Cell_man Purchase need advice

Frog

100 mW
:? I need to know if a 52v cell man LifePo4 A123 battery would be to much for the 9c look alike 500 watt DD motor kit. I see others running 48v but not 52v. My idea was 52v11.5ah triangle in the Falcon bag with the 500 watt DD on an old steel 1987 Huffy. Should I be looking for a smaller battery or a bigger motor under $400. I'm not looking to ride it hard I been saving for a year and want to spend around $1300 any advice welcome Thanks
I forgot to say It would be the stock kit with the 22A controller and I will add CA later

Frog said:
:? I need to know if a 52v cell man LifePo4 A123 battery would be to much for the 9c look alike 500 watt DD motor kit. I see others running 48v but not 52v. My idea was 52v11.5ah triangle in the Falcon bag with the 500 watt DD on an old steel 1987 Huffy. Should I be looking for a smaller battery or a bigger motor under $400. I'm not looking to ride it hard I been saving for a year and want to spend around $1300 any advice welcome Thanks

52.8 volts is a 48-volt battery. That's the nominal voltage for LiFePO4. Same as a lead acid car battery is 13 to 14 volts but is commonly referred to as a 12-volt battery.

It will be absolutely fine for a 500-watt motor.

I have that very same battery and have done more than 3,500 kilometres on its so far - no problems with it.

Edit: And on a 500 watt MAC and the motor has had absolutely no problems so far too.

If you get the Falcon bag make sure that you allow sufficient slack at the top if you have a large frame otherwise it will tear. I had to replace my first bag because I had the straps too taut.

I am novice to ebike and am thinking about buying a Mac 500watt 10T kit. I have a new 48v12a headway battery pack. Is this kit good for 30km round trip with hills? And also is cell_man with Emissions Free, how can I contact him?

Kelly

Emissions free email should be on the website http://emissions-free.com/. That is cellman. It's soemthing like emissions-free_worldwide@hotmail.com. Don't be thrown off by the hotmail email (they also seem illegitimate to me :p but he's real)

30km is ~20miles. You can guess maybe 30wh/mile. You have 19.2 miles worth at that rate (which is actually 30.8km). But some people here get 16wh/mile, others are going 45mph and hit huge air speed losses and take 100wh/mile. Depends on your speed and if you contribute a bit with your feet.

48v12a is pretty close, but if you got more like 20wh/mile, you'd be pretty set for those 30km.

The 48/12 pack is plenty for 30km, perhaps not at top speed (about 45kph I reckon) all the time, but still OK. Contact cell_man at emissions-free_worldwide( at )hotmail.com.

You might have to travel as slow as 30 kph to make the distance. I think you need a 15 ah pack to comfortably make it.

dogman said:
You might have to travel as slow as 30 kph to make the distance. I think you need a 15 ah pack to comfortably make it.

I bought the exact same battery and motor for a friend of mine. He gets 40, sometimes 45km on full DOD, at about 40kph, with mild pedaling. So 30km should be okay even with headwind. 16Ah is already quite heavy.

Batteries never, ever, increase capacity as they age. I've also been known to forget something from home and forced to turn around adding unplanned distance to my commute. And if/when cold weather hits, batteries deliver even less capacity/range.

All this adds up = there's no such thing as too much battery capacity!

dogman said:
I had recent correspondence with Cellman, as I was considering buying a pack from him before I decided to build my own. First, Cellman is now offering packs with AMP20 pouch cell, so will always be a miniumum 20ah, very adquate to your needs. Second, building your own pack has been simplified with these cells and the Agniusm kit, so I'd recommend you consider that route before buying a pack. A 16S gives you 48V and 20AH. That will cost you in the range of $400-500USD when buying the cells from Victpower. :mrgreen:

Kin said:
Emissions free email should be on the website http://emissions-free.com/. That is cellman. It's soemthing like emissions-free_worldwide@hotmail.com. Don't be thrown off by the hotmail email (they also seem illegitimate to me :p but he's real)
Hotmail is just Microsoft's free e-mail service from msn.com; perfectly legitimate as is g-mail, aol-mail, yahoo mail, sbcglobal, roadrunner, verizon, etc.
I'm not that hot but have used it for years. Most PCs commonly come with their programs installed, such as Internet Explorer, Windows, Excel, etc.

Oh, I know it's a legitimate email provider. It was actually my first email address.

When gmail came out, I waited two years after my brother suggested before switching. Once I finally did, I realized what joke hotmail had been. It has a worse reputation as a kind of address, at least for younger people as myself (though at 20, I feel really old I suppose on a scale of human lifespan I'm still younger.)

But I also understand Cell_Man using hotmail, because I suspect gmail at times might be hard to access from mainland china. Or, at least, there's a greater risk that gmail would be occasionally disrupted or one day even entirely bumped, based on google's more confrontational actions.

Then again, I don't know if Paul was thinking about all those things. Maybe he just made a hotmail email and was done with it.

So it's not really a big deal that he uses hotmail. I have really at this point sort of blown it out of proportion :p.

True enough, I believe that for at least the time being, Cellman has run out of the round cells. So it's 20 ah or nothing for now.

When I talk about ranges, I don't know how hard people pedal, how much wind, how high the handlebars are, etc. People get better range than I do for sure.

But when I advise to buy more battery, it's not totally moronic. I base my advice on what you will need the worst day. It's winter, your battery has now lost 20% of it's capacity till spring. A front is coming through and now your ride is not only uphill but with a headwind. You have a big coat on and it's a gigantic sail. You added panniers to the bike so you can carry the groceries home. You are beat because you have a cold, and can't pedal like normal.

Get the picture? Boy you wish you hadn't calculated your battery size to be "just enough".

But if you won't use the bike that way, commuting loaded down with panniers in bad weather, and you ride in a tuck pedaling vigourously, you can half the battery size I recomend, provided the c rate is not much past half the rated amps.

dogman said:
True enough, I believe that for at least the time being, Cellman has run out of the round cells. So it's 20 ah or nothing for now.
Cellman has a predilection to use A123, for very good reason. He's in competition with A123, because they make batteries, not cells for others to make batteries. So he's dependent on the viscitudes of supply. Having set up shop in Hong Kong, he can get cell on the black market, just as Victpower does. By "black" we mean not through any official channels with the parent company. The AMP20 pouch cells coming onto the market at half-tab are salvage from that big welding calibration mistake at the Michegan factory. PLEASE, please take advantage of that. Wether you build your own, buy from Cellman, or Victpower, now is the time to make a purchase. :mrgreen:

Back