Cargo etrike for $500 on CL San Diego

Lemlux

100 W
See link for picture. Before I call these people does anyone know anything about this no pedal double wide bench seat bike. I see that it does have dual rear mirrors, but don't know how its powered (The two visible wheels don't appear to have hubs.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/bik/2501243468.html

CHINESE TRICYCLES-ELECTRIC - $500 (Sorrento Valley)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-07-18, 5:31PM PDT
Reply to: sale-augn8-2501243468@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a 3-wheel tricycle imported from China. Paid $600 plus shipping but am selling for $500. Has re-charger unit. Lots of fun and quite fast. Just like the millions seen in China. We have it at our store, Asia Direct Imports in Sorrento Valley. 3444 Tripp Ct., Suite D, San Diego 92121. 858-759-9994 or 858-259-2742. Richard

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Lemlux,

Electric trike motors are commonly like these http://czaoduo.en.made-in-china.com/product/HeknhXSufPVC/China-Electric-Tricycle-Motor.html. A brushed motor with a steel gear planetary reduction built into the motor, which is used in a mid-drive. It's possible that it uses a brushless motor on the mid-drive, but unlikely at that price point.

If you need a cargo hauler, that's looks like a lot of trike for $500, and worth going to look at to get a feel for the build quality. It's a case where heavy and solid is better.

my first thought was deathrace trike !!!
maybe a crazy friend to ride in the back for the corners...

That's great but it will need batteries soon and is for the flat's is 36v. 48v it would work ? what is the motor. Don't get me wrong I love it but I live with a lot of hills N.P. or H.B. it perfect. Iet is know was up with it ?

Looks good. It might make a good base frame to hack away with higher end parts. But the way it is now, I doubt I would like it as mich

You know, if you put a unicycle set of pedals on the front wheel just for show, as long as you can reach them with your legs I bet it could qualify as a "legal" E-Bike for road use too! :wink:

Might not make you too popular if you try to take it out on multi-use paths though. :mrgreen:

LI-ghtcycle said:
You know, if you put a unicycle set of pedals on the front wheel just for show, as long as you can reach them with your legs I bet it could qualify as a "legal" E-Bike for road use too! :wink:

Might not make you too popular if you try to take it out on multi-use paths though. :mrgreen:
i had the same thought...oh and a colosal...think they would know when its wheeling lol

Man, that would be perfect for me at work. We currently use a pair of shwinn trikes to haul tools around the condo complex.

Wouldn't recomend it for ANY hills. Gotta weigh a ton, and run on lead batts. Perfect though, for light hauling shorter distances.

I think I'll look at it today and contemplate how easy the power train is to upgrade. I live 1.3 miles from the coast at an elevation of 397' in hilly country. This would have to be able to to handle net climbs of at least 300' on frequent round trips of 3 to 15 miles.

On the other hand, if the motor is 700W and is designed for cargo trailers hauling 500kg as per the posted link, then it might be able to pull my 260 # carcass up hills.

I wonder if the controller could handle 48V and, if not, whether an older Clyte 48V controller would work. I would hope that the steel planetary reduction gears would be rugged albeit noisy. I'd probably install 40Ah, 60Ah or 100Ah LiFePo4 prismatic cells in the big box under the seat.

As for the unicycle comments, I enjoy at least one benefit by being 65 years old in California. I can make this thing go 30mph and ride with impunity without a license or insurance. See section 407 of the motor vehicle code:

V C Section 407 Motorized Quadricycle and Motorized Tricycle

Motorized Quadricycle and Motorized Tricycle

407. A "motorized quadricycle" is a four-wheeled device, and a "motorized tricycle" is a three-wheeled device, designed to carry not more than two persons, including the driver, and having either an electric motor or a motor with an automatic transmission developing less than two gross brake horsepower and capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on level ground. The device shall be utilized only by a person who by reason of physical disability is otherwise unable to move about as a pedestrian or by a senior citizen as defined in Section 13000.

Amended Ch. 1292, Stats. 1993. Effective January 1, 1994.

Nice loophole Lemlux. Take full advantage. The biggest issue is that lots of weight and hills means lots of battery capacity required. Flat terrain makes things so much easier.

My loophole isn't absolute. Since I'm able "...to move about as a pedestrian" I can't ride it on bike paths. Anyone who qualifies per this requirement could ride on bike paths and side walks, presumably at 30 mph conditions permitting.

It say's disabled, OR senior citezen. So you only need to be one of the two to ride away. :mrgreen:

Dogman:

I made my comment about handicapped riders being able to use bike and pedestrian paths while seniors can't from the DMV right of way rules about pedestrians: A disabled person on a tricycle or quadricycle is defined as a pedestrian while a senior is not. Others are instructed "•Do not drive on a sidewalk, except to cross it to enter or exit a driveway or alley. When crossing, yield to all pedestrians"

Pedestrians

Pedestrian safety is a serious issue. A pedestrian is a person on foot or who uses a conveyance such as roller skates, skateboard, etc., other than a bicycle. A pedestrian can also be a person with a disability using a tricycle, quadricycle, or wheelchair for transportation.

Pedestrian deaths occur in 17 percent of all traffic fatalities. Drive cautiously when pedestrians are near because they may suddenly cross your path.

Pedestrians may be at risk walking near hybrid and electric vehicles, because these vehicles are virtually silent while operating. Use extra caution when driving near pedestrians.
•Respect the right-of-way of pedestrians. Always stop for any pedestrian crossing at corners or other crosswalks, even if the crosswalk is in the middle of the block, at corners with or without traffic lights, whether or not the crosswalks are marked by painted lines.
•Do not pass a vehicle that has stopped at a crosswalk. A pedestrian you cannot see may be crossing the street.
•Do not drive on a sidewalk, except to cross it to enter or exit a driveway or alley. When crossing, yield to all pedestrians.
•Do not stop in a crosswalk. You will place pedestrians in danger.
•Remember, if a pedestrian makes eye contact with you, he or she is ready to cross the street. Yield to the pedestrian.
•Allow older pedestrians, disabled pedestrians and pedestrians with young children sufficient time to cross the street.
•Important: Blind pedestrians rely on the sound of your vehicle to become aware of your vehicle’s presence; so it is important that you stop your vehicle within 5 feet of the crosswalk. Drivers of hybrid or electric vehicles must remain especially aware that the lack of engine noise may cause a blind pedestrian to assume there is not a vehicle nearby. Follow this cue: ◦When a blind person pulls in his or her cane and steps away from the intersection, this gesture usually means for you to go (additional information regarding blind pedestrians can be found here).

The trike had sold by the time I got to the store. In discussion with the importer he mentioned that the system package came with 5 @ battery packs. This suggests either 30V or 60V.

He has one remaining trike at his home that he might sell, and will call to advise the voltage of each battery pack.

I'll be very curious if its a 60V system.

Says he originally bought several trikes a year or two ago for $600 @ totalling a little under $800 @ including shipping and duties. He sold a few new for $1,700 and kept two for his personal useage. Says the batteries are almost dead even though he's put very few trips on them. Sounded like he didn't recharge soon or often enough and has big time sulfation problems on what are presumably SLA packs.

Of course the trikes wer purchased with zero technical documentation or manuals.

Back