Carver Bicycle Design/Prototype ?

I am talking about a velomobile, just with 3 wheels instead of two , and tilting. I use the Carver Motorcycle Example and Carver Scooter example in order for people to picture in their minds what it will look like so in order to design it the same, just with bicycle parts .
I don't hear of LSV's here in California, We have instead the designation of NEV 's That are legal in many city's and towns here .
That can be as simple as a Golf Cart slightly modified to run on the street with lights turn signals, but does not need wipers and
other DOT items . They should not be operated on roads that have a speed limit of over 35 mph so they are great for errands around town.
I can make or buy a Moped here in California , the registration is very cheep and is a one time reg, unlike a car or motorcycle that needs reg every year. It can go up to around 30 mph , and does not need pedals as long as long as it is fully electric .
I have PAS on my motor so so here in California it is better to just make and or buy a velomobile .

Again for you Chalo , and others to remember , I am posting this thread in the Bicycle section so as to have it designed as a bicycle , I only use the Carver Motorcycle and Carver Scooter example in order for people to picture what the design will look like
and function like .
Latter on I do want a Motorcycle version, I do have a MC1 endorsement already and have owned motorcycles and
and have paid yearly registration and insurance in the past . Registration and Insurance ( just Liability ) here is still quite low in cost , and Full Coverage Motorcycle Insurance is quite cheep if you get a low powered , non sport , non Harley Motorcycle to use as the drivetrain and wheels , suspension . ect.

But for now a Bicycle/Velomobile version of the Carver is better that what I have now .

Last edited:
Velotilt . . .see link
This guy has been working on one for several years.
He actually took over from the original designer which came from Europe.

The thing is, for a self built machine you can use any material (recycled or not) and thought process because it's your life on the line.

You might want to study . . . One of the members here The Toecutter has made a low cost enclosed pedal electric trike with the body made from corrugated plastic.
Yes, it is a tadpole, it's the process you might find relevant.

When building for resale a higher standard is employed.
The design needs to meet engineering conventions, use new materials, have manufacture's liability insurance, etc..
A used ELF may not be your "cup of tea" but it was a decent product and performed as the designer intended.

Having build a few human powered leaning trikes, my experience : the extra weight and complexity don't provide enough benefit to warrant the effort.

Your Results May Vary
PaPaSteve, Good to hear that someone has built a few leaning trikes , Do you have build threads on these ?
For me the extra weight and complexity of a tilting / leaning trike will benefit me
for a couple of reasons , The biggest one is the Carver type of design can allow a flexible solar panel on the top with at least a 150 watt output and across the back a 100 or a little more panel . The rear one to charge up lights , turn signals at a latter date and heated clothing . The one on the Top to Trickle Charge the main battery pack. besides the shade for the rider .
The trike will be left sitting out in the Sun all the time .
Also the benefit of not having to put my feed down at stop lights and signs .
I like the velotilt design and was sorry to see that they stopped working on it and or production a couple of years ago.
Although I did like it the seating position was not upright enough for comfort . If I was wealthy I would have one for the fun
of it . However a Carver type if trike is more of a Utility Vehicle , That is what I am after . Aerodynamics will not matter as much because of a slow speed and the design for utility function .

Your prayers are apparently answered; Carver Cargo

Looks like approx. $15k Go for it

View attachment 351964
If I lived in the UK and had $ 15,000 , but no to both of that . also it is not sold in the U.S.

That is the Design I have been trying to get across to people , to base a Velomobile version of it .

That is a small step in the right direction, now for the price to go down and higher speeds , that is what it will take for the
U.S. market .

By the Way to compare the price of the Carver Scooter in the U.K. ,
BYD is going to be selling an entire electric car called the Dolphin Mini
for around $ 11,000 US or even less for the base model at $ 10,000 .
The Regular size Dolphin is said to be selling for $ 21,000 USD
A car that can go on any freeway , good range and good build quality
There is just one big problem though ... It is being made in Mexico and will not be sold in the U.S.

In the meantime someone who has the skills design a bicycle version of the Carver please do so . Thanks

Last edited:
Back