Chuleo's BMCv4 Cruiser feat. glassfibre battery Box

Chuleo

10 mW
Some time ago I found this forum and i was very pleased with the stuff other people built.
I used to go to work by train or by motorcycle but both means of transport are more or less shitty...
The trains are always full, connections are bad...sometimes I miss a connecting train because an idiot is blocking the door. It really pisses me off sometimes :D
If i go by motorcycle...I get usually stuck in traffic and I'm only 15mins faster and it costs me about a hundred franks (approx 100USD) a month... not really cheap :cry: .

But whining about everything doesn't solve anything :D . So I got to do something about this... Self do, self have.

I bought a a new mountain bike... but riding 25km with a 2km 15% hill climb is pretty hard.. a motor would perfecly fill my needs. This is my first build, my first time working with fibre glass and epoxy. Had some issues but nothing not solvable.
Here's the bike with just the controller attached as a test..
file.php

IMAG0239.jpg
So i have to build a battery box. Started with the blue stuff
IMAG0240.jpg
file.php

View attachment 10
Some sanding.. works pretty well.
file.php

IMAG0242.jpg
IMAG0243.jpg
Does it fti? Yes, it does!
file.php

IMAG0244.jpg
Almost finished sanding...
file.php

IMAG0247.jpg
Still fits in :mrgreen:
file.php

IMAG0249.jpg

So..what yre you going to do if you haven't got any seperating agent? Bron plastic tape works very well (only for epoxy) don't use it with anything containing solvents. Brown tape has some significant advantages..(we'll come to that). The brown tape gives a very smooth surface... too bad it is inside after putting the laminates. :D
file.php

IMAG0250.jpg
Now the first layer glass fibre.. (took me 3 days for all layers..its about 7 layers thick)
file.php

IMAG0251.jpg
file.php

IMAG0253.jpg
file.php

IMAG0255.jpg
file.php

IMAG0258.jpg

Removing the blue stuff is not a very enjoyable work. It is messy...very messy.
First i cut a hole with a proxxon cutting disk. It goes trough the glass fibre compound like a knife trough butter. Better wear a breathing mask as the dust is not very healthy.
file.php

View attachment 9
Finally done after 90mins..
file.php

IMAG0260.jpg
Now the brown tape still sticks to the blue stuff... but it also sticks to my fingers. Better just remove it in a single piece.
IMAG0261.jpg
Done.
IMAG0262.jpg
Ok. the battery box still fits in but it looks ugly as f***
file.php

IMAG0264.jpg
file.php

IMAG0267.jpg
file.php

IMAG0268.jpg
Now to the bad part: applying filling paste and sanding... about 1000 times the same procedure, very annoying.
file.php

IMAG0270.jpg
I had to make the hole bigger so one part of the 20AH ping battery fits in.
file.php

IMAG0283.jpg
file.php

Fortunately the controller fits very well into the bike rack.
file.php

IMAG0286.jpg
The I put some hard PVC on the rack. Secured with hot glue. (We'll see how long it takes to brake it :twisted: )
file.php

View attachment 6
Mounted bike rack.
file.php

IMAG0288.jpg
Here's the first impression how the bike will look when finished.
file.php

IMAG0290.jpg
Applying som spray filler..
file.php

IMAG0293.jpg
file.php

IMAG0294.jpg
I remanaged the cables, looks better than before doesn't it?
file.php

IMAG0296.jpg
Now painting...not perfect but doesn't look too bad to me.
file.php

IMAG0297.jpg

The cap of the box has to be thin and very well fitting. So i took clear plastic foil and stretched it over the battery box.
View attachment 6
IMAG0300.jpg
Some drops of epoxy managed to go on the colored surface...now it's ruined :( Could have thougt of that happening. :roll:
IMAG0301.jpg
file.php

Again polyester filler..
IMAG0303.jpg
file.php

It finally looks like an ebike, success! :D
IMAG0304.jpg
file.php

This is my charger connector. I like the rigid style of these powercon connectors
IMAG0305.jpg
file.php

On off Switch.
IMAG0306.jpg

I'm not yet finished with the build...(I hope so in one or two weeks). I dont know if I leave it white.. I will come up with some new pictures later. Hope you enjoy this thread. If you have questions... feel free to ask.

Back