Cannot Get All Electronics Working Properly NEED HELP!!!

Zorb

1 mW
Hey Everyone!

Well for quite some time now I've been trying to get my board up and running. When I started the build process it all started quite well in that when I hooked up all of the electronics everything was working. I could control the motor forwards and use cruise control but I couldn't reverse. This was because the programming card for the ESC was broken, after some time @torqurboards gave me the PC firmware for the ESC. I was able to then get the programming card to work and then I connected it to the ESC and programmed the commands. After I did this I could not control the motor. I've messed around with all parts but cannot find a solution.

The parts which I am using:
-TorqueBoards 120A 6S ESC
-Wiiceiver
-Wireless Nyko nunchuck
-Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 5055-280kv Brushless Outrunner Motor
-2 Zippy 3S 5000mah batteries in series

What happens when I turn it on is that the motor does the beep sequence. Then when I pair the nyko remote nothing happens there is no motor movement whatsoever. The nyko is transmitting the signal because the light on the receiver does flash when I press the button.

In order to test if the motor was the problem I connected another brushless motor from a drone and it reacted the same way with the beeping sequence. Then I tried a wired wii nunchuck and the result was the same. I also tested the nyko on a wii and it worked properly. I took apart the ESC to see if there were any problems on the inside and there seemed to be none. Needless to say when I put it back together the same problem still continued. I tried to reflash the ESC with the programming board and directly with a PC. Note when I turn on the ESC with the motor connected and the wiiceiver disconnected the motor makes no beeps, so the wiiceiver is sending some sort of signal. After trying all of this the same problem continued.

Overall I believe that the problem is most likely the ESC but could also be the wiiceiver. I tried everything which I could and now I have no idea on how to get this up and running. I am willing to try anything but do not want to spend more money on this project until I can see that it is actually running. Any help is greatly appreciated.If you have any suggestions or questions in further diagnosis the problem please feel free to mention below as I am trying to build this ASAP and will try to answer immediately.

https://youtu.be/_piZ08YXxyo

Thanks in advance :D

You probably need to calibrate throttle end points for esc. Do a search on google on how to do that. Its basically telling esc how much throttle you can give, how much brake and where netural point is. Usually you can do that by turning esc on with full throttle (or full brake) wait for beeps, move stick to other end, beep and return to netural...

Good luck.

Njakts said:
You probably need to calibrate throttle end points for esc. Do a search on google on how to do that. Its basically telling esc how much throttle you can give, how much brake and where netural point is. Usually you can do that by turning esc on with full throttle (or full brake) wait for beeps, move stick to other end, beep and return to netural...

Good luck.

Thanks for the help. I looked around and found this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51pFvaf0D3M ) which featured an ESC which was pretty similar to mine. I tried the process and it didn't work. It all was the same until step 3 when I gave it full throttle and pressed the button and there were no beeps. I tried a few other ways of doing it as you described, but nothing worked.

Any other suggestions?

Can any one help with this it is greatly appreciated. @torqueboards do you know how this can be fixed?

Try your esc with different receiver and try your wiiceiver with different esc and find what is faulty - esc or wiiceiver.
Most likely its ESC,if you say it went bad after programming. I dont know anything about programming that esc, but maybe you can undo changes you made before? Are you sure you have the right firmware?

I dont know it this is the case, but when I tried to calibrate throttle end points on my esc I failed the first time because my receiver is arduino based (isnt wiiceiver built on arduino too?) and it takes longer than esc to start up and when I wanted to calibrate my end points I could not do it because esc was already started and did not expect any calibration process. I solved it by powering my receiver (wiiceiver in your case) by seperate battery and once it was workng I turned on my esc and calibrated no problems. Maybe this wont work for you, I dont know how long it takes for wiiceiver to start up (my receiver turns on in 3 seconds).

torqueboards said:
I'd try a different remote. Not quite sure what's wrong with your wiiceiver. The lights look fine.

I tried a wired wii remote and it still didn't work. What else could I do?

where are you located? I would definitely try a new remote - maybe borrow a local ES/e-boarder's GT2b to test? If a known good remote doesn't work, then i'd look at the ESC (process of elimination).

A GT2b from HK or Amazon is also $25'ish - if nobody is nearby to loan theirs, it's not a bad option!

Best of luck!

sl33py said:
where are you located? I would definitely try a new remote - maybe borrow a local ES/e-boarder's GT2b to test? If a known good remote doesn't work, then i'd look at the ESC (process of elimination).

A GT2b from HK or Amazon is also $25'ish - if nobody is nearby to loan theirs, it's not a bad option!

Best of luck!

But if another Tx Rx works then I couldn't use the wii nunchuck right? Or is there another way of still using it?

Zorb said:
But if another Tx Rx works then I couldn't use the wii nunchuck right? Or is there another way of still using it?

Just process of elimination. If the GT2b works - then it's not your ESC. And Torque likely would send you a replacement Wii/Kama controller. If a known working GT2b doesn't work on your setup, then the ESC may be the issue - again helping Torque troubleshoot and he'd probably send you a new ESC.

Either way it'll help you figure out which isn't working - the ESC or Tx/Rx.

Watching your video - please solder up your connection properly. Again it may not be the issue, but it could be! Get them properly soldered/connected to eliminate them as a possible issue.

Where do you live, if you want help from a local ES e-boarder who might help troubleshoot?

GL!

sl33py said:
Zorb said:

Just process of elimination. If the GT2b works - then it's not your ESC. And Torque likely would send you a replacement Wii/Kama controller. If a known working GT2b doesn't work on your setup, then the ESC may be the issue - again helping Torque troubleshoot and he'd probably send you a new ESC.

Either way it'll help you figure out which isn't working - the ESC or Tx/Rx.

Watching your video - please solder up your connection properly. Again it may not be the issue, but it could be! Get them properly soldered/connected to eliminate them as a possible issue.

Where do you live, if you want help from a local ES e-boarder who might help troubleshoot?

GL!

Thanks for the insight, I'll try and find a Tx and Rx to test everything. Do you think I can use a Tx and Rx from a drone?

Also I live in Miami, Fl.

Zorb said:
Thanks for the insight, I'll try and find a Tx and Rx to test everything. Do you think I can use a Tx and Rx from a drone?

Also I live in Miami, Fl.

it should work. if you connect to the throttle channel it shouldn't care if it's a GT2b or Drone's 4/6ch Tx. Just to test and confirm it's working...

I visit Miami somewhat regularly for work - if i had something coming up soon i'd bring a spare and help you test! Stupid travel budget is F'd... so no luck for a bit.

Back