• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Bicycle helmets wind noise?

John in CR

100 TW
How are bicycle helmets in terms of noise at 40mph plus? I couldn't find one large enough down here, so I just bought the least expensive minimalistic motorcycle helmet I could find. The wind noise through the straps near my ears really sucks and really takes away from the peaceful almost silent riding experience.

John

At those speeds, a bike helmet is likely a bit too light for protection. You really should be looking at a motorcycle helmet anyway.

I find at about 25 mph, the wind noise gets loud, but not from the helmet, but just the wind in the ears. But yeah, over 30 mph, I'm riding in a full face motorcycle helmet. My bikes all go about 25 mph, so I wear regular bike helmets with them. Maybe you could make some foam earplugs that let you hear but cut the wind noise? The sound protecting ones are pretty dense foam, I'm thinking of some kind of more open pored foam like you find in pillows or carpet pad.

I think most of the noise I get is from turbulence created by my ears. I think if you could cover the ears with even a thin layer of lycra or any fabric, it would greatly reduce the noise.

JS Tyro said:
At those speeds, a bike helmet is likely a bit too light for protection.

I see speeds of over 40mph even on my manual on long downhills and it's noisy even without a helmet. I use a BMX helmet on my electric recumbent, where speeds of nearly 50mph are possible on the same downhills. Speed = wind noise

I only wear a helmet to ensure no police hassles. I have no intention of hitting the ground period, head or otherwise. I wasn't required to wear a helmet in my Jeep sans top, which I used at highway speeds (far greater risk IMHO), so I'm a bit perturbed being told I have to wear one on my bike, so I want to comply in the manner most comfortable to me. Yes, without helmet there is some noise from the wind over my ears, but it's nothing compared to with this helmet, which seems to create noise at the straps forming a "Y" very close to my ears.

My question is about bike helmets that have all those ventilation holes, which I'm sure is cooler than the head heater I have, but do they whistle or create noticeable turbulence at speed? I just want to get as close to the helmetless level of sound as possible. Let's please leave the safety debate out, since I only ride at significantly faster speeds when it's safe to do so. All I care about is noise and to a lesser extent heat, and I have no interest in a full helmet of any type.

John

Yeah, my e-bike goes 30MPH and the wind noise is oppressive. Also my eyes were tearing up badly on the cooler days just using glasses.

Here are some options
Ear protection:
HE1100_medium.jpg

http://www.ebikestop.com/rox_black_dog_earz_helmet_ear_covers-HE1100.php

The Prime Vario multi sport helmet is a good buy (as low as $25) and provides ear protection, but no visor.
l_112503_s05_blk.jpg

For a little more scratch ($250), you can get this Casco Warp II helmet with integrated windscreen. I was lucky enough to have a friend offer me a hardly used one for a price I could not resist. Ear noise is greatly reduced, but not as quiet as a full face helmet.
casco2.jpg

-Warren.
www.recumbents.com

fechter said:
I think most of the noise I get is from turbulence created by my ears. I think if you could cover the ears with even a thin layer of lycra or any fabric, it would greatly reduce the noise.
It does.
I sometimes wear a knit ear-warmer or toque in winter and it reduces the wind noise considerably.
One of my favourite phenomenon is riding with the wind at the same speed as the wind. It gets really quiet.
It can get spooky quiet even at 55 mph if you're drafting a chip hauler. It's quiet enough back there to hear the air moving in the trailer's brake lines.

elastictrickery said:
JS Tyro said:
At those speeds, a bike helmet is likely a bit too light for protection.

I see speeds of over 40mph even on my manual on long downhills and it's noisy even without a helmet. I use a BMX helmet on my electric recumbent, where speeds of nearly 50mph are possible on the same downhills. Speed = wind noise

My comment is about protection in an accident, not about noise. If you value your noggin, you should use a helmet that matches the conditions of use.

BTW - the most common bike accidents requiring medical attention result from cyclists hitting stationary objects (more than half of all injury-causing biking accidents last time I checked). These aren't planned. Helmets can make the difference between treatment and a funeral. Your choice.

When I broke both collarbones, I was going a whopping 15 mph. Obviously unexpected, but when my head struck the curb edge, it bashed the hell out of a helmet, crushing the crap out of the area right by the temple. Though unexpected, being prepared for it saved my life. Learn to love your helmet, but find one you like. The bike ones can be really noisy if they have shitty vent holes. The newer ones seem better, while old garage sale models whistle like hell.
You might be able to hear better with earplugs, since the wind noise may muffle the sound of cars.

How `bout just soaking the strap material with a little epoxy whatever? Not the whole strap... just the area that is more or less straight under tension around the ear area...
tks
loC

saw these on another board - http://www.slipstreamz.com/

The person mentioned that the instructions say to "flip the strap" and that flipping the strap did more than anything else, so maybe just look at the instructions up to the strap flipping section and then skip the spoilers.

Lock said:
How `bout just soaking the strap material with a little epoxy whatever?

Another possible solution is to simply twist the strap. Flat straps will flap in the wind, while twisted straps will shed air differently and the sound is quieter; if you're lucky it might be less annoying. Putting a twist in a strap is a standard technique for reducing wind noise in roof rack tie-down straps on cars/trucks. Of course, when the straps on my helmet are twisted, I flatten them because I hate the way the twisted straps feel. YMMV.

Windnoise is no joke. I have a constant ringing in my ears probably due to riding motorcycles on the freeway. And I always used a full face helmet.. should have been using earplugs! My bud has that Vario with the ear flaps. I'd ask him how the wind noise is, but he doesn't speak yet. :p Does keep his ears a lot warmer than mine tho. Could be a bad thing if you're pedalin.

http://www.shoeihelmets.com/product/HEL03300-ATT.html

Works great. Very quiet up to about 100mph, then it gets little whistles here and there. When you open all the vents, it's cool enough in the summer, close them all to be warm in the winter, and enjoy fantastic head protection and quiet comfortable rides.

We had a few cool mornings a few weeks back, so I dragged this out of my cupboard to stop my nose & ears icing up while going downhill at 50 km/h:
rc_proj 073s.jpg

Worked great for that purpose, but the noise was bad :cry:

Very loud, low pitched roaring noise. It masked the sound of traffic etc.

This mask is made of wetsuit material (3mm neoprene) and it has a series of slots & holes over the ears. The velcro is great so you can rip it off if it gets too warm.

I'll try earplugs as well next time :D

Back