Can anyone give advice on this ??

ebike11

1 MW
Hi everyone!
Im currently trying to stuff thicker phase wires into the axle of a qs205.
I plan to remove the stock wires shown and insert slightly larger gauge after removing the thick silicon jacket and heat shrinking it with PTFE high temp silicon heat tubing.

I have 2 questions.

1. Regarding the red cicles, i believe QS motor has that green paper and woven fabric going through the whole axle as insulation Im assuming.
Can this be removed since Ill be using high temp heat shrink tubing?

2. Regarding the yellow circle, do you think that wire surface is anything to worry about?

I will have to cut the oem phase near that connection point.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20220710_163804.jpg
    20220710_163804.jpg
    570.3 KB · Views: 553
When I upgraded the phase wires on my QS 205 recently I removed that paper but reinstalled once the connections were made, the new connections. I would say it’s a good idea to leave the paper to prevent chafing.

I wouldn’t cut the phase wires off, would heat them up to melt the solder so you can pull them apart.

I used a single strand of wire to tie together the phase connections and then soldered.

Once my connections were secure I covered everything up with high temp sealant to prevent corrosion.

Eastwood said:
When I upgraded the phase wires on my QS 205 recently I removed that paper but reinstalled once the connections were made, the new connections. I would say it’s a good idea to leave the paper to prevent chafing.

I wouldn’t cut the phase wires off, would heat them up to melt the solder so you can pull them apart.

I used a single strand of wire to tie together the phase connections and then soldered.

Once my connections were secure I covered everything up with high temp sealant to prevent corrosion.

Hi!
Thx for the tips.
Did you remove that white fabric protection that goes through the axle?
Ill be crimping short pieces of copper to the new wire/winding strands.

What were you able to upgrade your wires to? Thanks

Yep I removed the white fabric going through the axle and also the white fabric that insulated around the original connections.

Yeah crimping is a great option and probably a lot quicker.

Used 6 awg, but it was a tight fit. I was not able to heat shrink the hall sensor wires together or the phase wires. So the wires go through the axle loosely, that was the only way to fit. Basically had to split up the signal wires in between the three phases to fit.

Attachments

• B256A5EE-374C-4795-A21D-AABB987CE5D3.jpeg
    B256A5EE-374C-4795-A21D-AABB987CE5D3.jpeg
    417.4 KB · Views: 507
  • FC16086D-AAD6-415E-9FC0-8CF80D0585EA.jpeg
    FC16086D-AAD6-415E-9FC0-8CF80D0585EA.jpeg
    545 KB · Views: 507
Eastwood said:
Yep I removed the white fabric going through the axle and also the white fabric that insulated around the original connections.

Used 6 awg, but it was a tight fit. I was not able to heat shrink the hall sensor wires together or the phase wires. So the wires go through the axle loosely, that was the only way to fit. Basically had to split up the signal wires in between the three phases to fit.

Hi
Do you mean that you werent able to shrink wrap all 3 phases together inside a single piece of shrink tube? Just individually inserted each phase?
I have the older qs205 model, the hall wires have a white sleeve covering them.

Thanks

ebike11 said:
Eastwood said:

Hi
Do you mean that you werent able to shrink wrap all 3 phases together inside a single piece of shrink tube? Just individually inserted each phase?

Thanks

Yes that’s correct I was not able to wrap all 3 phases together inside a single piece of heat shrink.

That white sleeve I remove as well it wouldn’t fit.

I did attempt to heat shrink everything going through the axle but had to remove it there was no way it would fit.

Eastwood said:
ebike11 said:
Eastwood said:

Hi

Thanks

Yes that’s correct I was not able to wrap all 3 phases together inside a single piece of heat shrink.

I did attempt to heat shrink everything going through the axle but had to remove it there was no way it would fit.

Ok thanks...i just removed all the sleeves and green paper and dug out all of the silicon. It helps a lot.

Eastwood said:
ebike11 said:
Eastwood said:

Hi

Thanks

Hi again...were you still able to fit the qsmotor spacer over the thicker wires? The spacer that prevents the phase or hall wires from getting damaged by the rear disc?

ebike11 said:
Eastwood said:
ebike11 said:
Eastwood said:

Hi

Thanks

Hi again...were you still able to fit the qsmotor spacer over the thicker wires? The spacer that prevents the phase or hall wires from getting damaged by the rear disc?

Actually QS did not include the spacer in my shipment. So I’m not 100% sure but don’t see why not.

Eastwood said:
ebike11 said:
Eastwood said:
ebike11 said:
Hi

Thanks

Actually QS did not include the spacer in my shipment. So I’m not 100% sure but don’t see why not.

I recommend it if it will fit. Without the spacer you will need to zip tie or something which doesnt seem so durable

Well this is sort of accurate with the original phase wires that come out the axle flats. In my situation I have the v3 "TI” version which the wires come out the threaded part of the axle so it doesn’t come close to the brake rotor. But yes I also still use zip ties to attach to the swingarm.

Eastwood said:
Well this is sort of accurate with the original phase wires that come out the axle flats. In my situation I have the v3 "TI” version which the wires come out the threaded part of the axle so it doesn’t come close to the brake rotor. But yes I also still use zip ties to attach to the swingarm.

Ah yes...the axle design is a little different

Back