Considering a tadpole trike for my next build

Bum_in_SF

1 µW
I've been trying to figure out what I wanna do for my next build. I've been seriously considering getting a tadpole recumbent trike and adding a motor to it. I'm thinking that unlike my last mountain bike build that would wheely anytime I have it any the at all, the position on a recumbent tadpole trike being so much lower to the ground would make it possible to but doesn't some decent power while keeping all the wheels on the ground.... In other words, a heck of a lot of fun. Besides fun I'm also ideally gonna work out some form of tiring trailer (nothing huge) to carry some bags etc (or anything in that ball park).

Anyway, I have pretty much no experience with trikes, but looks like the recumbent tadpole is what I'd like the most.... Not sure what brands/models... Seems like they won't exactly cheap, but my funds are not limitless. Besides any advice on picking an initial ride... Also trying to think through what's the best option as far as motors go. My last build had a cyclone mid-drive running at 80v and as much as 60 amps continues 120 or so burst. My initial thoughts are that a mid-drive may not be the best option here, so debating between a geared or direct drive hub motor. I'm thinking geared (even tho pedaling is no to something I plan to do a lot of... But still may be something I do... Who knows may even prefer pesal assist.. tho guessing the throttle will be my main go to). I'm thinking the popular Mac geared motor may be a good go to. And when it comes to controllers, I'm very much looking towards one that I can run the open source firmware that people on they forum have worked on.... I had previously built a controller with a Lebowski brain in the past that did FOC... And def think I wanna go with another FOC controller, and upgrading/modifying controllers it's very up my alley.... I was thinking maybe a S09S or S12S... And would definitely be t looking into upgrading the FETs as well as the software. I currently have a few 10s4p packs available, I was thinking about either running a 10s8p or maybe rebuilding to something more than a 10s... Tho sticking to 10s would save sooner money.

Anyway, I think that just about sums things up for now. Would love to hear what people think, especially from anyone who's done a similar build our has at least considered one before deciding against it. Happy to answer any questions... And will try to do some research and update the post with what I'm leaving towards, etc.

For 12HP (80v @ 100a) build you will need a donor-trike that is pretty hefty.
Your right about mid-drive...stock drivetrain is designed around 250W human power.....your proposed power is 40X that!
A rear-hub motor could work, but at those watts your looking at something without a cassette if using stock 135mm wheel hub width.
I suppose a 1X freewheel will work, but sucks to ride without power.
Avoid aluminum frames (which most are made from).....stick to steel/chromalloy frame.
I have found that anything over 25 MPH on a tadpole and things start to get twitchy. My trike-conversion maxes out at 30MPH.
After a few close calls I got the hang of things using e-power, but spirited 30MPH rides are not for the faint of heart.
I love my e-trike. I liked it so much that I built a second for my wife!
My e-conversion project was engineered with a focus on value, performance, and stealth.
My build does not look like its even e-powered. It is also very quiet.
Motor wheel swaps out for standard wheel: Still provides efficient PEDAL-ONLY option for fitness rides without sacrificing my speed (human-powered speed is important to me).
Utility....can carry groceries, a pizza, laptop, or other stuff. Great for running errands around town.
Light weight and compact....need to be able to lift trike by myself into truck along with my wife's trike (same build).

Performance specs:
Exceeded expectations.
Donor-trike: Used $500 TerraTrike Cruise. Chromoly Frame. 300lb rider rated.
I went with a geared motor.
With 44V 12S $50(!) performance 8AH pack. 28MPH max (750W going into motor), sustained average 22MPH for entire pack. 25 mile range @15MPH.
With 36V 10S6P $500 off-the-shelf 18AH Sanyo pack. 22MPH max (500W going into motor), sustained average 20MPH for entire pack. 45+ mile range @15MPH.
49lbs fully loaded....yes, only 49lb!
Both trikes fit in back of mid-size pickup (Chevy Colorado long-bed).
Untitled.gif

my scorpion fx is 17s battery, a phaserunner at 2500watts w/10amp field weakening with a mxus xf40 DD. lately i hit 70+km/h daily down a certain hill sometimes pulling a bobyak trailer behind me to work and back but usually cruise at 50km/h for a 80 km roundtrip. the scorpion isnt twitchy at all, im comfortable doing 60km/h with only 1 hand. have to have rear suspension and a fattish tire though. the downside to the fx is i cant fit a moped tire in the rear triangle. so im running a 20x2.35 slick with a 20x2.0 maxx-daddy inside it with a moped tube. the front tires are 20x2.20 holy rollers (inverted knobby), the best tire ive found for braking ability and suspension, theyre like ABS braking compared to schwalbe marathon or fatter slicks that just go into skidding under hard braking.

Back