Bulk charging 16s lipo with 20s charger

brumbrum

100 kW
I know it is not a wise move, and know all the dangers (permanent observation will be given), but if i want to bulk charge a 16s pack upto about 4.1v per cell with constant current from a 72v nominal charger, is there any reason i cannot do it? I figure that as along as the voltage of the charger is equal or above the pack then is should be fine.

If by "constant current from a 72v nominal charger", you are referring to a "dumb" charger that supplies full Current right up to the top charge value, then I think it's a bad idea.
My charger is constant Current/ constant Voltage, which is to say that it attenuates Current as it approaches top charge value, which is a safeguard.
Having been charging Lipoly for years, I don't stand there watching the pack, but I don't leave it totally unattended either. It seems to me, what you are describing would require a very "watchful eye", which gets old over time.
There is also the consideration of cells straying @ the upper limit. I'm not sure, but it seems to me that high Current @ the upper reaches could promote an errant cell to "take off" if their values aren't closely monitored.

motomech said:
If by "constant current from a 72v nominal charger", you are referring to a "dumb" charger that supplies full Current right up to the top charge value, then I think it's a bad idea.
My charger is constant Current/ constant Voltage, which is to say that it attenuates Current as it approaches top charge value, which is a safeguard.
Having been charging Lipoly for years, I don't stand there watching the pack, but I don't leave it totally unattended either. It seems to me, what you are describing would require a very "watchful eye", which gets old over time.
There is also the consideration of cells straying @ the upper limit. I'm not sure, but it seems to me that high Current @ the upper reaches could promote an errant cell to "take off" if their values aren't closely monitored.

Its only for a few charges, not for long term. The 72v charger is a CC and CV when near the top of charge, so not a dumb charger.

how do you know the cells are at 4.1v and can manually pull the cable? if you forget you will burn your house down.

For sure dangerous. The charger may or may not be happy with that low of a voltage. Some have a wider 'compliance range' than others. Most likely the charger will survive but don't be surprised if it starts cutting out or acting strangely.

fechter said:
For sure dangerous. The charger may or may not be happy with that low of a voltage. Some have a wider 'compliance range' than others. Most likely the charger will survive but don't be surprised if it starts cutting out or acting strangely.

Thanks, , yeah, this is why i am posting this , i did wonder if the 60v pack may be too low for the charger, This is my only concern... Whether the charger will actually work properly,or even get damaged.

flippy said:
how do you know the cells are at 4.1v and can manually pull the cable? if you forget you will burn your house down.

The cells will be monitored whilst charging, and i wont burn my house down, just my garage which is detached from my house

Can you open up the charger it may have a pot to adjust. I would not hook up a 72v charger to a 60v volt pack. But to your answer yes. But in a barbecue outside the garage. If you need to go to the bathroom while watching unplug it.

brumbrum said:
The cells will be monitored whilst charging, and i wont burn my house down, just my garage which is detached from my house
in that case: hakuna matata and go for it.

Back