Current Controller for RC ESCs

gtadmin- My Pink bike showed me some perfect examples of why battery current limiting only protects the battery, and has little to no effect on the current the controller and motor feel. At low speed with the Pink bike on the dyno, battery current was ~35amps, motor current was 650amps!!!!!

rhitee05 said:
Anybody still paying attention, or did everyone move over to the CA thread?
Hey, if Luke is here & interested... I'm following... wish I had all the tech knowledge, but I'm smart enough to follow those that do. :wink: :lol:

If you can keep the costs down so this is reasonable in the grand scheme of the total build, and it works in 2011 :?: :?: :?:

If you build "that" 2011, they will come. :lol: :p 8)

Thanks, deVries. I definitely want to have something going by the end of the year, hopefully much sooner. It will mostly depend on how the initial testing goes... I haven't fully worked out the price side yet, but I'm pretty confident that won't be a showstopper.

Been busy with school and other stuff recently, but I'm very close to getting stuff out the door for the first set of prototypes. I'll post more info here when that happens!

Still watching........ :mrgreen:

Sorry guys, haven't had time to work on this recently. Trying to get a grad school project finished up. I should be done with that fairly soon then I can be back here to make some progress.

I'll take a moment to comb out the long white beard I am growing to bump this thread....... :mrgreen:

This is a needed accesory for the new fighter cat controllers we are about to start testing......so please sir....may we have some more?

anything we can do to help along just say the word.
T

Sorry guys, but I'm running full out now that the school year is back in session. I'm not sure when I'll have a chance to continue the project, so it's effectively suspended at the moment...

It looks highly unlikely that I'm going to be able to work on this any time soon. In addition to doing research and taking two classes, I'm now also teaching an undergraduate course to fill in for a professor who's sick. So, plenty busy.

I'm posting here the EAGLE schematic and layout files for the board I designed. They should be complete, but are untested. It's a 3-board stackup. One board holds the Hall sensors and some signal processing circuitry. The steel flux ring also mounts on this board. The second board holds the circuitry for the current-controlled throttle and ESC interface. The third board has the battery voltage regulator and a bunch of connectors for inputs and outputs. I also included the DXF file which defines the flux ring.

i don't have time to put together any documentation, so all this is presented as-is. If anyone wants to try run with this, they're welcome to. I think the circuits should work, but they're untested so I can't promise anything.

Attachments

• ESC_Ctrl.zip
    169.9 KB · Views: 98
Thanks for the update E. Life is getting crazy these days so i can totaly identify.

Any electronic wizards wanna pursue this?

i am going to get some pcb's made for a other project.. if we can get 5-6 people on board for a alpha test unit i can order these boards and build them for cost price + donation for rhitee05 for making the design. i will get all the parts, solder the boards. i dont have acces to a workshop right now so the steel rings will be a bit harder to get done but we will figure something out.

so please post if you have a project you can do some testing on + the free time to test/review the unit and report back to the forum.

if we can get a few people on board i will make a BOM file for all the parts needed for a price

Niels

No donation on my behalf is necessary. This was a fun diversion for me during an otherwise boring summer... I'm just sorry I wasn't able to finish before my window passed.

I have 3 of the flux rings which Thud kindly made for me earlier. If someone decides to pick up the project, I will mail the rings to them gratis. The rings are intended to be 1/8" thick plain steel - any mild steel alloy should suffice. They could be made from plate, or I believe Thud milled a piece of rod stock and then cut off some slices.

I forgot to include these earlier, but I've attached BOM files from my EAGLE schematics. They haven't been cleaned up and I haven't associated them with actual part numbers, but they'll provide a start.

Attachments

• ESC_Ctrl_BOM.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 58
Nieles,
The steel rings are no issue. I did the samples for Eric..count me in on the project.
I'll make time to get this going.

I really love the tiny speed controllers & I have no issue with sensorless controllers if I can keep from over loading them. between this & the JH simple controller, I have to think we'll find some happy ballance for applications.

I would definitely jump in, but it can get kind of funny with all mailing, it can take months to get somewhere considering my location (Dominican Rep.), they are already US and Netherlands in. From other side I have summer all year long a lot of time and 4 ESCs to burn (all over 190A), can buy few more. Can I? Can I? :cry:

for around 60usd each i can make 5 of these current controllers (around 50usd for 10 pieces)
this is:
-including all the electronic components
-including 3 PCB's
-excluding the steel rings
-excluding shipping from the netherlands (depending on the box ~10-20usd for worldwide shipping)

this is just cost price.

if people want to order their own parts, the PCB's will be around 15usd for the 3 boards (ex shipping)

i will have to check with eric if i got all the right parts, and if i can get cheaper replacement parts for some (roughly 85% of the cost is in 25% of the parts)

so right now we have
-Thud
-parabellum
-ratking
-(nieles)

any more people want to do some testing with this unit?

Niels

What's the difference between this and the new RC Cycle analyst's current limiting feature?

KiM

AussieJester said:
What's the difference between this and the new RC Cycle analyst's current limiting feature?

KiM
Difference is that battery current limiting does nothing to save controller at short duty cycle (in stall condition by start for ex.).

Edit: Forgot to specify, this controller limits phase current which usually kills ESCs

Back