CA V3 throttle controller problem.

launchpad

10 mW
Hi,

I have spent a day to try and get the proper throttle control from the CA V3 working, but my ignorance and lack of understanding even amazes me. I have read and re-read the CaV3_UUG_B22_20130315_1650.pdf, including Appendix A.

My setup is a Crystalyte HS3548, Crystalyte C3640-CL, Cycle Analyst V3 running at 36V.

I have the CA V3 directly connected to the Crystalyte controller, even though the CA V3 was originally bought as stand-alone. I have omitted the external shunt and programmed the real resistance.

My understanding is that the Crystalyte controller's throttle is only controlled by the 3 pin throttle controller input cable. If I plug a throttle into this cable it controls the motor works as expected. The CA V3 registers information from the controller.

The ThO (Green) on the CA-DP Plug normally plugs into the controller's plug as pin 6. With the CA V3 connected and plugging a throttle into the CA V3 throttel input produces no motion in the HS3548 motor even though the CA V3 shows changes in output voltage which I have verified with a multimeter. The controller identifies this pin 6 as Throttle Override. I am not sure of its purpose.

If I re-route the green throttle wire at the controller connector into the corresponding throttle cable pin and plug the throttle directly into the CA V3, I get changing throttle out voltage on the CA V3 but not movement of the engine.

If I run a throttle cable to the throttle input and but re-route the throttle signal wire via the CA V3 throttle input and re-route the green ThO wire at the controller end into the controller's throttle connector, I still get no movement - even though throttle output voltage changes.

I have tested the circuits and all appears fine.

What am I missing? What am I doing wrong?

The throttle input plug on the controller consists of 5 V +ve, Gnd, ThO (signal). Shouldn't the green ThO at the controller end be enough to give throttle control.

Thanks,

Peter

Hey Peter

Seems no one answered your question...I am having same problem, exact same problem with a 18 fet crystalyte controller and the CA v3 I can see the throttle slider moving and voltage but no movement of the motor...did you resolve the issue?

Thanks

John

I don't know if this will help but I just resolved a similar issue with my 12 FET controller and the CA3. I have added a second battery (A & B) to the CA3 configuration. However the second battery is a lower voltage so it requires lower LVC, regen voltage etc in the settings.

I had the exact same problem as you until I reprogramed the LVC in the CONTROLLER to match the lower voltage battery.

I have found that using the CA3 with non-Grin controllers sometimes requires additional config. (for example, needing to run another wire to the controller from the brake lever sensors to get regen braking to work.)

Htfan said:
I don't know if this will help but I just resolved a similar issue with my 12 FET controller and the CA3. I have added a second battery (A & B) to the CA3 configuration. However the second battery is a lower voltage so it requires lower LVC, regen voltage etc in the settings.

I had the exact same problem as you until I reprogramed the LVC in the CONTROLLER to match the lower voltage battery.

I have found that using the CA3 with non-Grin controllers sometimes requires additional config. (for example, needing to run another wire to the controller from the brake lever sensors to get regen braking to work.)

Thanks for the response....did you have a situation in which the motor wouldnt run yet you could see the throttle moving and voltages?...I never had the regen part of the controller hooked up...are you saying this needs to be configured?

John

johnnyz said:
Thanks for the response....did you have a situation in which the motor wouldnt run yet you could see the throttle moving and voltages?...I never had the regen part of the controller hooked up...are you saying this needs to be configured?

John

Yes exactly! Everything throttle related looked "good to go" on CA3. But the motor wouldn't run.

Yes, for the regen to function it also had to be enabled on the controller.

Htfan said:
johnnyz said:

John

Yes exactly! Everything throttle related looked "good to go" on CA3. But the motor wouldn't run.

Yes, for the regen to function it also had to be enabled on the controller.

Ok..well unfortunately I have no way to program the controller so I guess im out of luck for this try, although I cant imagine why this would work??...How did you program your controller?

Thanks

John

johnnyz said:
Ok..well unfortunately I have no way to program the controller so I guess im out of luck for this try, although I cant imagine why this would work??...How did you program your controller?

Thanks

John

I purchased my USB-TTL programming cable from Lyen. I also saw them on the em3ev.com site here http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=41_38&product_id=101

You should do some research on what works for your controller. I would not assume these same cables will work. Of course you will also need a usb programming connector on your controller.

Htfan said:
johnnyz said:

Thanks

John

I purchased my USB-TTL programming cable from Lyen. I also saw them on the em3ev.com site here http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=41_38&product_id=101

You should do some research on what works for your controller. I would not assume these same cables will work. Of course you will also need a usb programming connector on your controller.

Ok..yeah, I had that Controller..actually I had Lyen make me 3 controllers but the last one he really made a mistake and the controller blew up, and I went with an 18 fet Crystalyte which is superior than his even when he beefed up the traces. I can get the programming cord from my Vendor...I have a feeling its something simple as I have contacted Grin and asked them...see what they say...

johnnyz said:
Ok..yeah, I had that Controller..actually I had Lyen make me 3 controllers but the last one he really made a mistake and the controller blew up, and I went with an 18 fet Crystalyte which is superior than his even when he beefed up the traces. I can get the programming cord from my Vendor...I have a feeling its something simple as I have contacted Grin and asked them...see what they say...

We'll I hope everything works out for you. I believe it is probably something very simple you have missed .

My Lyen Controller has been bullet proof at 72v! Like most other technologies... You spend more money, you get higher performance features.

Back