CA 406 motorized ebike liability insurance?

Tony01

100 W
So I am planning on registering my 3000w ebike as a vc406 motorized electric bike with a $29 tag-less plate. My auto insurance will not cover this kind of vehicle, and it seems no insurer wants to cover a custom ebike at all. The quoting usually requires a VIN number, not just a serial number. I’m not interested in collision or theft coverage, just liability in case I encounter a dumb pedestrian or if a bicyclist rides into me. Has anybody been successful in this endeavor?

Last edited:
What is a $29 tag-less plate?
Motorized bicycle plate. Gassers must have pedals, ebikes do not. Considered a motor vehicle but limited in HP and top speed.

I was able to get insurance for my Sur-ron by calling it a moped. It has a moped plate. Try Geico.

I was able to get insurance for my Sur-ron by calling it a moped. It has a moped plate. Try Geico.
Thanks for the response. I saw your reply in the other thread and called them the other day. They said they have a special deal for surrons because they come with a vin from the factory. I could try and find a surron frame but I can’t cut the headtube to use as it would be vin tampering. I’ve been waiting for a couple insurance brokers to call me back since the beginning of the week. I don’t think they’re going to call. It sounds impossible.

Progressive insurance, I have a separate rider with them for my old campers and boat.

1. Get a Moped tag from DMV
2. In MI if you lack a peddle then you are a Moped
3. Get insurance for the bike at an AGREED value if you made if yourself.

I will do it once I put together my stealth bike.

To give an idea:
$30k boat with $500 deductible is $200/year with free boat tow.

Back