Can I Use Silicon Spray to Lubricate Thumb Throttle

geeeyejo1

1 kW
Thumb throttle sticking in cold today - can I use silicon spray to lubricate?

geeeyejo1 said:
Thumb throttle sticking in cold today - can I use silicon spray to lubricate?
I don't know what a silicone spray would do to the circuit if it got in there, but I don't think spray is the best thing to go with anyway. IMHO

The major point of friction on the yescomusa throttles is between the body of the thumb mechanism and the three-tongued tabs that hold it on.

Three tabs throttle.jpg

The other point of friction is where the outer edge of the thumb mechanism and the body of the rest of the throttle meets. Think "the outer part of the inside ring"

Open view throttle.jpg

If you feel the need to grease it up I would first recommend plumbers silicone and a q-tip. A little pot of food grade plumbers silicone is really cheap at your local hardware /diy store.

Pull your grip, break lever and throttle. Put a light coating of silicone plumbers grease where the three tongued-tabs and the thumb mechanism rub together. Just remember that over time grease will hold grit in place and may cause trouble.

If that doesn't work then you can either use a small screwdriver to pry the thumb mechanism off of the body and apply more silicone grease to the inner edge of the throttle mechanism. When that is done, put the spring tip in the spring hole and rotate the spring tight enough to get the first magnet past the hall sensor and gently press it all together.

Pry throttle.jpg

or, you can spray it with silicone. But as stated above I have no idea what excess silicone will do to a circuit so apply that, at your own risk.

Hope this helps

:D

Thanks - Couldn't find my can of silicon and since I know that WD40 will not harm electronics (can be used to drive water out of electrical components in your car) and has a light lubricating base - figured I would give it a try. Gave a tiny squirt of it between the moving outer and stationary inner part of throttle for now and seems way smoother - cold weather test outside will be the real test. Didn't want to risk taking apart and possibly cracking the plastic as I do not have a spare on hand. Will let you know how this works...

I use thumb throttles on my 2 ebikes and I do not have any problems even on minus 10 Celsius cold days.
The thing is about quality of throttle made of materials not cheap plastic.
cHINA brand would never use such throttle , because it cost $$$

Geeeyejo1, did the wd40 solve your sticking throttle problem? I have the same issue with one of my yescomusa.com kits. I call it the lazy persons cruise control. You have to learn quickly to work your thumb both ways. I suspected it stuck because of a weak or rusty spring but it looks like it is probably binding between the plastic parts. E-beach, thanks for the photos.

mcintyretj said:
E-beach, thanks for the photos.

You are welcome :D

Mine sticks sometimes and have learned to flick it up when I have to. I have also found that gently pushing the body of the throttle to the left with my thumb sometimes will fix the problem. I have yet to put plumbers silicone in mine, but this thread has got me wanting to. If I do it I will post the results.

mcintyretj said:
Geeeyejo1, did the wd40 solve your sticking throttle problem? I have the same issue with one of my yescomusa.com kits. I call it the lazy persons cruise control. You have to learn quickly to work your thumb both ways. I suspected it stuck because of a weak or rusty spring but it looks like it is probably binding between the plastic parts. E-beach, thanks for the photos.
Yes - a small shot of WD40 and no more sticking! I went out the next day in very cold temps (about 20 Deg F) and throttle was smooth as silk.

MD40 MSDS says
''To avoid serious burn injury, do not let the can touch battery terminals, electrical connections on motors or appliances or any
other source of electricity.''

But meh, it's non conductive

I've used silicone 3in1 lubricant before, very good remains longer than WD40 on metal

pure Silicon grease (white PTFE grease ) will not harm electronics and prob the best thing to use. WD40 is not the best thing to use as a permanent lube, it washes off to easy and can aid freezing in very cold conditions ( and a frozen solid throttle is not fun )

I would grab my can or deoxit as first choice on any electrical control that is sticky or plagued with noise. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/sho...source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla Stuff works great and has not harmed any plastic I have used it on/ near. Just enough lube to return pot actions to near new feel.

It will not compensate for issues with bad plastic fit or grit however and you may need to trim some parting line/ flash or other overly tight fits that may be a issue as well as clean the two surfaces of grit. If its just lube your looking for I would use a spray on dry type PTFE lube. http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubricants/en_US/products/lubricants.html

Most times when two plastic surfaces are in sliding contact, the designer should use two different hardness's or types to prevent galling of the surfaces. Most of our friends in many parts of the world don't know to follow this design rule. This may be one of the issues here.

So far, still so good with my WD40 application. I did pick up a can of silicon that I have in my rear pack in case the problem re-appears. Just seems like the two section of the throttle that rotate against each other must shrink a little in the cold and cause the sticking - did not stick at room temperature but was definitely a snug fit. Will be riding again to work tomorrow and see if the WD40 holds up...

Hi Greeeyejo1

Only thing I would worry about with the WD is that it has a habit of swelling a host of plastic types. Sometimes the plastic will come back to size again and many times not. Wet type Silicone lubes do this also. Most of the dry lubes will not be as bad at soaking in deep and swelling the part out of spec. It would be good to know the plastic type as there is a host of info on the topic.

Stay warm.

cheers

WD-40 is better suited for seized mechanical parts & fasteners that are oxidized because it is mildly acidic with very low surface tension that is great as a penetrating agent. However I do not like it using it as a permanent lubricant solution. Silicon spray (PTFE) is better suited and lasts longer IMO. Whereas WD-40 stays “wet”, the delivery agent carrying the PTFE is volatile and dries out leaving behind the slippery residue that is less attractive to dust & grime. Thus PTFE is my 1st choice for lightweight Throttle lubricant, seconded by Teflon Grease. I keep an ample supply of all three :wink:

~KF

Back