Crusty old Bafang - worth saving?

benj

100 W
Hi everyone,

I've been given an electric hub and I'm keen to try and revive it. I've tracked it down to being a Bafang 36SWX01-200, so 200 watt. I've opened it up and it's looking pretty gross, although everything seems to turn smoothly enough.

I've not dealt with these hubs before (usually playing with brushless motors and RC gear). I would like to get it going, but not sure on the best way forward. Oh and I'm not looking for this thing to magically push me at any great speed or anything....I know it's a crap spec :lol: I might try and make a mini trike thing for my kid with it.

Would it be worth getting a cheap controller and throttle, and hooking it up to a LiPo? If so, any tips on a controller? It looks like it's got a sensor plug on it I think.

Or is it worth chucking in the bin and getting a cheap eBike wheel and kit from eBay??

Thanks for any advice....pic's of the beastly thing:

bafang1.jpg

bafang2.jpg

bafang3.jpg

If it runs, Sure. Worth throwing a cheap controller on. Especially if your kids get a grin out of it.

That much rust means it's had water in it a long time. the bearings may be shot but bearings are cheap and fairly standard sized. any local bearing shop should have them if you can get them out.

This might help:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35204&hilit=dirty+rusty+bafang

If there's anything wrong with the gears or clutch, you can get a new complete assembly from Greenbikekit.com.c

Back