Catrike with Grin All Axle front hub motors

Nice project Dave! More power is hard to resist, hope you stay safe on that beast. Wish I had made it to ElectraFest.
Hey John! Yes, I have to remind myself to take it easy... So nice being able to choose where cars will pass (if at all) here with the narrow twisting roads. Every time I get on this thing I can't believe how good it is. The regen braking is fantastic, I basically hardly use the regular brakes at all. 1.6 KW of braking above about 30 km/h

That's a pretty cool project. Could make an interesting Boosted Trikes article.
Not familiar with boosted trikes, I'll have to check it out...

Looks sharp. I like the look of those motors on the front. How is it to peddle with no power ?
It pedals just fine, the cogging resistance of the motors is not really noticeable. It still out accelerates a road bike if we both just coast down a hill. With all this power I still pedal most of the time as I want to get some exercise.

Holy crap! You did it!

More images please!

OK, I will get some more pics...

Left and right handle bar throttle. Plus a muxus 3,000 on the rear with a dual foot throttle. You knew it was coming.
I admit it has crossed my mind to add another motor, it would be an acceleration monster... But it is really enough now, I'm not aiming to drag race. :D

"Commercial tadpole trike needs more weight to the rear, it"s too front heavy without any motor.
I think they are something like 70/30 from the box. Rear wheel needs all grip it can get, that increases safety. My DIY velo is 35/65."

Grip isn't the limiting factor, tipping (up on two wheels) is. It's safer to have a wheel slide than the trike tip over. 70%f/30%r is about perfect, the pair of wheels carrying a high majority of the weight makes the trike act like it has a wider track(all else equal) than if the weight were more equal f/r.

classicalgas said:
It's safer to have a wheel slide than the trike tip over.
Yes. :) The SB Cruiser (a delta rather than tadpole) is able to drift when necessary, rather than tip over.

Ecat, very nice project, well done!! :thumb: More pictures of the build are most welcome. First thing that comes up in my mind when i see this is, is this possible on a velomobile (waw)? :roll:

Hangdog said:
Just a thought...what was the name of those trikes that steered the rear wheel? You could mount this setup on one of them
And have a separate throttle in each hand.imagine the handling of that baby! Acceleration on one wheel and regen on the
Other? ...maybe a fat trike for off-road...possibilities?

:bigthumb:

Back