Cordless Drill Style Trigger Throttle Embedded in Hand Grip

turbo1889

100 W
Years ago I built a cheap low power e-bike out of an old cordless drill. Used the drills motor and gear-box as it was with a single speed freewheel adapter welded to the front of the old key style steel chuck and mounted on the back side of the seat down-tube to drive the top of the chain above and behind the crank chain-wheel.

Worked okay but was low power, annoyingly load, and eventually the brushed motor gave up the ghost.

Anyway, the point is that I used the original variable speed trigger unit of the cordless drill just with longer wires soldered onto it and notched the handlebar tube and embedded it in the hand grip below and underneath the brake arm so the throttle was just like a cordless drill on the right hand hand grip. Just squeeze the embedded trigger to go and when you lifted your fingers up to grab and pull the brake lever they physically couldn't also be squeezing the throttle at the same time. Thus no need for throttle disconnect special brake levers or anything like that.

I'm wondering if I'm the only one to ever do a set-up using that kind of cordless drill trigger type throttle embedded in the hand grip (surely I can't be). Is real comfortable and easy to use with a very intuitive feel and I've tried with some although certainly not complete success to copy the same kind of set-up on some of my more recent builds that use modern brush-less motors and electronic motor controllers.

Anyone know if there is anyone out there selling such a style of e-bike throttle ready to use? Anyone, have a good sources for good quality variable pot trigger assemblies. I'm still salvaging them out of cordless drills and not all of them are suitable for conversion to e-bike throttles and its hit and miss.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. (added in edit) = Before I posted I did use the search function and all I got for trigger style throttles was single hand control units guys were building for electric skateboards not much if anything on trigger type throttles embedded in the grip for e-bikes.

I recall someone talking about it before, but I don't know if it was on ES or somewhere else, was a few years ago. I also don't know if they used it embedded in the grip; I think they were using it on a trigger-shifter-sized lever above the brake lever. Or maybe it was justa small brake lever above the rgular one.

It sounds like a workable way depending on how you hold your grips/etc., though I am not sure it could work for me, given my hands go numb when I grip things for very long. :( (so pulling a trigger doesn't work for me, but pushing with a thumb does).

Oh, and Mdd0127 had something that required you lift your fingers off the throttle to get to the brake lever, too, but I don't recall how it worked exactly.

turbo1889 said:
Anyone know if there is anyone out there selling such a style of e-bike throttle ready to use?
I did use the search function and all I got for trigger style throttles was single hand control units guys were building for electric skateboards not much if anything on trigger type throttles embedded in the grip for e-bikes.

3 wire trigger throttle It's Alive and made in USA!!!

This looks okay for pretty low powered rigs, but it would be totally uncontrollable for anything with power...

I got this one from Ridekick and it is actually made in America. Honest! I use it on my trike and it is better as a thumb trigger but it works fine as a finger trigger too.

otherDoc
Darn Teklektik. He beat me to myself! It is fine on 36 volts and might work for 48 but it would be too twitchy at higher voltage. It has at least 3 steps and possibly 4 steps. It can crawl at 3 mph or go at top speed (not that fast for me) It could work well with zombiess Throttle Tamer or the CA.

This is something I might have to go to for throttle. I have right hand problems, and it aggravates my condition to use a twist throttle. Docnjoj, do you think this could work on horizontal handle bars ? O'm going to do some research on this thing. Thanks for posting it.

Harold in CR

Harold in CR said:
This is something I might have to go to for throttle. I have right hand problems, and it aggravates my condition to use a twist throttle. Docnjoj, do you think this could work on horizontal handle bars ? O'm going to do some research on this thing. Thanks for posting it.

Harold in CR
It is normally used on horizontal handlebars on a regular bike to which the Ridekick is attached as a pusher trailer. My trike has vertical handlebars and it works there too.
otherDoc

Back