Conversion of Trek Top Fuel 9.9 Carbon Fibre

d8veh

1 GW
A friend of a friend owns a fast car business. His road cars can reach speeds of over 250 mph. he wanted his $6000 Trek MTB converted, and he didn't want it limited to 15 mph. It's not an easy bike to convert because it has front and rear through axles that prevent a hub-drive conversion, and it has a BB90 bottom bracket so crank drives are tricky, especially as I wouldn't want to risk clamping anything to the carbon fibre frame.

It looked like the best chance was going to be with a BBSHD, but it still wasn't clear whether the thickness of the BB was going to be too much because it's not tubular. Instead, it's a bulbous moulding and has the cables exiting at exactly the worst position:

The overall width of the BB was about 80mm, so it looked like the 100mm BBSHD would be best. We decided to take a chance and ordered the motor from Em3ev along with one of their 50v triangle batteries. While I was waiting for delivery, I dismantled the crank to see what we needed there. The first problem was that on eachside of the BB was an inner web of about 28mm diameter, which would prevent the 33.3mm main shaft going through. I ground those away with my dremmel, which left it looking like this:

The plan was to make a couple of steel top-hat bushes to replace the original pressed in bearings and bring the inner diameter down to 33.3mm to fit the BBSHD. here's one of them that was made to fit exactly in the empty profile of the BB:

The motor arrived and we were able to do a test fit, but it was a nogo. There was insufficient clearance between the motor and the BB (13mm dimension). We wondered whether there was a chance that it might fit if we removed the cables and the little outlet plate from the frame. It just fitted with nothing to spare, so the cables were re-routed down the outside of the frame. It just about scraped some paint of as it went into position.

The next step was to stop it from rotating. the normal bottom bracket clamp plate wasn't going to work because if the motor moved a couple of degrees, it would exert a huge crushing force on the frame. Also, we didn't want to apply any crushing force to the carbon fibre BB. That meant we need a torque arm somewhere. The only convenient anchor point was the suspension pivot bolt, which rotated unfortunately. We solved it bu replacing the titanium pivot bolt with a steel replica that had an additional shoulder that we could use as a pivot point for the torque arm. That means that the torque arm is retained, but not clamped, so that the arm is stationary while the bolt can rotate with the suspension. We needed an additional spacer to go behind the plate on the main motor shaft to hold everything in line. Here's the torque plate:

One further problem was that the battery's bag was too big for the frame, so we cut the back off and stitched on some velcro flaps. It works but we might want to make a complete custom bag later.

Everything worked a treat. there was a minor electrical problem with the motor, which was soon sorted. I was surprised with how user-friendly the motor is. Em3ev or whoever had programmed it with some sort of power ramp. You can feel the power ramping up as the speed increases. It's much less violent that the GNG system that I used on a previous build. The gear sensor also worked very well. Overall weight is 25.1kg, which is very light for a bike with a 19Ah 50v battery. The guy has his bike now and seems to be pleased with it. I don't think hell be getting a bike rack for his car though. This car has 1500 BHP:

Here's the finished bike:

Wow, nice job! 8)

That is quite the challenge, I would be very afraid of working on a bike that nice, but I can see you did a great job!

What kind of performance is he getting out of it?

I am curious to put something similar together with a BBS02 on a full susp. myself!

First I should probably get my recumbent back on the road tho, I am having too much fun with E-Zilla :twisted:

white tires are a bit naff, but easy to look past when your looking at that frame! Sooooo thexy!

LI-ghtcycle said:
Wow, nice job! 8)

What kind of performance is he getting out of it?

I am curious to put something similar together with a BBS02 on a full susp. myself!

First I should probably get my recumbent back on the road tho, I am having too much fun with E-Zilla :twisted:

A colleague has the normal 48v BBSHD with a 48v battery. This one is the Em3ev 50v version, which is definitely more powerful. It's difficult to judge the performance because the controller doesn't give all the power at once. I don't know whether it works on time or speed, but as you gather momentum, you can feel the controller stepping up the power. It can hold 28 to 30 mph on the flat without pedalling. The speed downhill depends on gearing. For me, the surprising thing was how smooth, quiet and manageable the power is. You could put your grandma on it and not have to worry. The gear-change switch works perfectly.

Edited: Sorry posting from my cell, and I didn't get a complete page load before I posted, so I thought you where looking for options for what motor to use. Didn't realize bike was already converted. Anyway I let the post stand if someone else is having special needs for thru axle motors.

If you check with Justin at ebikes.ca they do have a hub motor fitted for thru axles. Can't remember peak power but it is light weight around 4 kilo iirc, because motor is build to their specs with plenty of material removed, between spokes holes on the flanges, back iron etc.

Put one in front and one in the rear and you got a 2 wd hub conversion without any headaches or special machining and I am sure those motors will overvolt as well. Put heat sinks on them and add FF or oil and you should be able to get enough power to make the e-grin stick. 9c motors have been pushed past 5 kw peak, so I think you should be able to get at least 10 kw peak in 2 wd setup. Maybe even more with good cooling.

If you read the Duty Cycle AWD build he did 60 with dual mac 8. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51612&hilit=+2wd

Now if you beef up the battery and get two decent controllers I am sure those lightweight thru axle motors will work very well for an AWD build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljoA8xznXb0&t=0m22s

We've been doing some development on this bike. It's now fitted with an additional Q128 front motor, which brings the power up to 2500w and gives two-wheel drive. It really goes well now, reaching about 41 mph, and it's very sure-footed. I love it. Obviously, the acceleration has improved a lot with two motors.

The Q128 doesn't come in disc version, so we had to get it machined to accept a disc. Due to a mix-up, the wrong side got machined, so the Q128 went backwards. Luckily, the clutch can be flipped to work in the opposite direction, and after some teething problems, I managed to get the motor to spin the other way too, so everything was OK in the end.

Here it is again with fancy alarm and tracker, uprated front disc and Q128 motor. We're making special torque arms for it. the ones in the photo were OK for testing.

Machined motor side-plate:

Disc dimpled to clear screws:

First controller might have worked in the correct direction, but had to be replaced by an aluminium box one to get the motor to run properly in the reverse (now forward) direction.

Great job; good to see you posting again even though it usually costs me $$$ for a new project.

Back