Best Full Suspension ebike Frames?

The only common problem is they keep working awesomely long after they should have had some maintenance. So check the suspension bearings and bushings for looseness or slack. There should be none.
Its better to have a non reservoir rear shock, as the reservoir takes up battery space.
The dropouts will need some time spent on a proper torque arm. generic ones don't fit well, but outstanding ones can be made with only moderate skills and hand tools. check out any of the build threads for examples.
Otherwise, No weakness in the Stinky.

Triangle room is great to have. But in lieu of that, I feel that mounting the batteries below the frame will be the next best option. You get lowered center of gravity that is centered between the dampers without sacrificing knee or stand-over space. Of course, it will not work with all uses.

It would be nice to see the rear drop-outs on some of these. I find them more important than frame space. I'm not getting the full picture without them.

2009FeltCompulsion1-Frame.png

I started with a 1999 Felt Compulsion-1. Hard to find these days. It was one of the 5 candidates I had selected for that year, and it came up first on eBay.

I like the big open triangle and compact suspension; really the best of both worlds.

Nits
  • If I had to do it over again I'd go with horizontal replaceable rear dropouts.
  • Also - make sure the frame can accept a 3" wide tire.
  • Tallest "medium-size" frame on the planet. Couldn't mount a DH fork without needing a ladder to jump onto the seat.

The 2010 version wasn't too bad either. However they've changed the shape a bit since and there's less room in the triangle.

Good hunting, KF

Drunkskunk said:
The only common problem is they keep working awesomely long after they should have had some maintenance. So check the suspension bearings and bushings for looseness or slack. There should be none.
Its better to have a non reservoir rear shock, as the reservoir takes up battery space.
The dropouts will need some time spent on a proper torque arm. generic ones don't fit well, but outstanding ones can be made with only moderate skills and hand tools. check out any of the build threads for examples.
Otherwise, No weakness in the Stinky.

Thanks Drunkskunk Will check for play. Assume I will need to make everything to fit if so. I am looking at a 2002 with updated front end. Has the res shock. Agree, above and below the down tube are prime spots for packs. Not committed to a motor setup yet. I can go a few directions with it. What is one worth if relatively clean.

I'm in the process of working with a local importer of a frame that is 6160 Al up front with a steel rear swinger (prob 4130) and is similar to the giant reign. Maybe a little shorter in height. He has a few left from a job lot he imported for a large retailer. Whilst the frames are not too bad, they are brand new and complete bikes that will need stripping as all the jewellery on the frames is low end and dangerous. The discs and both shocks are awful.

I'm off to buy five today and document the geometry, and will probably put a few up in the for sale section somewhere about the 200 dollar mark plus shipping at cost to cover my costs. There's probably no real profit in it for me apart from beer money, but with the advent of carbon fibre and pricey DH bikes, I think it's a worthwhile service to the ES community. I needed two for mates' builds so I'm grabbing a few more while I'm there.

I'm hoping the mods don't see this as an ad given that it's bugger all margin - so apologies if it reads that way.

Not sure of international shipping on a frame but at least for domestic australia it might give people some open framed options. Happy to help if I can.

I kinda fancy dropping one around to the local TIG welder to get an AL tray cut in to the top bar, similar to Timma's ripper ride.
Anyways will keep you posted.

It'd be really nice to have a standardised frame to build things like an open source battery case or triangle bags for. Perhaps we should all chip in and design the ideal frame, then place an order on china for 100 frames and spread some to all four corners of the globe. Perhaps some day...

Cheers.

Samd said:
. Perhaps we should all chip in and design the ideal frame,.
Wasnt there a looong thread on doing just that,...a year or two ago ??
I think the outcome was, there was not enough common agreement on what was wanted. ! :cry:

EDIT: .. not the thread i was remembering ( much longer) ..but this was also relevant..
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35715&hilit=custom+designed+ebike+frame

Hillhater said:
Samd said:
. Perhaps we should all chip in and design the ideal frame,.
Wasnt there a looong thread on doing just that,...a year or two ago ??
I think the outcome was, there was not enough common agreement on what was wanted. ! :cry:

EDIT: .. not the thread i was remembering ( much longer) ..but this was also relevant..
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35715&hilit=custom+designed+ebike+frame

Maxwell also tried to get one made but that doesn't seem to be on the happening list.

How about this titanium frame on eBay. Has a harline crack but that could be fixed pretty easily

http://www.ebay.com/itm/titus-titanium-full-suspension-mountain-bike-frame-/121450007888?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item1c46fc0d50

The cracked frame is toast. You can repair it, but most likely it is stating to crack in more places. Looks like someone tried torching it also.

Rode one of these the other night at a demo day event. Very nice ride and has the space for a battery.
Anthem_27.5_3_RT.jpg

Also got to ride one very nice hard tail that would make a great weight weenie build with a handle bar bag battery setup like Keeplers. For rougher terrain the full suspension would be better certainly, but the hard tail pedaled exceptionally well.
XtC-Advanced-SL-27-5-1.jpg

2003 Rocky Mountain Edge
Bomber forks and Fox Float R shock(easy to rebuild).
Somewhat dated suspension for serious off-road riding, but still awesome for street riding.

SAM_1000.jpg

Just look up the reviews of the 2002 rocky mountain edge and there's a re call because of the rear dropouts failure. I guess I'll start looking at for other bikes with big triangle rear suspension

Actually mine is a 2003(I corrected the post above)and there is some uncertainty whether or not it was recalled.
But I think the recall is the reason I bought it new in 2007. I was in a huge bicycle dept store in Bethesda Md. when I saw it in a corner. It was all dusty and I asked the guy what was up w/ it. He told me they had lost it in the warehouse for 4 years :shock: I offered them half of the MSRP and they jumped on it.
There are some big lightening holes in the chain stay where they used to break, but I've got 11 years and many 1000's of miles w/out a problem, but I don't 10 ft. drop-offs either.
All I have done w/ it is to replace the seals in the Fox air shock and the chain. It's been a great bike.
It probably wouldn't do you much good looking for a Rocky Mountain Edge, Slayer or Element of those years, as they were hand made in Canada in limited numbers and are pretty rare.

More common bikes I would look for would be the Giant Anthem's and Trek Fuel's of the mid 2000's vintage. They all had nice open triangles, but if used w/ a frame bag, they need some sort of guard so the vertical mounted shock doesn't wear thru it.

Interesting thread. As I'm considering a bbs build myself, I've ran into similar considerationa. To make things even more delicate, I think that a fully frame alone is not enough for a useful ebike. Since most people have to carry goods at least sometimes, a rack is a must, and full suspension designs with suspended racks are really rare. Also, you might not want to show up at work completely covered in mud, so fenders are probably advisable too. So here I am looking at a fully frame with a rack and the possibility to mount fenders...

Riese-And-Muller-Delite-Traveller.jpg

that's the general idea, though this bike looks weired. Also, with a pricetag $2500, you might rather go directly with a commercial ebike

So they moved the suspension down from where it would normally go just to mount a rigid rack.
qwerkus said:

I would say there are many better choices out there for you to choose from.

Your local bicycle store would be a great starting point, for online delivered stuff then bikesdirect.com or chainreactioncycle.com, niagaracycle.com, jensonusa.com

but you could find a great used bicycle that fits your needs locally in the online classifieds. Canada's Kijiji, or Cdn/USA Craigslist or pinkbike.com

Hey since I got time to waste, I will pick a bike local to me for shitsngiggles.
This would be a good used one to build up, lots of room for the battery pack in the triangle.
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2159790/
or a new ride
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/womens-full-suspension-mountain-bikes/womens-mountain-bikes-nimble-fs-pro.htm

As for "The Best" well that is suggestive only. But a good quality bicycle with brand name parts of "Enthusiest" grade or higher, Alivio, Deore, SLX on up.

Giant Stance 2 - 2018
$1,999.00 CAD

2018 Norco
Fluid 2.2 FS
$1999.99 CAD

markz said:

Would love to see some of those. I've been looking into the fully-with-rack-and-fenders market for some time now, and did not really find any convincing stuff meeting my budget so far. The designs seem to match 2 categories:
1- Expensive custom design, like the R&M shown earlier
2- Cheap city shopper design, like this one:
702957_5.jpg

I would not trust them in a world with a 750W+ motor

So at least where I live, there are not so many options. But perhaps I'm looking into the wrong category.

qwerkus said:
markz said:

Would love to see some of those. I've been looking into the fully-with-rack-and-fenders market for some time now, and did not really find any convincing stuff meeting my budget so far. The designs seem to match 2 categories:
1- Expensive custom design, like the R&M shown earlier
2- Cheap city shopper design, like this one:
702957_5.jpg

I would not trust them in a world with a 750W+ motor

So at least where I live, there are not so many options. But perhaps I'm looking into the wrong category.

Well, since you brought it up, maybe you could fill out your profile so we know where you are talking about.

motomech said:
More common bikes I would look for would be the Giant Anthem's and Trek Fuel's of the mid 2000's vintage. They all had nice open triangles, but if used w/ a frame bag, they need some sort of guard so the vertical mounted shock doesn't wear thru it.

I have Trek Fuel 90 2003 w/BBSHD and swapped out fork to Recon. Bike rides real good off-road, lots of room in triangle for batteries.

markz said:
So they moved the suspension down from where it would normally go just to mount a rigid rack.
qwerkus said:

Your local bicycle store would be a great starting point, for online delivered stuff then bikesdirect.com or chainreactioncycle.com, niagaracycle.com, jensonusa.com

but you could find a great used bicycle that fits your needs locally in the online classifieds. Canada's Kijiji, or Cdn/USA Craigslist or pinkbike.com

Hey since I got time to waste, I will pick a bike local to me for shitsngiggles.
This would be a good used one to build up, lots of room for the battery pack in the triangle.
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2159790/
or a new ride
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/womens-full-suspension-mountain-bikes/womens-mountain-bikes-nimble-fs-pro.htm

As for "The Best" well that is suggestive only. But a good quality bicycle with brand name parts of "Enthusiest" grade or higher, Alivio, Deore, SLX on up.

Giant Stance 2 - 2018
$1,999.00 CAD

2018 Norco
Fluid 2.2 FS
$1999.99 CAD

I've said this before, but used mountain bikes are the best value in Ebikes. Many riders buy one w/ the intention to hit the trails, try it once or twice, realize how much work it is and park it in their garage. I bought my GT Idrive for less than half the MSRP and it was mint. And after the owner decided trail riding wasn't for him, he put street tires on it and it came with a new lock. The serious MBX guys aren't going to be interested in any mountain bike w/ 26" tires and the latest trick suspension and weight wennie parts mean nothing on a street Ebike. Even the shifting stuff isn't that important, I mean, who shifts an Ebike w/ a hub motor much anyhow?
And that Kona that is linked points out that it's best to get a XC bike and not a down hiller. Down hill bikes come w/ a very small main chain ring and there isn't clearance to fit that 48, 50 or 52 tooth sprocket that an Ebike needs.
I would look for something like this even though it might be hard to fit a chain ring larger than a 46T;
2006-Trek-Fuel-70.jpg
Nice big frame triangle and I really like rear air shocks. Even though one needs to add some air every couple of weeks, the rebuild kits are cheap and easy to install and they don't feel "bouncy". If a guy was to look around, I bet a low hours unit like this could be had for less than $500.
And as always, I prefer dark bikes, easier the hide the wires.

This is a 2011 Kona Abra Cadabra frame and rear shock I got as new old stock, then got some front shocks, wheels and a bbshd, it has a 15AH 52v battery in a custom aluminum case, really nice ride, frame was a little too blingy for me being polished clear aluminum so I silicone taped it

file.php

Attachments

• av3 - 1 (4).jpg
    av3 - 1 (4).jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 2,530
Back