BBSHD - 1 Month Later Disabled Rider

Nightstone

100 mW
I have severe spinal issues and am considered disabled. I put 2 BBSHD bikes together for trail riding about a month ago. Have things changed...

I started out with light pedaling and throttle use. Immediately felt guilty about slacking and started pedaling. I have the Bike set up so pedal assist takes me up to about 12mph or so and from there I have to pedal harder to hit 13 plus. I usually run at 13.1 now.

After those early first few pedal rides I realized something. About 45 mins after the ride I would suddenly get that exercise buzz. I was hooked.

In this past month I went from 3-4 mile pedal rides up to 8.5 this Saturday. My new goal is a 20 mile ride ( Was at 10 but that will be broken shortly ).

At first I was real sore. Arms, legs and back really hurt. Now I feel way better than I have in years. This has really changed the quality of my life.

Passing this on in case anyone else with spinal issues is on the fence.

FYI... Just did a long ride and I feel pretty good. ( Grin ). I never got the whole bike thing... I do now.

NS

I have a friend with the same issues and results; keep it up and let us know about your progress. Great information.

I wish the haters over at MTBs could read more posts like this..... They totally discount the ability of ebikes to both train and addict! So much worry about new and different riders on paths and trails and no acknowledgement of how ebiking creates a new constituency of supporters of biking in general and of advocates of access for all in particular.

That's super. Besides some of the obvious reasons that folks like electric assist, such as getting to work faster without sweating, being able to get up steeper hills, and being able to carry heavier loads, the benefits from enjoying the ride more and thus riding further and more often are the most rewarding IMHO. I have several friends both with and without disabilities that feel their life is greatly enhanced by an electric assist. In my own case, just being good and old, going for a ride, be it five miles or 20 miles, is one of my favorite activities.

In fact, this Saturday I'll haul my bike to Powers, Oregon to ride 30 miles in the annual "Tour de Fronds" with a friend that uses a pusher trailer behind his hand cycle. Although I always had some sort of a bike, I don't think I ever even went on a 10 mile bike ride before I retired and put together my first e-bike. :D

Edit: Nightstone, when I first read the title to your thread, I thought "Oh no, someone put a BBSHD on his bike and now he's disabled". Glad to read it's working out good for you.

I know I know its so fun it makes you exercise I am also handicapped and my e bike has changed my life , now my weekends are spent riding going to ride Mountwood WV this weekend the 1# one rated trail in WV .

Thanks for all the supportive comments. Here it is 4 hours later and im still pumped up after my ride this morning. Its addictive.

Whats really cool about the electric is it lets you build at your own pace. This more than anything has been what has made this possible. you can lightly pedal at first and build up till your pedaling at a faster harder cadence. A regular bike does not give you this option. Nor can it carry you home if you run out of steam or have physical issues.

Im old too... 55 plus.

I'm still getting used to trails though. Out here in AZ the terrain can get a bit brutal and the body shock takes its toll. I try and pick trails with smoother surfaces with occasional rough stuff. Mis read a map once and ended up on a two mile mostly uphill ride over rougher terrain. I paid for that one.

Will post back when I hit my 15 mile goal.

Thanks
NS

Nightstone said:
Whats really cool about the electric is it lets you build at your own pace. This more than anything has been what has made this possible. you can lightly pedal at first and build up till your pedaling at a faster harder cadence. A regular bike does not give you this option. Nor can it carry you home if you run out of steam or have physical issues.
^This is it. Pedal when, if, and as much as you want. Turn on regen and make it a rolling exercise machine if you please. Ebikes expand what was a useful and fun but fairly stagnant modality, and make it even more useful and fun.

I'm not disabled,but I am 67, and I still remember when after my first couple weeks of riding, I realized that for some reason I was pedaling more and more. Then, a while later, I realized I had rode every single day for a few weeks, if only the 3 mile ride to my mail box and back, but most longer. THEN I realized that when work got in the way and I didn't have a chance to ride, I was hooked, and really missed the exercise buzz or whatever the hell it is. Lastly, though I snowboard everyday all winter and am active doing other stuff the rest of the year (work related, and farm) about 3 months after my first ride I realized I am in better shape then before and lost a pound or two of weight. More then anything I do it because it's so fun, the other benefits are a bonus.

Battery is charging now, riding shortly!

Right on! I bet you will see more improvements over the years.

It's not just spinal disability that benefits from longer duration, but lower effort, less strain on ligaments, riding. Cardio improves, even from very light levels of effort. Metabolism changes, stress hormones decrease, and of course, my favorite drug endorphins increase.

My problem is chronic post viral fatigue. 5 years ago, could hardly walk around the block. For a year, never even pedaled at all. Just kept the suicidal thoughts backed off with a ride. Now I can walk around ok, but still prefer an ebike ride. I can do an 80 mile ride on a good day, 20 on the worst day still possible. Any time I poop out, I can still ride home no pedaling.

Recovering from that virus is a 20 year process for some, but for me, I'm certain that that I would never have recovered as much, as fast, without some kind of long duration, easy exercise. For most, that's just walking. But how could I do that, when a 5 min walk was laying me out?

E bike for the win!

Hit the 10 mile mark on Sunday morning pedaling all the way. Last 2.5 miles was an upward incline. Pumped me up pretty good. Legs were like rubber when I was done. Next up will be the 15 mile mark then 20. Its getting hot here in AZ so may not hit 15 till fall.

I can relate to the suicide thing. I ran around with a .45 round in my pocket for years as a reminder that I had a way out. I was a 300lb type 2 diabetic with very chronic pain. Finally met a Dr that would treat me for pain and the rest is history. Took me 7 years to drop the weight and beat the diabetes.

When your in pain you don't want to move... Up goes the weight. Diabetes is next. Insulin and a host of other drugs soon follow. Its really sad that this is how doctors treat patients when pain is involved. The dr gets more visits and big pharma makes out. All about money.

There is always hope if you don't give up. Fight it till the end.

NS

Back