• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Copenhagen Wheel finally shipping, but

The specs my husband got about this wheel seem like they're hiding something.
Can you decipher this?

Rear motor, it only days 350w.
Battery only says 48v, 279Wh

Doesn't give a motor voltage or a battery Ah...

Any info would be appreciated.
Ginny
Denver, CO

imagesinthewind said:
The specs my husband got about this wheel seem like they're hiding something.
Can you decipher this?

Rear motor, it only days 350w.
Battery only says 48v, 279Wh

Doesn't give a motor voltage or a battery Ah...

Any info would be appreciated.
Ginny
Denver, CO
If the battery is 48v then the motor is also 48v. Divide wh by v to get ah approx. 5.8ah.

Superpedestrian is claiming 30 miles per charge. Ok, Up To 30 but I'm betting in the Denver 'hills', he'll average 15-16 if he only uses it on hills and from a stop to get up to spwed.
He's waited 3.5 years for this dumb wheel.

Thanks.

I hope somewhere in the neighborhood of 20. He cycles for the workout, so he's not likely to just throttle and go. About to start commuting to work again, about 55 miles round trip.
Too many companies claim 50-80 mile range with no proof, then consumers are angry when they realize those claims were big lies.

When I had a 36v 350w motor with small battery, I got around 10wh per mi. and pedaled a lot. When I got a 750w 48v system I went much faster and consequently used less of my pedaling energy and more of the battery's and got about 20wh per mi. on hilly 16mi loop.

That wheel , might , be Ok , If , you lived in Copenhagen or Amsterdam and only rode for very short distances , on flat ground, at slow speeds.
You have hills where you live you say. You/He is much better off with a hub motor that is at least 750 watts, or a mid-drive system also 750 watts or more.

To save the battery /s from short life, I usually use a battery/s with at least 10 amps @ , or in other words, with 450 to over 500 watt hours of capacity .

You have come to the right place. Endless-Sphere.

Do You/He ride off road anytime or in the snow ? if so then a Fat Bike or 27.5 Plus Bike would be better as well. If you do not ride in the snow , and want to also use the bike on the weekends up in the mountains, the new 27.5 plus bikes are very much loved by the people in bike shops that have every type of bike test out. 27.5 plus size wheels/tires are gaining in popularity , but if he is only going to commute on the road , and only in perfect or near perfect weather then a 26 or 29er/700c will be a better commuter .

What does he like to ride , 26 inch or he tall enough to ride a 29er ?
27.5 is a good modern option .

Do you have enough influence with him to get him to forget about that, as you so aptly put it " Dumb Wheel " to get a much better system for where you live and the distance ?

imagesinthewind said:
Superpedestrian is claiming 30 miles per charge. Ok, Up To 30 but I'm betting in the Denver 'hills', he'll average 15-16 if he only uses it on hills and from a stop to get up to spwed.
He's waited 3.5 years for this dumb wheel.

Thanks.

I've built several ebikes so far and I have an older eFit, i think it is.
Actually, the Copenhagen got me started in e bikes. I was drinking last night and couldn't remember the math to get to amp hours...

My husband bougth into the Copenhagen wheel when the Kickstarter first came out. He's backer 600-something. Aug 2013.

Since then I converted my recumbent to a front hub 48v 1500w with a 22aH battery that I regularly get 60 miles of range on assist 3.

My upright has a rear 48v 1000w with an 18aH battery but I get more range on it because I can climb better on it than the laid back bike.

Hubby is trying to like the Copenhagen because it's got apps that allow him to regulate things...and he isn't a fan of the way the assist on my builds kicks in from a stop.

I did invest in another electric wheel, the geo-orbital, in order to see and feel the tech. I'm starting a collection...

We'll see on the Copenhagen. Its a long time to wait to find that it's tech is 2 years obsolete.

Ginny
Denver, CO
Rocky Mountains

Oh, and we're both road cyclists. I wanted to convert to electric after a couple knee surgeries. It's really nice to have that bqck up when the knee starts to fatigue.

G.

I had a customer ride in with a flat tire on her new Copenhagen wheel the other day. She said she was in the earliest group of buyers, but had only received her wheel a few days before, shortly after contacting them to complain.

It seemed nicely made. I didn't like that the spokes were proprietary, but I liked that they didn't have heads or elbows. The motor was laced to a quality Sun CR18 rim. I especially liked the torque arm mounted loosely on a hexagonal shaft for positional float. The fact that there was nothing else to disconnect to do the flat repair, and normal sized axle nuts, made me happy. With or without smartphone remote control, this is a format that makes sense for a lot of people.

I'd try one for myself, but I can't afford it or the potentially multi-year wait.

Back