• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Changing RPM on the go - Voltage stepdown / regulator

tronne

10 mW
Not sure if it's possible, what's why I ask it here, I was thinking about a project with the following components:

1) CST Bmsbattery 36v 270 rpm for a 26" wheel
2) Battery 48v
3) Voltage stepdown / regulator 48v to 36v
4) My controller is 36/48v 23amp

With the following options:

A) Go high speed when there are no up hills (overvolt directly with the battery and get 270 rpm x 33% = 359 rpm)
B) Optimice the efficiency going uphill with less rpm so installing an step down from 48v to 36v and return to the 270 rpm, and theoritically get more amp/h

I've asked a friend and told my that theoritically it's a good idea, but the batteries are not made for that first, it wouln't be efficient, and second I won't get more amp/h. Any advice, idea, work around to have 2 different rpm in the bike? Changing the amp wouldn't be a solution to have 2 rpm.

If it's a good idea, which step down would you recommend? I saw it's difficult/expensive to get 23A output.

Thanks!!!!!

Not a good idea. Setting the throttle to 3/4 will have more or less the same effect.

haha ok, thank you!!
Finally I'm going for the CST as per your recomendation :)

tronne said:
haha ok, thank you!!
Finally I'm going for the CST as per your recomendation :)

Just in case you didn't get it, when you reduce the throttle, the whole efficiency curve moves down with it just as if you were running with a lower voltage battery.

Back