Calgary Cyclist Hit & Run

markz

100 TW
I saw this on the tv news, the cyclist had a rear view camera, but sadly it did not grab the rear license plate.
I've been trying to find the video for it, but you get the idea.
https://reportca.net/2017/06/video-captures-calgary-cyclist-flying-off-bike-after-vehicle-allegedly-slams-on-brakes/

Oh here is the video
http://globalnews.ca/news/3528376/video-captures-calgary-cyclist-flying-off-bike-after-vehicle-allegedly-slams-on-brakes/

Maybe a better setup would have been a 360 degree camera, so even if the cyclist had a front and rear camera, I think the cone 360 camera would have caught the license plate.

This camera looks interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLw2vpxwNjU

You got to have eyes everywhere. :roll:

Riding a bike in the traffic is like riding a horse in the middle of a bull herd. :twisted:

Yes thats so true. Its just too bad police dont take this seriously, its like their donuts are more important then safety.
Just woulda been nice for that guy to have captured the license plate. I hope the police went to the various stores and malls around the area to look at their video in hopes of capturing the attempted murderer.

From the video, its hard to say what went down. I saw the car pass, a moment or 2 passes, then he flips forward. Maybe he hit the back of the car, or maybe he hit the side of the car. How would a camera be able to catch a license plate if the car sideswiped him. Thats why I think a true Dome 360 Camera on the very back of the rear rack, may have captured the license plate, or even the drivers image.

We can only hope, in time, that these types of preventable accidents stop occurring. It may just be the wide spread integration of driver-less cars. I notice too many people need way to much space to even turn at a light with on coming traffic. Such a waste of time.

There was this one time a lady car driver deliberately tried to take me out, due to my quick reaction she failed. She got stuck on a queue of traffic, she then
turns in my path and blocks me from going past nearly knocking me over (twice). When I confronted her she totally ignores me deliberately. WHY! WHY! WHY! :x

My only regret was I never knocked here side mirror right off or at least put a dent in here side door.

Ive had bottles and slurpee cups thrown at me. One was a family with their kids. I dont think they realize how easy it is to find out where they live with just their license plate.

I've had half full beer cans thrown at me at 2am.

Then when you confront them, they say you gotta ride on the sidewalk and they dont realize that is illegal.

I never confront them. I see them as moving obstacles, or at best, dangerous heavy animals. I look at them all, making sure they see me, it is the only consideration that I give them. If they deliberately squeeze my way, I lock my rear wheel making it scream, and bump them a little with the tip of my handlebar if needed.

I really feel like I am riding in the middle of stupid bulls. I manage to keep the most distance between myself and each of them, using all the advantages that I have: acceleration, agility, brakes, anticipation, freedom of trajectory... If some are feeling frustrated, it is too late, I am gone.

Back