City Coco S1 Sport not going as fast as it should be!

Ixlmusic

1 µW
I derestricted my city coco S1 Sport 2000w 20Ah model as it wasn't as fast as it should be, maybe just under 30mph. About 2 months passed of reaching speeds of approximately 40mph (I wouldn't ever do that for extended periods though)

Let's get to some context - one evening I came home from work on the bike and it was just fine all the way home. But the following morning when I woke up there was a huge power loss.

The 3 speed settings became one, reaching a maximum speed of 21mph on a full battery. And I couldn't understand why. There are no obvious signs of damage anywhere, and I haven't done anything different to what I normally would do.

Two weeks pass and I have to go for a trip somewhere one evening. On the way there, the bike was still slow, almost as though its restricted itself. But for some reason on the way back, the power came back again and was back to full working order. But I didn't do anything??

It seems to have a mind of its own.

The bike stayed fast for at least another month, and then yesterday on my way home from work again, its gone slow. The same as before. And I have no idea why.

The white cables derestriction cables from the controller don't even work, they never have. So they've never been connected anyway. So I had to use the handlebar code. But if I do the handlebar code again nothing happens, doesn't turn restriction on OR off. I'm really not educated on this stuff so if anyone here is educated and can help me I would really really appreciate it!! If you read this far thank you for your time what an amazing person you are.

I don't know if it's the controller confused, or if it's the battery, or a fuse. No idea!

The intermittent nature of the problem suggests a wiring or connection problem. That is almost always where such things are caused. Such problems are often temperature related, so when colder the problem is worse than when hot.

It could be anything from:
--a wire broken inside a cable (usually where they bend or are repeatedly flexed or pulled) that you can't see, but that touches most of the time, but doesn't others.
to
--a wire broken away from a connector contact (at the back of the connector)
--a wire broken away from a PCB inside a housing
--a connector that isn't waterproof and has some corrosion on contacts
--a connector whose contacts are not well-crimped (or soldered)
--a connector that is not fully plugged in
--a connector whose contacts are not fully seated and locked so when plugged in the contacts back out a bit, but when not plugged in look perfectly fine

Etc.

So taht's where I would look first. Which connectors? Id' check everything, just in case. Most likely? Motor halls, throttle connector, display/controller connector.

It could be the controller or display has a memory location used for the setting that is intermittently nto reading back correctly, or the brain chip is otherwise changing settings, but this would typically only cause a failure when initially powered on, and shouldn't change while operating.

Back