Custom Build... 2 Speed H.O.B.O Powered e-Cruiser

You mean like this? I took the girlfriend (Dang her @ss is getting big) hunting for a new refrigerator last weekend.Traci Hunting Appliances 004.jpg

AussieJester said:
HiGHSiDE Hyena will want a ride when he heads West for a visit hopefully the gusset will be enough to hold the bike together, Hyenas up to 2 HiGHSiDE crashes this year already :mrgreen:
Tis true :(
I won't be making it 3 at this rate, I haven't been riding very much these days and very little recreationally unfortunately. My bones thank me for it though :p

AussieJester said:
HAHA...i have been drawing patterns on it trying to find something that looks
planned and not like a shotgun has been aimed and fired at it, haven't come up with anything
eye catching thus far

I reckon this suits your style

ajgussett.jpg

:mrgreen:

Hyena said:
AussieJester said:
HiGHSiDE Hyena will want a ride when he heads West for a visit hopefully the gusset will be enough to hold the bike together, Hyenas up to 2 HiGHSiDE crashes this year already :mrgreen:
Tis true :(
I won't be making it 3 at this rate, I haven't been riding very much these days and very little recreationally unfortunately. My bones thank me for it though :p

AussieJester said:
HAHA...i have been drawing patterns on it trying to find something that looks
planned and not like a shotgun has been aimed and fired at it, haven't come up with anything
eye catching thus far

I reckon this suits your style

ajgussett.jpg

:mrgreen:

LOL...yeeees... we knoooooow you love the "caaawk" :mrgreen:
as i have told you many times now, i appreciate the offers of sexual
favours & am even quite flattered but i'll stick with the wiminez thanks
anywayz. :mrgreen: :p

KiM

Been trolling through the many pages for bobber seats and mounting hardware
when i came across this ripper

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOTORCYCLE-SEAT-AIR-RIDE-SUSPENSION-CHOPPER-BOBBER-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19bc9a4ecaQQitemZ110538411722QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Air ride seat suspension complete with compresser WTF!!! hahaha

I wont be getting it but thought it was neat and have never seen bags that small before!

I'll likely be going with this mounting hardware

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Solo-Seat-Pivot-Nose-Bracket-Mount-Chopper-Bobber-XS650-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem255d6d0f36QQitemZ160481218358QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

A pair of billet seat shocks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Hybrid-Shocks-Harley-Chopper-Bobbers-Solo-Seat-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2a0a50e210QQitemZ180561699344QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

The seat itself i am still trying to decide which style/colour/size seat ill get... back to lookinz...

KiM

they might make even smaller airbag stuff I thought I saw a pneumatic conversion for the valve springs in a smallblock ford V8, it is always surprising what ppl will come up with.

Another airbag idea. I searched everywhere online but I don't know what they're called. Plumbers put them in a pipe and inflate them to temporarily seal off the pipe. I've seen them as small as 3/4". They're really sturdy rubber with a metal threaded insert molded into one end. I saw them at the hardware store and thought they looked like little airbags. Just a thought.

Edit: Here's a link to a company that makes stuff like that:
http://www.permatyperubber.com/inflatable-bladders.htm

Their pipe specific ones don't look as tough as the ones I've seen but some of the other stuff on there looks cool.

Interesting...my best mate Snapper's brother is a plumber i'll ask if he has or knows of them...just out of curiosity...

I just got pmed from ThudSTaR 8) The 2 Speed Thudster box is nearing completion...Thud has actually made a complete new unit :shock: due to some alignment issues with shafts and bearings i believe...this has been rectified in the plans also IIRC Thud?

... I have been sent a lil clip of the 2 speed box showing the gear changing lever in action-->

^shot with one of the 808 remote control look-a-like spy cameras ...still waiting on my 2 to be delivered grrrr...

I am so pleased with the whole thing, as i have said to Thud it is alot smaller than i had envisaged after viewing the plans of the box
only requires some polishing and anodizing before its shipped my way! So excited .... Awesome work Thud :D

I have about 1/4 left of this surf ski to sand, i have my spray painter buddy coming tomorrow to spray it seeing he offered and will likely do a better job than i... Is coming up nice anywayz.

I will get back to the bike as said in previous post over this weekend....My hv160 should also be here any day, 2 speed box and rewound Turnigy on route early next week will see the blue cruiser mobile again very soon WOOOTz so missing the bike the weather has been beaudiful...

Big thanks to the ThudSTaR 8) for his efforts...back soon chaps

KiM

That tranny looks fantastic! I can't get enough of a dogbox. Most badass type of tranny on the planet. Can't wait to see it used on your ebike.

lol. That looks like a combo I would leave in the sun on a hot day. :twisted: (Just kidding dogman/amberwolf! Put down the knives!)

My dogbox of choice is when you go from the nice quiet and smooth gear on the left that Honda put in the tranny, to the monster on the right that can actually handle the power level and shock loading that the engines make. :)

htup_0909_08_z+dog_box_transmission+high_gear_shot.jpg

htup_0909_01_z+dog_box_transmission+front_view.jpg

Super nice gearbox. I have a KM3 Wankel engine 110cc (extremely rare here in the states), I wonder if it would hold up to it? Can we see the Surfski?

My spy cameras arrived this afternoon they both work beaudifully...at first i thought one was rooted but after reset (thank
for the advice there Thud) it started working properly, prior the LED would stay on permanently... Heres a couple of still shots
it took this arvo of the surf ski....

SUNP0011.JPG

Finished the fiberglass work on them this afternoon, will be having it gelcoated tomorrow arvo :)

Back soon

KiM

AJ asked:
.Thud has actually made a complete new unit due to some alignment issues with shafts and bearings i believe...this has been rectified in the plans also IIRC Thud?
the plans are better than my counting of turns on the dial gages :oops: I just missed figured the count while making a run of side panels & trashed 4 complete sets with wrong spacing for chain lengths :evil: (this is why I hate production LOL)

I did notice a discrepancy in the drawings though...page 2 on the keyed shaft, on the larger shoulder length dim 1.188 should be 1.20 for dog clearance....I will make the ammendments & update the download section.

There are 60 pieces & parts that are either screwed or welded together to make this unit function.
the majority are machined with more than 1 operation....i forget the hours spent making the pockets in the sprockets for the dogs to engage....

Once I box & send this package off, I am dedicating myself to getting my benchtop CNC perfected so I can produce more of these without the hours of tedium I am currently enjoying. I have a death race tranny to build next......

Thanks for the correction Thudster i forgot the exact details but knew that the original
side plates you made for the box had to be redone...always these lil things that come along to test us
unfortunately when i do anything these 'lil things' ALWAYS turn up hahaa...

So i finished the surf ski over the weekend turned out really well looks alot like a GIANT banana hahaa
either way my mate is very happy with the job, took me best part of two days to sand the bloody thing and thats WITH an orbital sander
all good, mate Mick is a top fella always doing me favors, I didn't hesitate to offer to do the surf ski when he asked if i would give him a hand.
No payment for the work, hes a mate i dont charge mates for my labor but next time i break down i'll be calling Mick
as he has a big van LoL...

So with my workshop back i went out and continued fab on the 2 speed cruiser frame...in particular the aluminum
plates that will hold the electronics...GOT Lipo? Got room for 22 packs within your frame? I HAVE :mrgreen:

Firstly though the front gusset needed trimming to remove some weight, i am ever wary of that 75lb weight limit :p

Head_gusset_pic2.jpg

After the front gusset was added i simply laid the frame upon the 3mm aluminum plate and marked
out the aluminum that will be the mounting plate to hold lipo packs/electronic speed controller etc...

IMG_5758.jpg

IMG_5760.jpg

Same procedure for the lower aluminum mounting plate...

IMG_5759.jpg

The top aluminum sheet I can go ahead and mount, i will use steel tabs welded to the frames tubing to secure
the ali plate to the frame. The lower sheet i will obviously need to cut out sections to allow for the 2 speed Thudster Box
bottom bracket and stabilizer /actuator setup. I did a quick sketch onto the plates to see how we are looking for room hehehe
keep in mind, the lipo 'rectangles' inked on the aluminum represent TWO LIPO PACKS as i will be using 2 packs side by side :p

IMG_5762.jpg

i used an old 22v pack as a template to draw these so they are lil larger than pack size :p

Jealous much Hyena? thats room for TWENTY TWO PACKS within the frames triangle my dress wearing lippy applying, frock mounting friend :mrgreen:

Just having a bite to eat and heading back out, hopefully have the top aluminum plate mounted by days end...
Once i have all the tabs welded to the frame i will be moving to the construction of the carbon fiber/fiberglass
tank and lower battery enclosure...

Back soon

KiM

p.s Just about to hit enterz and the Courier rocks in with my BRAND NEW v2 hv160!! $135 bucks THANKYOU Castle!

IMG_5764.jpg

Thudster has also informed me today the drive is in the tank being anodized, the man is hoping to get
both motor and 2 speed away sometime this week...work and family commitments allowing...

AussieJester said:
Jealous much Hyena? thats room for TWENTY TWO PACKS within the frames triangle my dress wearing lippy applying, frock mounting friend :mrgreen:
Yeah, that's a fair chunk of lipo. I'll laugh when you encounter your first cross wind though :p

I think it's low enough he'll be fine....I also imagine that it will have some aerodynamically optimized body work :wink:

LoL...side winds indeed HiGHSiDE Hyena I will be going that fast the wind wont be able to catch me :p :lol: :mrgreen:

I have a few more pics from this afternoons happenings, not alot but took me all afternoon grrr...

I made 4 aluminum 'tabs' i guess you could call them? to fasten the top aluminum plate
to the frame, i will be fixing another two plates to the frame towards the center of the ali plate
to complete the fastening.

Marked and roughly cut-->

IMG_5766.jpg

2 of the 4 tabs bolted and matched...

IMG_5767.jpg

2 down 2 to go...two tabs are used front and rear to fasten the plate, could of used the one but i am fussy
even though when the fiberglass/carbon fiber enclosures/tank is made none of this will be visible :-S

IMG_5768.jpg

Positioned these on the ali and drilled and fastened using 6mm stainless steel button head cap screws/nyloc nuts-->

IMG_5776.jpg

IMG_5772.jpg

IMG_5775.jpg

IMG_5774.jpg

The alumnium mounting plate still requires a lil 'love' on the edges so the gap between frame tubing and plate is equal
all the way around the plates perimeter...

I plan to use a 10mm threaded rod through the single hole (the hole drilled into the gussets of frame) this threaded rod will
fasten a sheet of thin ply wood in the shape i wish the base of the top 'tank' to be,
when complete this threaded rod will be replaced with 'stand offs' similar to those used in your pc case to
fasten your motherboard to the case...cept ALOT bigger, i will then use ~8mm
stainless steel button head cap screw to fasten the tank/enclosure to the frame, should be a neat solution i think.

Back with more soon

KiM

who said cross winds could be a problem? you could be right, but i might hold of on that call untill it has progressed a bit further. going great though aj, and thanks for slowing down to keep me in reading material :roll:
i think i really need some hands on with all these battery packs so i can learn to under stand them better. cause looking at your 22 packs, i can see room on my trike for about ooh i dunno 50, 60 and thats just on the back end :D .

Just droping by to polute AJ's build thread a little bit... 8)

doing a bit of anodising tonight.....turns out the black & deep blues are the toughest colors for an at home set up....may need to invest in comercial dyes & sealers if i ever set my heart on those.

here is a bucket with 20% SULFURIC acid solution, you can see the part already in there anodising away..I have the bucket in a larger bucket with some water & ice to keep the heat in check
P9210015.jpg

The haze in the fluid is a fine stream of hydrogen bubbles coming off the cathode (aluminum flashing)

I have found the icharger 1010+ is an excelent tool for a multitude of re-pourpousing...here the hot wire function works wonderfully as a power supply for this set up.
P9210013.jpg
P9210004.jpg

I bought some liquid "NEGRO" dye on the recomndation of some one on the internet......best I can get looks like s a very deep patina on bronze or "browned" gun metal...not what I would call black....dark chocolate maybe.
P9210003.jpg

personaly I like it.....it is what it is.
back to your regulary schedualed mega build update........... 8)
back to caustic chemicals for Thud...

You have out done yourself SiR!!! That is BRILLIANT i am very very happy with the colour Thud
definitely improvement on the sample you showed me yesterday with the older chemicals isn't it!

Feel free to pollute away with pics and advice till your hearts content too ThudSTaR 8)

I have a shit eating ev-grin just sitting in front of the pc looking at pics now thanks for that Thud hahaha...

KiM

p.s i am definately going to get me into this anodizing business Thud...i also read a nice article on motorbicycling about DIY metal plating will give this a shot also in the very near future!

I nearly forgot...
Just as i used re-purposed materials for Amberwolf, would any component of Aussie Jesters be complete without some speed holes?....(well dimples anyway :lol: )
Picture010.jpg

Picture006.jpg

this is a high performance build after all..... :mrgreen:
tomorrow I will do FINAL ASSEMBLY YEA!!!!!!

Back