Charging battery thru battery terminal?

Wullen

100 µW
So I have a built a battery in a reention case and a daly BMS with common port. with charging and load on same chord on the BMS. Its a 13s 7p battery som it should be able to take quite some amps. But the big problem as I understand it is the simple DC port for charging can not take more than 4 amps or so. And I bought a 9 amp charger and was thinking about the posibility to charge it thru the battery terminal. Which can handle 9 amps without any problems, since my motor can pull 25 amps.

This fast charging is ment for charging in the field, lunch stop/Café charging. And at home I use a 2 amp charger for longevity of the battery.

Is there anything im missing here? Would the charging current go thru the DC port any way and melt it? Even though I charge it thru the battery terminals?

You can get barrel connectors that go to 9 amps. And of course you can get Anderson connectors that go to 30 amps easily.

BMSes that have a single output wire have no problem with charging through the battery port. 2 port BMSes (with separate charge and discharge paths) cannot be safely charged this way, since the motor output path cannot stop current from flowing into the battery.

With your common port BMS, you should have no problem charging. You could install a second, larger connector in parallel with the existing one if you wanted to use two different chargers. You don't want to bypass the BMS when charging. You can connect to the P+ and P- terminals on the BMS. Using a connector is better, as there is less chance of accidentally reversing the polarity and blowing things up.

You can get barrel connectors that go to 9 amps. And of course you can get Anderson connectors that go to 30 amps easily.

BMSes that have a single output wire have no problem with charging through the battery port. 2 port BMSes (with separate charge and discharge paths) cannot be safely charged this way, since the motor output path cannot stop current from flowing into the battery.
Which barrel connector can handle 9 amps? Is there any that can fit in the place of the original one?

Which barrel connector can handle 9 amps? Is there any that can fit in the place of the original one?
Tensility 50-00540 (plug) and Tensility 54-00311 (jack) as an example. There are lots available. Digikey has a dozen barrel connectors that will do 9+ amps.

Back