

[youtube]61sM9qovORU[/youtube]
perhaps one could be adapted to run under a rear rack?

best of luck getting her sorted anyways..*subscribed!

KiM

Cheers, I've had a small n+1 bike population explosion this year and have come to appreciate the limited top speed of the single speed and pure and simple old style nature of the bike, where normally if I've got the gearing i'm always pushing my comfort zone, this forces me to switch off and coast and look around a bit more.
So I'm almost going to scratch any idea of electrifying it as I've got others to focus on, with just a Voltage Cycles kit in the back of my mind for a sister bike some day.

Well with the new year my goal to reduce/rationalise bike count since the population explosion at end of 2012, I'm wanting better use of the ones I have/won't sell.

So of the 26" bikes I have left, thinking what don't I care about bombing with weight and batteries, ruled the fat sand bike out, leaving the Basman single speed as a candidate. Suitable dropouts, loads of space, and someone needs to show that guy AussieJester the lazy way to avoid all that hard work ;)

Of the hubs the new H40 from 5404 group buy has a nice wide rim at 38mm outer, to the Basman's 45mm outer. I could swallow a black rim/black hub combo with either a white Halo Twin Rail fat tyre, or try the original Basman Balloon white. The extra weight preferred on an easy rider rigid leaving the lighter Hadron mkIV for other MTB options or laced into a stealth 72V A2B Metro.

So here's the 72V 50A Crystallite controller pictured underneath an orphan 36/48V 9C controller, 2 x 5Ah 6S1P Hadron brick halves, 2 of 3 6S Nanotech 8Ah (one in bottle for Commuter Booster) and the wider heavier H40 hub and rim.
imag2305-1.jpg

edit: woke up this morning and realised no front disc brake option to handle any speed (front hub has a roller brake), and would lose the rear coaster brake also.
There are rear disc brake tabs on frame, so a good big 200mm reliable hydraulic disc might be livable with care and diligent maintenance and lots of spare pads (straight from Norco to get rolling). Black rear end with a rack and saddles is the limit for aesthetic change, I wouldnt be happy losing front wheel/fork/fender that match the frame.
I love the bike as it is pure simplicity but I will still go through the motions with the hub and test it, not do anything irreversible (and minimise paint damage from torque arms etc.) if it means simply riding it more for test rides, it might be nice cruising in these 38degC days. I'd probably be happiest with friction drive for rear, use it for a run up on hills and a boost to go over the 25kph pedal cruise to 40kph, use only 1 battery etc...

Here's the pic/bike that swayed me to it originally when I was looking for a flat footing recumbent bike for child seat, bonus this one did it using the bike's own top tube.
basmanmicha_579.jpg

I cycled the daughter to kindy again one morning last week, 5min there was a cruisy roll down the long hill, just the quarter of next hill and long roll down hill to the destination.
On the return of course it meant reverse so one long hill climb, one short downhill, followed by a very long uphill to home again. Single speed sweat bomb requiring instant shower from the 5min return ride on a summer morning.
That prompted me to have a go with the hub, so I found the axle is a snug fit with 5mm steel dropout contact so I can't imagine too much out there being a better fit and stronger/neater/necessary?
imag2436.jpg

Thanks Juicerman, I've returned it to standard, but it's not been ridden with a late winter trailing into first month of Spring here. My daughter has grown so the front seat either has to move back for her, or move forward for my younger boy who may be old enough by summer time.

I'm a fan of your copper show bike effort, as someone substituting my motorcycles/scooters passion with bicycles, it hit my E-spot ;)
I thought of a variation on a bike I've favoured for a long time the Felt GBR 750 Twin cruiser with some tweaks would have a baby Vincent look feel going.
I came from having a couple Yamaha SRV250 original and later Renaissa cosmetic variation, my first motorcycle was an XV250 Virago, and Yamaha did the Sakura that with the copper theme all nice reminders of your bike.
http://beforeitsnews.com/motor-junkies/2013/06/2007-yamaha-xs-v1-sakura-2469988.html

I'll have to check out your site now ;)

Back