chepest ebike kit?

ev_nred

100 W
hello,
I was looking at a 2 stroke 66cc kit to motorize a bicycle and was shocked that it only cost $150
now the cheapest hub motor kit is about $500 :shock:
so I was wondering if there are any electric chain drive KIT's Under $300?
cheers,
jacob R

I'm not sure you really want the cheapest of anything... you get what you pay for.

Prime example in the EV world is lead vs. lithium: lead has lower entry price, but costs more over time and has other significant drawbacks (heavy, slow to charge, etc).

i was looking to get a kit with out batterys. and then hook up a small lipo pack.

What do you expect to find included in the kit? If you expect to have a battery in the kit, perhaps you should consider comparing the cost of a 1000 gallons of fuel included with your $150 ICE?
Please do not buy a $300 electric kit. I fear you will be very disappointed. This is what leads to an e-bike's bad press.

Gordo said:
Please do not buy a $300 electric kit. I fear you will be very disappointed. This is what leads to an e-bike's bad press.

One could very well say the same thing about the $150 ice kit.

heres a good one!
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200422049_200422049

Quote from that site:

Speed (MPH) Up to 15- MPH Watts: 450- Battery24V

This MIGHT be half-way decent once you over-volt it to 36V, but I doubt you will be happy with it. It's running at 24V and whenever they say "up to 15MPH" especially on a cheaper kit, you will probably get closer to 10 MPH in real world use.

For another $100 including shipping, you could get a much nicer hub motor IMHO, and if you get a DD like the 9 x 7 in it's various forms, depending how fast you want to go, at 45V you can get 12 AH's of good quality LiPo for around $300, and then you have something that you will be much happier with.

Do you have the equipment to charge the LiPo already? If not, expect to spend at least another $200 on a good charger and power supply.

I like Amped Bikes, but that's just my preference, there are a ton more that sell the same basic kit around the same price (Ebikes.ca, E-Bike kit, etc.).

Nothing is perfect, and you might end up up-grading/changing connectors on any kit you get, but I'd go with something more proven. The Curry stuff is cheaper sure, but you do get what you pay for. :)

I wouldn't be afraid to try Cellmans 150 dollar kit. Not sure how much shipping is though. Price is right if you want cheap like the Title says :mrgreen:

I have a cell_man 250w kit, it was well worth the money, and very efficient . The 350w kit he offers now ( for the same price :oops: ) should be pretty nice.

Forget that currie electro drive setup. It doesn't have any potential, is heavy, not efficient, and loud.

If you can get the cellman hubmotor for cheaper, do it. But the I zip is a very tried and true motor. It's able to climb suprising grades for the price! It is however, noisy and in 24v slow. Without the battery, it should be pretty inexpensive.

Several people I know have gone the gas route, and had problems with the cheap carburators that come with em. If you do go gas, get a better kit from a respected dealer like Spooky Tooth Cycles, not an ebay dropshipper.

Another pretty affordable kit, sans battery is the Aotema hubmotor from High Tech Bikes. Goes up to 30 mph on 48v. A very solid and proven, fast wound motor, it remains the cheapest 30 mph setup I know of.

heres a good one!

I bought buy my currie ezip Mountain Trailz complete bicycle for $299.00! It's the same kit only a complete bicycle. The ezips are slow and the lead acid will wear out and the motor is brushed so if you overvolt it (like I did) and run it at 36v it'll run fast, but not long. I much prefer my ebikekit minimotor kit which I got on sale for $150.00. And the kit that cell man is selling I think the same motor. Just add a battery a cheap craigslist bicycle and your off to a better start. And stay away from lead acid. Better off going lifepo4 or lipo. Lipo if you want just jump right in and learn and lifepo4 if you want an easier to use battery (i.e. plug and charge). :D

Back