bidirectional charger

c.wagner

100 mW
Hey all,

I want to get the most versatile usage out of my battery packs and have all these functions in one integrated device.

I mean how cool would it be if you could:

1. charge all your battery devices (for me, 0-150V dc, so basically: 230V AC -> variable DC)

2. Use your batteries to power AC devices (like a power station: variable DC -> 230V AC)

A more technical view would show, that Iam basically searching for a bidirectional inverter/converter with integrated DCDC.
So, by design, the device must work without any external AC source as reference/supply.

And I just can't find an integrated solution for that..best I came up with would be to combine a standalone-inverter with a bidirectional DCDC.

Maybe somebody knows a product that fits my needs?

And wouldn't an Electronic Speed Controller be an option?

DIY

0-150v but at what amperage?
I was thinking of a bench top cc/cv psu but I dont know what the amp rating would be, 5 amp for sure, but 10 or 15a who knows. For high amp charge rate, you can series Meanwell chargers, two 24v 25a in series for 48v 25a charge rate.

DC-DC converter, but it gets down to the amps again. What do you want to power, the more amps needed to power a device the more wattage you need for the dc-dc converter. DCDC can get very expensive once the amps creep up.

Thanks for your reply :)

I didn´t include any more requirements, as it´s already difficult enough to find something "of the shelf" :D
But if I could choose, it should be atleast 2000VA (W) and >10A.

Initially I also looking into bidirectional power supplies aswell but the issue with these is, that they still require an AC source for reference/supply. So just connecting my DC battery would not even turn on the PSU, even tho it could.

Iam slowly leaning towards a MeanWell bidirectional power supply with 230V DC output and get a bidirectional DCDC aswell. That would require some additional control interface.

But why can´t I use for example a VESC electronic speed controller, that is rated for >300V?! Isn´t four quadrant rectification/inversion the task that it´s designed for? :D
Sure, it would lack PFC but should still be cheaper and less work to integrate 🤔

I have not seen something with 150VDC

Eltek Invertifier AC in 100-265VAC , DC in 44-58VDC , DC Out 44-58VDC , Ac Out 185-265VAC
Eltek Rectiverter AC in 185-275VAC , DC in 180-290VDC , AC out 200-240VAC , DC out 194-294VDC
Meanwell Bic-2200 I think you found this already

Last edited:
Back