A recumbent build

Not to intentionally initiate a bloody exchange, but... ideally, weighted components should be conveniently mounted elevated, but slightly below the top tube, and forward of the seat on LWB 'bents... not lower.

Mounted lower...
1.) Subjects the component to moisture spray from the front wheel
2.) Ground clearance is reduced.
3.) Negatively impacts handling
4.) Potentially interferes with chain routing
I (and 10000kms of riding in all terrain) disagree with you!
DSC_6935-1024x768.jpg

Cheers

T-Cycle has an aluminum battery mount with adapter for any frame tube size.... Pricey, but would let you locate low but out of the way of chain or cracks etc.

I have had this for a couple years and it's rock solid
That's pretty swanky! I just can't justify that in the budget though. Instead I pretendgineered a solution with muffler clamps and yet more shelf brackets.20240205_214447.jpg20240205_220330.jpgSeems pretty sturdy but I'm thinking I'll drill a hole at the end of the top of each bracket and run some steel cable or straps from there up to the top tube to help counteract the twisting moment caused by the battery being off center. A crude sketch of what I'm thinking below. Maybe that's overkill though?20240205_214447~2.jpg

Just about the positioning....as shown it can be done with none of those drawbacks.
Positioning? What specifically I stated about the position do you disagree? Are you implying that mounting the battery below the Sun's lower horizontal tube (as shown on your Bike-E) is without issues?

Positioning? What specifically I stated about the position do you disagree? Are you implying that mounting the battery below the Sun's lower horizontal tube (as shown on your Bike-E) is without issues?
Ok, to be fair I think it may be a bit of a different story with the Sun compared to the Bike-E. I guess I just took issue with your statements in a general sense as my experience has been different.
In this case I do think a battery could be made to work in the lower position, but looking at it now it would probably not be worth the hassle.

All I'm saying is that generally speaking on a CLWB Recumbent that has the ability to, lower is better. It improves handling and I've never had any of the issues you mentioned as I specifically avoided them when making and positioning the enclosure.

Cheers

Thank you, CD
This is my last post on this subject in Epithemeus thread. We'll rehash the subject in its own thread at a future date.

I have a trike, so am not an expert on battery placement for lwb bents for sure. I once had dreams of an Optima Baron, but I am now too old and fat for that crazy thing! The T-Cycle mount allows for height adjustment and offset, but is expensive. What you have there seems to place the battery in a good location. When I first converted my trike I tried using the rear rack for the battery, and found the whole thing top-heavy - would've been worse on a bike that needed to balance itself like a 2-wheeler. The other consideration for battery mounting is definitely strength. Having taken some nasty bumps and crashes, it becomes obvious the mass of the battery can really pull if one is using rivnuts, straps, or other less-than-strong attachments. I also don't find that riding on wet roads influences the battery getting that wet, but riding in the rain certainly does. Does your motor solution require an external controller? That is often a trade-off of keeping dry vs. providing adequate cooling.

Well something unexpected happened today. My phone fell out of my pocket while riding cause my pocket points down when my knee is up. Not something I had considered. Anybody got any clever ideas for keeping things in there? I keep a lot of things in them!. Best idea I've got is sew zippers into my pockets but that would be a pain.

I use cargo pants but never carry anything in the pockets while riding, because even with zippers, you can forget to zip it, or if it's aligned just right it can unzip as you ride. :(

I used to use a fannypack but on the front, but my tummy can't handle it (or any kind of belt) anymore. (had to switch to suspenders)

I just added these to the SB Cruiser to make it easier to find specific things that I "always" carry rather than just in the divided cooler I usualy have with me.
1707529238929.png

Well something unexpected happened today. My phone fell out of my pocket while riding cause my pocket points down when my knee is up.
I should've mentioned that - you're especially venerable wearing pocketed shorts & sweat pants. I use a small velcro attached case on the seat back for smaller items (which are frequently found at second hand stores).

1707544813924.png

My phone fell out of my pocket
i hang my phone around my neck or put it in my bags. I'm getting a cradle to lock it onto the bicycle so I can use it while riding.

I have pants with cargo pockets that snap or zip closed, but as these are on the side of my legs they interfere when I'm pedaling and I don't carry the phone there until I get off the trike.

Shirt pocket?

I was bemused when I started using a smart phone after a while to notice I was reading so many reports of people breaking their screens from sitting on their phones. I never thought it of putting my phone in my pants pocket - of course it would break.

Small fanny pack, preferably worn on your hip. Sure, it looks dorky, but your cell phone and essentials will always be safe and at hand no matter what you’re wearing.

I’ve ridden recumbents across the US twice this way without trouble. Before I started using them I did drop my phone. Twice.

...such a typical recumbent problem 😅

I'm not one to wear special clothes to right my bike.
Everything comes out of my pockets and goes into a storage compartment when i ride my semi recumbents.

Hehe.

Thanks for all the advice. For now I remembered my jacket that I'm always wearing has zip pockets. It's also thankfully only my phone and flashlight I need to transfer since my pants already have a small zippered pocket for my wallet (so far doesn't seem to wiggle loose even slightly but thank you Amberwolf I know to check on it occasionally) and I keep my keys on an extendible keychain attached to my belt loop because ADHD brain. Come summer with no jacket it seems the best solution is a small bag hanging somewhere so I'll look into it.

...such a typical recumbent problem 😅

I'm not one to wear special clothes to right my bike.
Everything comes out of my pockets and goes into a storage compartment when i ride my semi recumbents.
For short trips regular clothing is fine on a recumbent.
When doing long rides on a recumbent I found that rear pockets on jeans or belts start to irritate.

i'm guessing you already know this Chalo,.. but Ill add it anyway;

It's been estimated that well over 95% of bicyclists ride conventional, 2-wheel uprights (aka, diamond frames, ass hatchets, etc). With the above in mind,...

The National Institute of Health states:
"Head injury is by far the greatest risk posed to bicyclists, comprising one‐third of emergency department visits, two‐thirds of hospital admissions, and three‐fourths of deaths. Facial injuries to cyclists occur at a rate nearly identical to that of head injuries."

Not surprising, as we both are well aware,.... that the conventional upright bicycle has a serious problem - it's vertical CoG height is 2.5 to 3 times higher than that of the LWB recumbent. This renders the rear brake essentially useless at nearly any elevated speed. But it gets worse... a lot worse. The excessive CoG height is the primarily culprate for head-first-launches-over-the-bars (aka 'face plant').

Better keep this, Bro...
1707642778804.png

Not surprising, as we both are well aware,.... that the conventional upright bicycle has a serious problem - it's vertical CoG height is 2.5 to 3 times higher than that of the LWB recumbent. This renders the rear brake essentially useless at nearly any elevated speed. But it gets worse... a lot worse. The excessive CoG height is the primarily culprate for head-first-launches-over-the-bars (aka 'face plant').

I'm currently in the process of realizing this with having an upright bike after not riding one for 8 years, and i don't like it!

How can people ride these things?!

I'm currently in the process of realizing this with having an upright bike after not riding one for 8 years, and i don't like it!

How can people ride these things?!
I dunno, maybe ask one of the 99+% of bike riders who prefer them!

I ride both...regularly. They are just different. The biggest mistake being made here is trying to compare them at doing the same things for everyone. That's not how it is. 99+% of people will just make what they have/learn work for them. If 99+% of people learned to ride first using a recumbent, I bet we would still be having this discussion....just in reverse. :p

Cheers

Not going head over the handlebars is a definite plus for me. I've got two mostly fake teeth from exactly that (and I feel like I got off lucky with just that, it didn't even hurt)

If I had to guess as to why uprights won out is the "recumbents can't climb" idea. I've definitely noticed not being able to stand up/put any weight on the pedals. I'm sure I'll start to notice less and less as I get used to it/build the different muscles. I think the beginner cyclist really wants the "extra power" though and then people just stick to what they know.

Recumbent + electric just seems like the perfect combo though (hence my purchase) and I wouldn't be surprised if they become more mainstream as ebikes in general continue to become more mainstream. Then again nobody rides recumbent motorcycles so who knows.

Back