Brakes - help w/parts question

DT98

1 mW
Does anyone know how to get the parts (what they are called, etc..) to add V-brakes or disc brakes to a bike that does not have the mounting holes/things?

I have a steel frame bike that is heavy duty...made for 400 lbs +, 11 ga spokes, etc...but it only has a coaster brake. I would like to add V-brakes or disc brakes if I could get the fittings to weld or braze to the bike fork/frame.

I know people that could weld or attach these parts but I do not know where to look for them or what they are called so I can search for them ...or if they are even available.

Any ideas or info will be appreciated!
Thanks...

Crystalite 5305 on the bike and I need more brakes :D

Unless there are bike frame builders local to you you'll probably have to order on-line.
The posts for attaching the brake calipers are generally called "canti bosses". Disc brake ISO mounts are available too.
Browse around in the UK at Ceeway Bike Building Supplies.
In the US of A look at Nova Cycles Supply for the various small parts you'll need.
Don't forget to add the cable tunnel guides and stops.

www.Choppers.us sells some Disk brake weld on tabs. I used one on my bike when I converted from coaster brakes. But unless you have access to a welder, its probably cheaper to replace the front fork with one compatible. It would be better for rim brakes as well. Welding jobs aren't cheap.

They also sell a bolt on disk brake adaptor. I wouldn't recommend that for the front on an Ebike, especially one with a Crystalyte, but it may work for the rear.

Another option is drum brakes. I replaced my coaster brake with a 5 speed Sturmy Archer Drum brake rear. Drum brakes take a heavier hand, but they bolt on the same way as coaster brakes, you just need cable routing.

Welcome to the forum

Thanks for all the information. It is a big help. I will start my search.

The bike is a Worksman made in NYC. I think its going to be hard to find a fork with brake mounts that will swap out. I had a heck of a time to find a handlebar stem that would fit and finally gave up. There is a great used bike shop here and they couldn't even find anything that would fit...

Regards...

American-style bikes have thicker steerer tubes than European bikes, so they take thinner stems. The usual diameter is 21.15 mm vs the British 22.2 mm size.

I had to settle for the one Worksman makes and it has a gooseneck wrap around handlebar clamp. I was wanting to convert the stem to a bmx type that has the bolt on handlebar clamp cap thing...gee it seems there is a new language I need to learn for bicycle parts and equipment... :?

Back