Can you just convert a 48v battery to a 52v battery by adding one more cell pack ?

nubi

1 mW
Can anyone help me out with where i would add the new cell pack to get my battery from 48v to 52v/14s to 15s its a 14s 6p battery ? picture included

Edited topic and post abit since yea i barley understood what i acually wrote.... sorry english aint my first language and i was really baked when i posted bad excuse but atleast it is one ;P
\

Attachments

• PXL_20231227_234232204.jpg
    PXL_20231227_234232204.jpg
    460 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Can anyone help me out with where i would add the pair to get my battery from 48 to 52 ? picture included
The picture of the battery you're holding has only 78 cells (not 182 cells). A 13s14p (48v) has 182 cells and a 14s15p (52V) has 210 cells.

Your post is confusing and problematic. It's going to take more than "add the pair" to upgrade from a "48v/14p to a 52/15p". Would be helpful if you posted a picture of your 13s14p (48v) 182 cell battery that you want to upgrade to a 14s15p (52v) 210 cell battery (requiring 28 additional cells).

You'll first need to test the existing cells (e.g. capacity, IR) before deciding if it's even worth upgrading your existing battery with new or salvaged cells of approximate amp rating, capacity, IR. Hopefully you have access to the data sheet on the existing cells so you can match as close as possible to the cells you intent to add.

Can anyone help me out with where i would add the pair to get my battery from 48 to 52 ? picture included
What "pair", of what item, do you want to add?

its a 48v 21ah and id like to make it 52v by adding like one more "cell pack", i got bms that supports it

Last edited:
The picture of the battery you're holding has only 78 cells (not 182 cells). A 13s14p (48v) has 182 cells and a 14s15p (52V) has 210 cells.

Your post is confusing and problematic. It's going to take more than "add the pair" to upgrade from a "48v/14p to a 52/15p". Would be helpful if you posted a picture of your 13s14p (48v) 182 cell battery that you want to upgrade to a 14s15p (52v) 210 cell battery (requiring 28 additional cells).

You'll first need to test the existing cells (e.g. capacity, IR) before deciding if it's even worth upgrading your existing battery with new or salvaged cells of approximate amp rating, capacity, IR. Hopefully you have access to the data sheet on the existing cells so you can match as close as possible to the cells you intent to add.
i got more of the exact same cells, iv tested them aswell as iv tested several cells in the pack so the cells match just fine i just cant figure out where to hook up the next "cell pack"

its a 48v 21ah and id like to make it 52v by adding the same amount off cells thats in the battery, like one "pack" more, i got bms that supports it
I want to go from 14s to 15s, iv made the pack thats needed but cant figure out where to put + and -

Its a 14s 6p

Last edited:
To answer very simply: Yes. Yes, you can add 6 more cells of very similar capability to increase the voltage of your battery. You can add these cells to either the positive or the negative end of the battery, and nudge the discharge leads down a row (onto your new cells). For example, the +14 parallel group gets a new neighbor: you add 6 cells next to it and you move your main positive charge/discharge lead onto the positive side of your new, 15th group. You'll likely need a new BMS that can accommodate your new parallel group.

That said, if you are drawing over 10 amps from this battery, it has other issues, too, I think. There are several places where all the pack current seems to be flowing through a single piece of nickel strip. And that main positive connection is soldered in just one place along the positive terminal block. This battery was not designed well. You can fix it by adding more layers of nickel strips along your series connections to support a higher current flow.

Attachments

• PXL_20231227_234232204.jpg
    PXL_20231227_234232204.jpg
    457.3 KB · Views: 10
It's definitely a 13S-6P. I figure you didn't build this battery. The welds look too even and you don't seem to understand it.

Do you have the welding tools and skills to expand it? Going to use a new 14S or 15S BMS? To expand it, the best way is to add the new cells on the left side.

To answer very simply: Yes. Yes, you can add 6 more cells of very similar capability to increase the voltage of your battery. You can add these cells to either the positive or the negative end of the battery, and nudge the discharge leads down a row (onto your new cells). For example, the +14 parallel group gets a new neighbor: you add 6 cells next to it and you move your main positive charge/discharge lead onto the positive side of your new, 15th group. You'll likely need a new BMS that can accommodate your new parallel group.

That said, if you are drawing over 10 amps from this battery, it has other issues, too, I think. There are several places where all the pack current seems to be flowing through a single piece of nickel strip. And that main positive connection is soldered in just one place along the positive terminal block. This battery was not designed well. You can fix it by adding more layers of nickel strips along your series connections to support a higher current flow.
The current attached + is just a temp i put on. Thanks thats what i tought but what im wondering what pack or cell is the end in this battery pack ? i got a new bms that im attaching aswell hence why its so bare and the empty slots are just me brain storming on more expansion

It's definitely a 13S-6P. I figure you didn't build this battery. The welds look too even and you don't seem to understand it.

Do you have the welding tools and skills to expand it? Going to use a new 14S or 15S BMS? To expand it, the best way is to add the new cells on the left side.

Yea i got it all iv made a couple before but never added onto someone elses "work" before, and yea i got a new bms for the battery that goes up to 17s

Like the 6 iv put on with brackets. or two singles like there is one top right corner of in the picture ?

Battery is 54.4 when fully charged

Honestly im just struggling to "learn serial/paralle. iv only made square packs before last one was 15s15p with bad 2200 mah batteries

Attachments

• PXL_20231228_061230784.jpg
    PXL_20231228_061230784.jpg
    888.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I want to go from 14s to 15s, iv made the pack thats needed but cant figure out where to put + and -
Its a 14s 6p
78 cells divided by 6p equals 13s (48V nominal). 14s is 52v. The battery in the picture is 13s6p
YES, it is definitely 13s6p. So adding another 1s6p would result in a 14s6p (52v).
May be referring to those two empty cell spaces in the upper corner for holding 2 of the additional 6 cells to go from 13s6p to 14s6p.
Battery is 54.4 when fully charged
54.40v divided by 13 = 4.185v. When FULLY charged as a new 13s6p battery it would be 54.60v (54.6v divided by 13 = 4.20v). 14s FULLY charged would be 58.80v (14s x 4.20v). 15s FULLY Charged would be 63.0v (15s x 4.20v)

Will discuss possible "problematic" scenario of your present 13s6p battery pack in next post ...

Honestly im just struggling to "learn serial/paralle. iv only made square packs before last one was 15s15p with bad 2200 mah batteries
I think, nubi, that you need to pump the pause button for a moment and pick up the reading glasses. Once you learn more about parallel and series connections // battery building in general, you will answer your own question about where the new cells can go.

I am not trying to withhold or be difficult, but I also am having a hard time giving you specific advice on your battery since all the BMS connections have been disconnected, you added wires “just temporarily”, and you only provided a photo of one side of the battery.

If you aren’t 100% sure where you can add new cells, I recommend you put down the side snips and spot welder.

(continued from previous post #12)

Is it possible that your 13s6p battery is a cheap Chinese battery costing less than $300 and maybe no more than $200 ?

Is it possible that your 13s6p battery is reaching its EndOfLife (EOL) with usable cycles having insufficient power and capacity ?

Is it possible that your 13s6p battery has weak or defective cell(s) in at least one (or more) of the thirteen parallel groups ?

Is it possible for you to check the existing voltage in each of the thirteen 6p parallel groups from B1 to B13 and post the results ?

In answer to your question ... Can you just convert a 48v (13s) battery to a 52v (14s) battery by adding one more cell pack ? ... My best guess at this time would be it's not a good idea until you can assess the present condition of battery as being ... GOOD!

Last edited:
Back