Changing from twist shift to trigger shift

boppinbob

1 kW
Being new to the ins and outs of bikes let alone e-bikes... How practical is it to change from the popular twist shift system to a trigger shift system on a bike? I wanted to know because I really want to use a twist throttle instead of a thumb throttle.

Switch out the throttle for another.
If the connector isn't the same type, re-pin, or re-solder the wires so that the color schema matches.
Done.

I don't have the bike yet (still waiting on my lipo batteries from hobbyking) I want to use a mongoose vanish. It is a 21 speed full suspension mountain bike with a twist shift gear shifter. I already have a half twist throttle to use on it. I'd like to use the halve twist throttle, maybe I can use both but if that doesn't work out I'd like to change out the twist gear shifter to a paddle type shifter. I was just wondering if it would be worth the effort, or just abandon that idea and order a thumb throttle.

Actually, you are going to have problems with a thumb shift as well.
My first bike had that situation going on. I ended up removing the front derailleur and going to a single front gear for 2 reasons:

1) the thumb throttle got in the way.
2) when i switched over to a rear freewheel on my first bike, i could not even pedal as fast as the motor could go ( i could pedal up to 16mph, whereas the motor went to 18mph. My biggest front chainring was something like 38T. I needed a 48T chainring, and a 48T wasn't gonna work with the front derailleur.

So yeah, you might want to consider getting rid of your front derailleur and going to one big single chainring in the front. Losing the shifter for the front derailleur will cure all your throttle problems :)

You will find that with the additional power, there is not much reason to shift anyway :)

electric_4300.jpg

^-- 48T in the front, and my lowest tooth on the 7 speed rear freewheel is 11t.. i can pedal up to 33mph.. this could work for you quite well :)

neptronix said:
Actually, you are going to have problems with a thumb shift as well.
Thumb shift doesn't always cause problems. No issues on one bike and minor clearance issue on another solved by fileing the shift leaver down a little. It depends on the brand of shifter and throttle.
Lower gears can be useful to avoid a complete walk of shame :lol:

Provided the shifter is the same, 5 gear, 7 gear, or whatever, the new trigger shifter will index the same as a twist. But don't try to replace a 5 speed twist with a 9 speed trigger, or such. You can get away with matching a 7 speed freewheel with 8 speed shifter though. It won't index perfect, but tune it to run good on the gear you use most of the time.

One good option is to replace the shifter with an old school, non indexed handlebar mount shifter. Another is to just lock the front derailur on the big ring. Toss the front twist shifter. Then you can mount the rear twist shifter on the left side, upside down.

Using a throttle with a trigger shifter works fine, you merely need to mount it far enough away to not interfere with the lever. About 1/4 inch usually does it. All you need is two fingers on the brake lever. Not like you have a lot of strength in your pinikes.

Every bike I've built has used some variation of the thumb shifter with a twist grip throttle. Every one has fit fine, with some minor repositioning.

I prefer the Shimano Rapidfire shifter and brake combo. Its far from top of the line, but works well and the brake hadel is a 4 finger handle, unlike the short handles most brakes have now.

The trick to fitting the shifter and the twist throttle is the spacing. You simply slide the shifter further to the left untill the thumb trigger clears the twist throttle. 1/4 to 1/2 inch should be enough.

This is what I use on my recumbent: a half-twist throttle on the left hand with bar-end shifter for the front derailleur. Perhaps it might work for you as well.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29489&p=425922&hilit=olderthandirt#p425690

Back