Charge while riding,Cool!

RallySTX

10 kW
Found this article online today. This would definitely help solve our range issues, if it didn't cause the bike to float away first!.
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/autosblogpost-tech.aspx?post=155a45ec-b6ce-4deb-99e8-bb4a4bcc51a2?icid=autos_2340
Brian L.

That could be awesome,seems that technology is yet to be developed, well at least we have regen.

hmm i would take their quoted 97% efficiency with a massive pinch of salt along with the range, good idea in principle but at the moment inductive charging is lossy, ok for battery toothbrushes :p

That would be rather expensive, not sure if i'd bet on it :)

The industrialized way of life is on a downward curve. Energy and resources will become harder to come by in time. Cars are not part of the equation as they use massive amounts of energy.

Inductive charging usually has a 10-20% loss. That's even more energy to waste trying to haul > 3000lbs across the land.

I think it would be truely spectacularly awesome, if they got it to work, and it was implemented across the country. My belief however, is that it will be stifled into nonexistance, or ignored until there's no other choice, then driven up into the stratosphere by demand, before we see any usage. Algae farms for diesel fuel, solar farms for lecky, and education for idiots all remain vastly unused areas for agressive expansion. The stupidity factor is the most infuriating part, to me. We actually have a solar farm in my county. It's a coop deal with shares sold to folks with deep pockets. The power generated is sold to the local grid for a profit. The stupid part? there's only one, despite demand for more, using prime farmland, scarse enough to begin with, and it looks like they used the worst type of cells to do it with. Meh, I guess I should be grateful they haven't figured out how to tax pedestrians!
Brian L.

Energy and resources will become harder to come by in time.

I'm sure I've seen a Hummer powered by a gasifier on youtube or similar, so I guess there's always that old school tech we can fall back on. :lol: 8)

I can imagine these stickers labeled with: "Not allowed for person using Pace maker " !! :lol: :lol:

Doc

REdiculous said:
Energy and resources will become harder to come by in time.

I'm sure I've seen a Hummer powered by a gasifier on youtube or similar, so I guess there's always that old school tech we can fall back on. :lol: 8)

Ha, i think that idea is kinda funny. Just like producing ethanol from foodstuff as a fall back fuel. Would not meet a hundredth of our current energy needs, and population keeps going higher. Imagine how fast the forests would be depleted :shock:

We have to look for more efficient forms of transport than cars, adding another 10% - 20% energy loss to electric power is a bad start.

I like the inductive coil concept, but we already have low tech methods to implement something similar, have the far left lane designated for EV use, and use a similar concept to how they power a light rail train, while on the freeway, you use power directly from these power transmission lines, and then battery to and from the freeway.

I know it's got a lot of logistical impracticalities, but I bet it would be a lot more efficient, and if you had the battery on a separate circuit, I don't see why you couldn't be charging it while the motor is being powered directly from the transmission lines. :?:

I agree with Neptronix about the energy shortage issue. Also the idea of the passenger car being outmoded, or at least overly used, for the sake of comfort. Most folks today will never know the joy of not forking over money to big oil. They lack the courage to step outside their comfort zone, even temporarily. I did it, switching to diesel power was the bigest leap of faith I ever made. Watching local biodiesel makers price themselves right out of the market was very frustrating. I would still be driving a 6.2 chevy though, if the credit card company hadn't stiffed me. That and two vehicle break in's was the catalyst for my donation, and switch to ebikes. If they want my tools now, they gotta enter my home, and stare down a man, with a weapon.
Brian L.

Nep is on the right track - that personal automobiles being the size they are - that's the problem.

Newsflash to anyone who thinks road capacity in urban areas is going to increase - it's not going to. At least here in Austin TX USA, I've been to the meetings where we are planning 50 years into the future. They think urban rail is the answer. They acknowledged that the main highway through the city will never be expanded in any way. The other highway is getting 1 extra toll lane, in maybe 6 years from now. Surface streets - NEVER to be expanded. Since most people believe we should all work the same hours, I can't wait to see how they handle traffic during rush hours.

If people keep thinking cars are the predominant transportation in dense areas, they better get use to parking garages/lots taking up our precious space.

I drove my car to Whole Foods on Saturday, into the parking underneath the store. What a cluster-fook.

Back