Best watt hours per dollar in lithium - CALB, headway, tSky?

IBScootn said:
I've been very happy with the GBS 40AH cells in my motorcycle. 4000 miles and no degradation, no issues at all.

We have a local source in Boulder, so if you wanted you could pick them up at good prices:
http://www.evolveelectrics.com/Batteries.html

They also have the other major brands of large capacity cells.

Cheers,

Do they also have any store in europe or UK? Shipping cost of battery have always been an issue because I live in europe.

Still think you will wish you only packed a 50 pound battery when you come charging down a rocky mountain pass, or down the canyon from Alta, or whatever. I strongly, emphatically recomend a strategy where you build one battery weighing about 50 pounds, then if you find you really do need more, duplicate it. At first, you can put half on each side, then if you do up the ante, you cand put 2 kwh on each side of the cargo area.

I'd just go TS or whatever, plastic boxed lifepo4 individual cells. C rate will be no problemo with 2 kwh. Size will be small enough on a good longtail.

I agree, no bms. Perhaps a bank of cellogs to watch and a controller or CA set lvc that's easy on the pack. Charge with a hyperion when you need to balance? Nearly never anyway, you'll chuck any duds. 14s sould do if you gear the motor right, no real need to go 72v or anything with chain drive. Out on the road, just zap it with a good charger from bms battery.

If you have a lot of time you can get good prices on 18650 cells harvested from laptop packs and they have really good energy density and reliability as well.
The sanyo 2400mah cells i use cost me £1.66 each delivered.

The problem is it takes a lot of time to build packs from these cells as you basically are doing twice the work and dismantling cells from prebuilt laptop packs is quite time consuming but never the less the rewards are that you get cells at a fraction of there retail cost and the energy density is very high.

chilledoutuk said:
If you have a lot of time you can get good prices on 18650 cells harvested from laptop packs and they have really good energy density and reliability as well.
The sanyo 2400mah cells i use cost me £1.66 each delivered.

The problem is it takes a lot of time to build packs from these cells as you basically are doing twice the work and dismantling cells from prebuilt laptop packs is quite time consuming but never the less the rewards are that you get cells at a fraction of there retail cost and the energy density is very high.

I think i have the time, but not the patience. To get 70AH, i would need 30 cells paralleled.. x 10 for 36v.. so 300 cells.. 600 welds.. one could fail, and how many dud cells are in there.. oh man, it hurts just thinking about it :lol:

Back