BMSBattery, GNG and such: shipping China>USA

FWIW, GNG kits are shipped via seas which is at least a month of nervous waiting. I think it's their default shipping method unless otherwise chosen via air mail routes. Of course, the air mail routes will cost you a little more. But you get it much much faster. :idea:

melodious said:
FWIW, GNG kits are shipped via seas which is at least a month of nervous waiting. I think it's their default shipping method unless otherwise chosen via air mail routes. Of course, the air mail routes will cost you a little more. But you get it much much faster. :idea:

I just looked back at the BMS order. I picked the second cheapest shipping method. It said 2-4 weeks in shipping, and cost about $5 more than the cheapest (fed ex air lifted surface, 4-6 weeks). This was the shortest window of all the possibilities when there is not a battery in your order, at least for my location. I assume the others that are more money and the same or greater time frame might be better with batteries, or if you live in a country where some of these shippers use crappy final distribution channels.

Anyone else having trouble accessing the bmsbattery site? I haven't been able to for a few days now.

It may be my ISP, I've had problems getting a reliable connection to Rosebikes
(btw they're a good helpful European supplier with wide range, quick helpful replies to questions, and good prices - I recommended them) where it nearly always says it's unavailable, but then lets me connect for a few pages before stopping again- it took me two days to place an order with them. They say everything's ok. I've done the usual clearing of cookies, temp files etc, and even tried 3 different browsers (IE, firefox, chrome).

Some time ago I used to have problems with various web sites, I then changed the DNS setting to use the google ones which I think was 8.8.8.8 and that fixed it, so the problem was with the default DNS as supplied by my ISP.

Yet_Another_Dave said:
Some time ago I used to have problems with various web sites, I then changed the DNS setting to use the google ones which I think was 8.8.8.8 and that fixed it, so the problem was with the default DNS as supplied by my ISP.

I tried 8.8.8.8 and the other one they have (8.8.4.4) but still can't get to the bms battery site or rosebikes one. The response is faster though, so I'll keep using the google ones.

2012-12-17 10:24:36 Shipped
This is the date fed ex says it entered their system, too. Oddly, it says 1 package of 1 at 1.4 lb, then in another place (on the fed ex tracking website) it says 1 package, 6.6 lb. Neither of those is heavy enough to have my order and reasonable packaging... We shall see.

Hobby king tracking from Hong Kong is much worse, at least in implementation. The website is flaky (sql errors), the automated population of fields doesn't work at all (have to copy and paste the tracking number from HK's site), and so on. They use some sort of universal tracking website that has their own tracking numbers and doesn't reveal the carrier's tracking number. Or possibly the eventual carrier hasn't even gotten the package yet, and this system is the inventory system of a drop shipper? It claims to have been delivered to the carrier 12-15-12, received by the carrier 12-16-12, and claims to be being processed by the sort facility as of 12-17-12.

Got my order yesterday. It was sitting at the fed ex facility for a couple days with an unexplained exception, so my wife picked it up for me. Spokes look better than I expected, but are substantially shorter than I ordered. didn't really check anything else out other than it seems to all be there.

Well, got my GNG gen2 48v mid drive kit from GNG site. As others have stated, it lacks professional package protection. The styrofoam they used were probably just broken off bits and pieces used from other packaging goods they either receive or deliver. By the time it got to me, it was obliterated to "styrofoam snow" and IMHO wasn't providing any protection from shipping. A bubble wrap would have been the ideal choice. It was airmailed at the behest of GNG for an additional fee vs. sea shipping. I think that is what will save me from finding any bent parts. There is a big fiasco with the East coast dock workers & unions concerning increases in pay. It's all over the news now. If I had originally shipped it via sea, it would be more likely to be damaged on arrival and delayed indefinitely. :?

Still haven't set it up. I have 2 bikes that are worthy of it. My new 29er hardtail cromoly Surly Ogre or an old 26er hardtail aluminum Bianchi Milano. I'm thinking of putting it on the latter. Probably keep the Surly a pure bike and maybe electrify it at a later time copying/mimicking this wonderful build: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32160

Hobby king Hong Kong warehouse tracking has said "transfer to airline" since December 20th. Any ideas on the next step, or how long it will take?

Not sure with HK as I've not dealt with them yet. But with BMSbattery which is in a similar location, it took about 2 weeks to arrive via air. And that's with a lithium battery in the box.

Back