Car drivers blame bicyclists when they are killed

billvon said:
It's perfectly possible to live without cars - we did it for centuries, and we could do it again if we wanted to. We just don't want to.

Amen!

Gosh, how did people eat without cars :shock:? Most of my grandparents walked or rode horses to work. Two were born on farms which helped to feed the nation's cities ... using horses, then tractors... after than we invented trains, container ships, mass production, agricultural mechanization and machines that think faster than we do. But we haven't been able to think our way outside of a pathetic gridlock and letting any git (my grandfather's term) turn a key and kill.

I had a total stop moment many years back when a friend who worked for a solar company said he'd like to drive a Prius instead of his SUV, but he felt a Prius was "too small" for him. Uh. My WHOLE FAMILY + luggage fits in a Prius!

I just discovered this thread and think it's fantastic, it's got Russians, Unicorns, Chalo, Dauntless, homicidal maniacs, self-driving googles and dueling alternative dimensions.
Please carry on! Where's my gas can ... oh, here ...

American Drivers Are Literally (Literally) Dying Of Boredom;
http://jalopnik.com/american-drivers-are-literally-literally-dying-of-bor-1635457571

I got yelled at for something the other day.
Mercedes Benz convertible (yes I know the first few digits of the plate which is a new plate judging by the digits), funny thing is I followed him on my ebike, he realized I was following him so he did his dance. I just cant figure out if his first turn was true, then he realized and went round-about, or the first turn was because the light was red and he didnt want me frocking with him.

Either way, I am making it a little pet project of mine. I got an idea of where he might live, half of one community and maybe another, thats all. I hope he doesnt park it in the garage. Figuring he is a richie rich, so he's in the 500k+ parts of those communities.

I find it funny how they are so mouthy in their vehicle kacoon , but they never wanna step out and up like real men. And they do it so close to where they live. Now if I was truly angry, which I am not, who knows what a "crazy" man might do who rides his bicycle legally on the road. I just sometimes love scaring the living shit out of people you know what I mean.

Motorists are inherently inconsiderate and thoughtless and have been for over a hundred years! Ford made autos available to everybody, and ever since, thousands of laws have been effected with stiff penalties to control those attitudes,.... and NONE really work. "They're a dangerous HAZARD! They should be BANNED!"

Here in the states, automobiles have been banned on a 4sqmi island community of Mackinac Island in the Great Lakes since 1898 or so. Yup,... today, a modern community (80% is a state park) with planes, powerboats, and all, but no cars. You either walk, ride a bike, or take a horse-drawn "taxi" or "bus". The 8mi perimeter highway, M-185, is the only state highway in the country with no cars! Oh yes, the elite residents DO own cars,.... and they fly to the mainland where their cars are kept to drive to work. Here,.... BICYCLES are the major dangerous hazard!

IMO,... I am a hazard! And so are YOU! As a pedestrian, a skater, a bicyclist, e-biker, motorcyclist, motorist, truck driver, WHATEVER,... we're a hazard to be avoided and considered no differently than livestock, pets, wildlife, or even inanimate objects along the road regardless of any right to be there!

"Damn! That tree jus JUMPED OUT in front of me!"
"The bike jus swerved over!"
"But I was in the crosswalk!"
And my favorite,.... "I had the right-of-way!" BULLC%@P!!! Folks fail to realize that YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS unless they are acknowledged and respected by others. If someone failed to yield to your right,... then you have NO RIGHT of way! There are no iron walls on a crosswalk!! And bicyclists are mobile, they move and swerve jus as you do!!!!

Seems folks are always demanding their rights be upheld today,... and for some reason, EQUAL rights don't apply, unless it's a political issue!
"Damn kids shouldn't be near the road!", "How does that old man even have a license?!?", "SHE doesn't know a damn thing!", "They're freakin' ignorant!" FACT.... they are HAZARDS, to be carefully avoided!

As a motorist, I'm a hazard to others,.... I have to be MORE than jus careful. I have to be thoughtful and considerate too,... and respectful! No different than when I'm a bicyclist, pedestrian, truck driver or whatever... I'm a hazard to others, and still have to be careful, thoughtful, considerate and "respectful". It may not fully protect me from the actions of others,.... but if for one split second I am careless, or thoughtless, or disrespectful or inconsiderate, I will have jeopardized MY life, and that of others!!!!

oh,.. for those who wonder of me,...
Personal record of some 50+yrs of licensed driving,...
3-accidents,.... one resulted in dead deer (there's over a million in our state alone) and damaged motorcycle with sprained ankle, no citation, carelessness. The other, a vehicle rear end collision with my motorcycle, cited failure to stop in assured cleared distance, minor cuts and bruises, carelessness. And 1-RV expressway rollover, totaled, failed steering, minor injuries of family passengers except me, no citation, neglect?

Moving violations,... 2-basic speed law, 1-10over speed, 1-improper left turn, 1-seatbelt, 1-driving with license suspended for failure to pay hitchhiking citation. And an equipment violation of a motor-freight carrier,... 1 brake light out, thanks boss, I told ya!

others,... 1-hitchhiking on limited access, 1-loose unsigned waterfowl stamp on hunting license (ugh!)

It pays to be careful, thoughtful, considerate, and respectful. And it's so damn simple.

Back