Controller Failure? / Wheel Locking Up?

edventure

100 W
Hi,

Did not know how to put a good subject on this post. Finally got my bike operational again after being down for two weeks due to motor repair in this post. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54647 Had ridden it back and forth to work two times, "about 80 miles" no problems. On Tuesday had to leave early and had forgotten to charge the bike before heading home. Got about halfway and the bike went dead, I think due to the low volt limit being reached, "Currently Set to 42V" Ended up pedaling the remaining 10 miles home, not much fun. The battery seemed to charge just fine and thought I was back in business. I drove the following morning back to work and just as I started climbing this long incline, "only 2-3% Grade" the bike just stops. I now had about 8 to 9 miles to go before I was at work and a fairly decent accent that needed to be traversed to make it. One good thing was the weather was almost perfect.

The bike was running fine for the first 10 to 12 miles and when it stopped it was very sudden no symptoms before this. The only thing different I did this morning was play with the 3 speed switch to see if I could save power on the way in as a test. I would have the cruise control on and flip the switch from II-medium to III-max, not sure if doing this while the motor is being driven is a bad idea or not. When it finally stopped working I was just accelerating with the throttle normally. The display still showed full batter power but when twisting the throttle nothing. I then pedaled about 7 miles and this seemed to be working fine. I even left the controller off for a while while doing this to see if possibly cooling the motor would get it to kick in again but no luck. Finally I made it to the top of the hill about two miles from my final destination and was pretty happy because I thought this would be the easiest part since it was a good 3% + grade downhill for about a mile of the remaining trip. I started down the hill rolling and it actually got up to 30mph no assist other than gravity as I was getting closer to the bottom I had hit the brakes at some point and soon after I feel this extreme vibration through the entire bike as if the wheel was hitting something and the bike slowed down quickly. The controller was on at this point and the cycle analyst was activated. I then discovered that it was very difficult to pedal the bike anymore and ended up pushing it the last mile into work. My feeling was either something had failed on the motor or the the controller had failed. My wife picked me up yesterday evening and I thought about it and decided to unplug the controller this morning to see if the resistance changed any. After unplugging I could immediately pedal with no resistance at all. This tells me something has failed in the controller. But now I have a few questions.

1. Did the controller just fail or was it due to some problem with the motor caused by my rebuild or my playing with the 3 speed switch while driving the motor?
2. Should I have turned the controller off as I was pedaling the remaining distance.
3. Has someone had this same thing happen with a 123077ST-MII-Lyen Edition Controller/ If so were you able to replace the particular components inside that caused the failure?
4. Any test I can do to confirm it is not the motor that has caused the controller to fail prematurely?
5. Don't think this has anything to do with it, but the battery voltage dropping below a minimum the night before and causing the entire system to shutdown could this have anything to do with what happened the following morning or just a big coincidence? "I think just bad Luck"
6. Lastly, is there any controller that may be more robust than the model I am using for my battery voltage/capacity and motor combination?

Bike Specs:
Controller: 12 FET 3077 Mark II Extreme Modder LYEN Edition Controller
Motor: Crystalyte 5303 V2 "From Lyen" Lyen had said this is the same as the crystalyte-x-5304r-d.htm from electricrider.com, but that is was a custom sensored version that I don't think they sell any more.
Battery: 32 Headway Cells 40152S in 16S2P setup. 48V 30Ah.
Cycle Analysts Version 2.3

I will email Lyen to see if he has any thoughts. I may take the controller apart, but will wait a couple days to hear back from him. I may buy a new controller regardless and rebuild this one as a backup.

Thanks,

Ed

shorza said:
Songs like a FET has blown in the controller.
Someone with more knowledge and a possible cause for this will pipe in soon.

This is my initial guess too, but there could have been something that caused it to blow too. I posted a screen shot of my controller settings in case someone sees something out of place. I did change the block time right after I had repaired the motor from 1 second to 0.2 seconds, not sure if this propagated the problem.

Ed

Well after a few emails back and forth with Lyen I decided to open the 12 FET controller to see if I could determine what had failed. It was immediately obvious that two of the large filter caps on the board had failed due to their tops bulging. It was caps C201 & C202 rated at 470uF 100V. Additionally, I tested the continuity on the individual phases and found phase C has at least one bad IRFB3077 FET. I have ordered replacement FETS and caps and am just waiting for them to arrive. I have also asked Lyen to send me an invoice for an 18FET controller which I am going to try as possibly a primary and I will keep the 12FET as a backup or use it to build my wife a bike. I will post once I know the problem has been corrected.

Attachments

• SHorted-Phase-Controller.JPG
    SHorted-Phase-Controller.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 709
Back