Brake failure resulting in airborne bakfiets

That type of plastic line (appears to be hard plastic not the braided fabric) was what melted off the caliper and nearly turned into a fatality.
The heat build up caused the disc to permanently change color indicating it must have been glowing.

A tip about making a coupling :
A common hardware store 3/16" brass coupling can be slightly modified to work with 5mm feed lines.
The hole in the coupling nut is a tiny bit too small, open it up with a small rat tail file.
Use the 5mm ferrule instead of the 3/16" ferrule.
5mm = .197"
3/16" = .187"

If I were to take the mid-drive off and put a geared hub I can do regen on the rear wheel.

Note that only a very few geared hubs could do regen without user-modification; almost all of them have freewheeling clutches built into them (usualy in the planetary gear mounting unit) that allow them to roll forward more easily when motor power is not being used.

The GMAC is one of the few that doesn't have a clutch, so can do regen.

Note that a geared hubmotor is generally going to be very noisy as most of them use straight-cut gears. Some have helical gears that reduce the noise (but don't eliminate it) but they are more complex as they require extra bearings in the motor for the side-loading applied to the gearing, etc by the angled gears.

Some motors are noisier than others, partly depending on the load, and the gear ratios and the motor/gearing RPM vs wheel RPM (so a larger wheel would run the motor more slowly for the same wheelspeed, and be quieter than the same thing in a smaller wheel). The GMAC is pretty noisy in a 20" wheel at even less than 20MPH for instance (starts to be noisy enough to annoy me at only around 10MPH, if that).

A DD hubmotor (like the Grin All Axle, etc) would be virtually silent when used with a sinewave or FOC controller. (FOC would give you better motor control and generally better regen control).

A compound problem could exist here.
Should the fluid reach the temperature of vaporization then it should be expected the rubber or plastic feed line would also be hot enough to soften and stretch.
I think you mentioned the straw color of the disc indicating it got to glow hot, surprise surprise, look what's leaking. Temp got high enough to damage the oil hose. This is the front, despite the lack of leak at the rear I'm replacing the hose ends, needles and seats.

auto-bleed brakes are not a feature I prefer.

Attachments

• 20231101_151241.jpg
    20231101_151241.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
I think you mentioned the straw color of the disc indicating it got to glow hot, surprise surprise, look what's leaking. Temp got high enough to damage the oil hose. This is the front, despite the lack of leak at the rear I'm replacing the hose ends, needles and seats.

auto-bleed brakes are not a feature I prefer.
Good of you to share the information.
It might save someone some grief.

Back