Bike Friendly City?

The fingers said:
What? No one killed this week? :shock:

The drunks must be driving well.

Bike Friendly City of Long Beach installs streetlight banners advising drivers to share the road with bicycles. I think they do this only so they will not get sued for as much by accident victims. Imagine drivers staring up at the tops of poles at the banners while they take out a cyclist. Why not eliminate serious pinch points and put up real signs? :evil:

The fingers said:
Bike Friendly City of Long Beach installs streetlight banners advising drivers to share the road with bicycles. I think they do this only so they will not get sued for as much by accident victims. Imagine drivers staring up at the tops of poles at the banners while they take out a cyclist. Why not eliminate serious pinch points and put up real signs? :evil:

Because that would require actual effort and budget :(

Wonder if they did a blood alcohol test on that fool? 3:45am?? Sunday morning, sounds suspicious.

This last week, we had two cyclists killed. One was at night, and he was killed while bringing liquor home on his black bike, while wearing dark clothes and not using an intersection to cross the road. The other was killed while at an intersection by a 22 yr old car driver who was drunk. Seems alcohol might have something to do with some cyclists dying. Wish more people would just light up a joint instead.

It's weird, I feel so much safer riding an e-moto on the streets than a bicycle. As a life-long cyclist, I really thought it would be the other way around. Being able to meet or exceed the flow of traffic is a beautiful thing. I get a unexpected level of respect on my maxi-scooter; not sure why that is. Maybe because it doesn't look like a Harley and the drivers have an easier time seeing themselves in my place. Maybe it's the white helmet - but I never expected drivers to be so polite.

IBScootn said:
This last week, we had two cyclists killed. One was at night, and he was killed while bringing liquor home on his black bike, while wearing dark clothes and not using an intersection to cross the road. The other was killed while at an intersection by a 22 yr old car driver who was drunk. Seems alcohol might have something to do with some cyclists dying. Wish more people would just light up a joint instead.

It's weird, I feel so much safer riding an e-moto on the streets than a bicycle. As a life-long cyclist, I really thought it would be the other way around. Being able to meet or exceed the flow of traffic is a beautiful thing. I get a unexpected level of respect on my maxi-scooter; not sure why that is. Maybe because it doesn't look like a Harley and the drivers have an easier time seeing themselves in my place. Maybe it's the white helmet - but I never expected drivers to be so polite.

totally agree with ya. I would also point out that anyone that has fled the scene of a crime should automatically be brought on charges more severe than DUI. Because their actions are more dangerous than DUI. DUI is just a potential, while leaving someone to die without a chance, should be considered killing them. Anyone that can look the other way and not think what it would be like to be the person dying in the street is a monster and should be treated as such.

cal3thousand said:
I would also point out that anyone that has fled the scene of a crime should automatically be brought on charges more severe than DUI. Because their actions are more dangerous than DUI. DUI is just a potential, while leaving someone to die without a chance, should be considered killing them. Anyone that can look the other way and not think what it would be like to be the person dying in the street is a monster and should be treated as such.

I think that leaving the scene should be treated as intent, legally speaking. That way it's simple-- once you run, it is not an accident anymore. A hit and run driver becomes guilty of criminal mischief, aggravated assault, attempted homicide, or homicide.

How else are we to keep people from running away to try to escape responsibility? Here in Austin, most motorists who crash into cyclists flee the scene, and the cops don't even bother to investigate.

Chalo

Chalo said:
cal3thousand said:
I would also point out that anyone that has fled the scene of a crime should automatically be brought on charges more severe than DUI. Because their actions are more dangerous than DUI. DUI is just a potential, while leaving someone to die without a chance, should be considered killing them. Anyone that can look the other way and not think what it would be like to be the person dying in the street is a monster and should be treated as such.

I think that leaving the scene should be treated as intent, legally speaking. That way it's simple-- once you run, it is not an accident anymore. A hit and run driver becomes guilty of criminal mischief, aggravated assault, attempted homicide, or homicide.

How else are we to keep people from running away to try to escape responsibility? Here in Austin, most motorists who crash into cyclists flee the scene, and the cops don't even bother to investigate.

Chalo
Agreed 100%. Flee the scene, lose license for life. Make that automatic, not waive-able. Elements of the crime (DUI, depraved indifference, etc.) are decided by jury.

It appears the dead cyclist in question was riding a brakeless fixed gear, since that's the kind of bikes he's pictured with before the crash.

Ride without brakes, and when you do inevitably crash, it can't really be considered an accident.

Chalo

This was definitely a safety issue. Many of these riders are careful, but some of them are not. I don't know the exact situation as I was not there, but it's not hard to imagine a kid having fun with his friends and forgets to mind his safety or rides faster to impress or just have more fun, when the unfortunate happens. Many folks took risks that night: riding at night, limited lighting, fixed gear (no brakes and skinny tires), no helmet, downhill, with congestion, questionable road surface, etc and the odds caught up to one unlucky person.

I feel for his family. Be safe ESers

Back