• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Charger Lipo question

Secret1511

100 W
I orded 4 6s lipo 25c from hobbyking.
What kind of charger do i need?
I like to charge the battery as quick as possible.

Ypedal said:
how to you intend to arrange them .. volt / ah.. ?

48v ? 100v ?.... 24v

I like to arrange them at 12s2p 44,4 v 10a

you can wire it up as one battery and use any of these for the BMS:

http://www.bestekpower.com/444v12spcmbmspcbforli-ionli-polymerbatterypack/

and you can use a regular 36V lifepo4 charger adjusted to 49.8V.

the D132 is $29. i have prices on some of the others too if you need.

dnmun said:
you can wire it up as one battery and use any of these for the BMS:

http://www.bestekpower.com/444v12spcmbmspcbforli-ionli-polymerbatterypack/

and you can use a regular 36V lifepo4 charger adjusted to 49.8V.

the D132 is $29. i have prices on some of the others too if you need.

Ok that is with a BMS. But i also like to expand the batterypack in the future.
Isn't it easyer to charge with a ballance or bulkcharger?

you said 12S. if you wanted to build another battery longer in series then you would go buy another BMS to control it. bulk chargers are able to push more current but if your pack is far out of balance then the BC168 will balance it faster. but take a lot longer for the entire pack to be charged. the icharger and hyperion use balancing networks like a BMS so they would charge an unbalanced pack at the same rate as a BMS, except the bulk charger would be able to get it there faster.

the reason to use a BMS is not for cheap or for making it easy, but to prevent a fire caused by overcharging the lipo pack, or from over discharging it or from shorting the outputs and causing a fire.

well, if you want to play the lipo game, you will need an RC charger no matter what, then you can bulk charge or keep using the RC charger if you want... but the initial ballance/cycle process of pack building requires a proper unit.

i love the 3010B, but it only does up to 10 cells.

the hyperion 1420 can do up to 14 cells .. ( ok charger but i dislike the menu functions ) so it can charge the whole pack in one go.

a BMS and dumb charger is yet another option, not a bad one, but make sure the BMS can handle your motor/controller requirements .. amps.

A good starting point would be a decent RC charger of at least 6s, or 8s which would be 150-300w in power. 300w will charge pretty quick. 14s hyperion chargers are poplular.

Why? This setup is a great multi chemistry multi voltage charger, that I assure you will have other uses down the road. Balancing one pack instead of the whole pile for example, or charging your car battery. Perhaps not perfectly convenient, but it will charge whatever you get in the future.

Then later, if you wish to get into bulk charging or additional bms use, then you spend more for that. But your initial purchase of a power supply and an RC charger will never be wasted money. It's just so useful to have a tool that charges everything you ever get.

dogman said:
A good starting point would be a decent RC charger of at least 6s, or 8s which would be 150-300w in power. 300w will charge pretty quick. 14s hyperion chargers are poplular.

Why? This setup is a great multi chemistry multi voltage charger, that I assure you will have other uses down the road. Balancing one pack instead of the whole pile for example, or charging your car battery. Perhaps not perfectly convenient, but it will charge whatever you get in the future.

Then later, if you wish to get into bulk charging or additional bms use, then you spend more for that. But your initial purchase of a power supply and an RC charger will never be wasted money. It's just so useful to have a tool that charges everything you ever get.

Ok thanks for the info.
Is this something?

http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/etronix_powerpal_multi_output_performance_charger_et0210-5-p-20647.html

but you still have to buy a power supply to power the balance charger. and it costs $170!!

you can buy a BMS and really large bulk charger for a lot less. but you gotta do what you you gotta do. when they say you gotta use a balance charger there is not much else to do but spend the money.

dnmun said:
but you still have to buy a power supply to power the balance charger. and it costs $170!!

you can buy a BMS and really large bulk charger for a lot less. but you gotta do what you you gotta do. when they say you gotta use a balance charger there is not much else to do but spend the money.

Ok you got a point. I have orded 4 6s lipo 25c
I have a modded lyen 9fet controller that i wan't to run at 50a
What Bms do you recommend? And what are the costs?

the D131 is $58 and can handle 80A continuous and 180A at cut out. but several of those 12S will handle that much current, 50A, before cut out. even my D126 will handle 50A at cut out.

dnmun said:
the D131 is $58 and can handle 80A continuous and 180A at cut out. but several of those 12S will handle that much current, 50A, before cut out. even my D126 will handle 50A at cut out.

Is it easy to wire? And what kind of charger do i need?

http://www.hobbypartz.com/75p-1220-charger.html?gclid=CNa3z9_N57ICFayPPAod10MAPw
Will balance charge your 12s2p pack in about 1.5 hours.

If you read a few of the "charger" threads on this forum, it will prepare you for the inevitable disappointment of the appearance "Magic smoke" from your charger !
It seems there are very few chargers that are immune from random terminal failure after an unpredictable short life !

Back