• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Can I use E-bike batteries as portable 120 volt power supply

D-lo

1 W
I have about 5 48v 10ah e-bike batteries not being used, and I was wondering if could use them as a portable power supply, for up to say 1,000 watts (juicer) for 120 volt appliances. I see power inverters on Amazon, but have no idea what to look for. Is this a reasonable idea? Is it affordable? Thanks.

most converts only eat 12 or 24v. 48 volts is reserverd for backup UPS.

stuff with motors will not run with cheap stuff from amazon. you need a true sinewave converter and double up on the power needed. for a 1kW load you need a 2kW converter.

Sure it will work, but 1000W inverter alone will cost more than a 1000W portable generator. And 50ah 48V would only provide 1000W for about 2 hrs.

Looks that way,, this one is pretty pricy. http://www.theinverterstore.com/2000-watt-pure-sine-inverter-charger-48-volt.html

If you really will never use these for 48v again, you could chop them up into 12v chunks, then use a cheaper 12v inverter. But enough watts to run a large appliance like a fridge or a microwave is still pricy.

Put a DC motor in the juicer, would probably be cheaper

Most electronics with 120v>>DC PSU's will run off 20S lithium ion with no inverters

You can get 48v inverters, and you can get ones big enough to run 1000w juicer.

There are two features you need to consider:

Pure Sine vs Modified Sine

&

High Frequency vs Low Frequency.

Pure Sine will let your motors run smoothly, quietly and efficiently, and will let you run sensitive electronics full stop. Modified Sine, or Square wave is much cheaper, and will let you run things that move and heat, but anything electronic is a bit risky.

High frequency is small and compact, but has a very poor surge rating. So to get a 1000w juicer to work, you might surge to 3 to 5 times that rating. Since HF inverters usually only surge to 2-3 times the load, and only for a few seconds at most, you need to way over-size your inverter. A low frequency inverter is really heavy and bulky, but can usually surge for much longer and higher than a HF inverter.

To give you an idea, I have a 2000w Pure Sine, HF inverter in a cavity in the back of my car. It weighs about 3kg, is about the size of a shoe box, and is mostly used to run laptops, lights, fans, etc, when camping. I have a 3000w Pure Sine HF inverter in my dad's farm house. It can drive a washing machine that heats the water. It is the size of 3-4 shoeboxes, and weighs nearly 20kg.

Thanks for all the replies, and I can see its just not worth it to me. I guess I'll just sell them. But thanks again.

sounds like a good plan. Considering each pack should be worth about $200 you can get a thousand from selling them and buy what you really need.

Back