Cycle Analyst V3 preview and first beta release

Ykick said:
Never used setup utility but willing to learn. Assume this is all Win OS software?
Ya - Windows or Linux.
Easy to do - 2 clicks. See this post.

Ykick said:
Can I use the same USB/TTL interface that I got from Lyen for my controllers?
It's possible, but I generally encourage folks to just buy the proper cable from Justin (pn CA-USB $18) - or direct from FTDI if in Europe (pn TTL-232R-5V-AJ). The new ones from Grin are extra long, which is cool. See Section 5.10 "Serial Data Port" of the Guide.

At least one of us (me) has volunteered to get the linux version working with a relatively current version of ubuntu. Justin will send me the Qt source for the app and I will try to compile/package it so it wiil run without dependency issues. Justin will do this whenever the great canadian scheduling gods (or his one-wheeled soulmate) (or Robbie) make him do it. :)

rowbiker said:
At least one of us (me) has volunteered to get the linux version working with a relatively current version of ubuntu. Justin will send me the Qt source for the app and I will try to compile/package it so it wiil run without dependency issues. Justin will do this whenever the great canadian scheduling gods (or his one-wheeled soulmate) (or Robbie) make him do it. :)
You are my hero then. Have nobody around using Windows, in some moment, everyone I would ask a favor, switched to Linux. My fault, I started the chain reaction. :(

P.S. I hope it will work on LTS 12.04

Hello,

I’m new in this forum and searched for an answer at the previous pages and couldn’t find it.

I’m planning to buy the Cycle Analyst V3 to my mid drive electric bicycle and would like to know if it’s possible to program it to toggle between two riding modes (in a press of a button), for example:

1. Off road – the motor will work with full power (3Kw) with throttle & PAS and the configurable 3 position switch can be programed to additional options\ tuning (witch I still don’t know my needs)
2. On road – is the “legal” mode, witch limit the speed to 25Kph, limits the motor to 250W and mast use PAS.

Thank you very much for your help
Rotem

teklektik said:
Ykick said:
Never used setup utility but willing to learn. Assume this is all Win OS software?
Ya - Windows or Linux.
Easy to do - 2 clicks. See this post.

Ykick said:
Can I use the same USB/TTL interface that I got from Lyen for my controllers?
It's possible, but I generally encourage folks to just buy the proper cable from Justin (pn CA-USB $18) - or direct from FTDI if in Europe (pn TTL-232R-5V-AJ). The new ones from Grin are extra long, which is cool. See Section 5.10 "Serial Data Port" of the Guide.

Thanks, I'm very accustomed to TRS connectors and I've gotta Lyen USB/TTL pinout someplace so I'll probably try to rig that up and save the $18 for a replacement Mirrcycle mirror. I do have a Win XP machine still working so that should be doable.

If that fails I'll get in touch with Justin and see if/how he wants to explore this WOT issue when selecting presets? Honestly, I'm spooked enough I'm probably going back to direct throttle-controller connection before more serious property damage and/or somebody gets hurt.

But I genuinely want to help determine what the hell's going on for the benefit of other CAV3 users - I'm just limited technically, financially, etc.

Ykick said:
Honestly, I'm spooked enough I'm probably going back to direct throttle-controller connection before more serious property damage and/or somebody gets hurt.
Well, I guess I would be, too.

What is odd is that this is appears to be the first reported case in a gazillion of these units. It really sounds like a firmware issue, but if so it would seem to be precipitated by a particular setup configuration (hence the Setup Utility snafu :D )

What is really odd is that you are using the no-brainer PassThru mode which has no meaningful computation. Since you did not mention having PAS, none of the other features (regardless of configuration) should be able to add to the throttle output signal, just reduce it (speed/current/power/temp/LVC limiting). If this were not the case I might see that some internal variable in one of the PI controllers might be set to a non-normal value by the preset-change which caused an output spike until the true real-world values sifted through the PI logic after an iteration or two - but here there is no such logic in play because of the throttle configuration. Puzzling...

So - I tried a bunch of ideas on the bench V3 to no avail - looks like your setup info to reproduce the configuration is next on the list. You could just manually post it all or type in into the Setup Parameter XLS file but the Setup Utility is best/easiest strategy if you can get to it.

So - two thoughts:
  1. First a question: Does the bike jump when you power up the CA in preset 2 or is triggered by the preset-change event specifically?
  2. When you get your programming cable working, extract the setup, reflash 3.0p6, install the saved setup, and re-test. This will ensure you have uncorrupted code and that the setup file actually can reproduce the issue.
  3. As far as using the V3 is concerned, it would be good if you could not alter the config until the settings are retrieved, either manually or with the utility. After that, you might simply reconfigure for a single preset as a sleazy fix to avoid the issue by avoiding the preset-change trigger event.

Great ideas, thanks. I haven't changed Config or anything and won't until we either have a file of the Firmware/setup and/or send it to somebody who can grab the code. No PAS or anything other than cruise on presets 1 & 2 but not enabled preset 3.

I did test that it was still doing this the other day but only while I was riding and able to anticipate/control the surge. Yep, same issue however I did not power it down and back up in this preset per your suggestion so that's on my soon to do list.

If I decide to play it safe and connect throttle directly to controller I assume I can merely remove and shrinkwrap "throttle" signal wire/contact from the DP plug? Making no config changes to the CAV3, of course.

Much appreciate your good help! Thanks....

Rotems said:
Hello,

I’m new in this forum and searched for an answer at the previous pages and couldn’t find it.

I’m planning to buy the Cycle Analyst V3 to my mid drive electric bicycle and would like to know if it’s possible to program it to toggle between two riding modes (in a press of a button), for example:

1. Off road – the motor will work with full power (3Kw) with throttle & PAS and the configurable 3 position switch can be programed to additional options\ tuning (witch I still don’t know my needs)
2. On road – is the “legal” mode, witch limit the speed to 25Kph, limits the motor to 250W and mast use PAS.

Rotem

The CA v3 differentiates itself from the previous versions by addition of a torque sense algorhythm. For instance, a THUN bottom bracket in conjunction with a motored wheel offered a seamless experience in assistance. That being said, a mid drive, from what I've read here, isn't a good candidate for your needs. I could be wrong, so I hope others chime in on this :?: I didn't want your help post here get swallowed further down the thread and get neglected.

Rotems said:

Short answer:
Yes, but it may take a little trickery.

Long Answer:
The CA has only a single AuxPot input which can either be used to select Presets or as a Current/Power/Speed/PAS limit adjustment. Since you wish to use a 3-position switch for as-yet-undetermined purpose, you will need to switch presets using the console buttons. This is very quick but does require two hands so you need to stop to switch from off-road to legal - no issue.

What I see as the issue is that you have both PAS and throttle working on two different presets and so will likely wish two things:
  • Higher max throttle power than is available with PAS (at least for the off-road mode)
  • Both higher max throttle and PAS power for the off-road mode.
It's these differing PAS power settings in different presets that cause a problem.

Here's why:
  • Although the V3 allows three presets, certain configuration parameters are 'global' and have a single value that affects all presets instead of being uniquely settable of each preset ('preset-specific'). With a mid-drive, you will be using a simple PAS wheel which is supported using the V3 'AutoPAS' mode. In that mode the PAS power limit is set using PAS->PASWatts. Unfortunately, this is a global parameter and so the same Max PAS power setting will apply in all presets that use AutoPAS - which pretty much fouls up high-powered PAS in the off-road setting.

That said, if you don't mind a max PAS power level of only 250W in off-road mode, then there is no issue - stop reading... :D
Strategy 1 (Best Control Adjustments):
This dual PAS level matter has come up before and there is a workaround: set up your legal mode normally using AutoPAS and PASWatts but set up your off-road mode using TorqPAS mode. TorqPAS is the mode used for torque-sensing bottom brackets (eg Thun). These BBs have (1) a torque signal and (2) a PAS wheel signal, so we just configure the V3 as if it had a fancy BB so we can use the PAS wheel signal and then arrange things so the missing torque input is essentially ignored. Two cool things happen:
  • In TorqPAS mode the V3 will determines maximum PAS power by a different means than PAS->PASWatts so we can make the off-road setting different, and
  • Unlike the AutoPAS mode, this tricked-up TorqPAS mode can be set to increase PAS power with pedal rpm.
The procedure for setting up this hacked TorqPAS mode is described in the Guide in section 6.5 - 'AutoTorqPAS – AutoPAS with RPM-Proportional Assist'.

The suggested solution to an earlier 3-preset version of this problem can be found in this post. Here is a copy of the image from that post that gives some deetails about a suggested seup - yours will be similar but different since that was a 12kW build, etc. In this example, the 3-speed switch was replaced with a pot to adjust PAS level 0-100% of the (different) max PAS power level in each preset.

3PresetPasSetup-Merlin.png
This probably looks a little intimidating at first, but if you slog through the related sections of the Guide the individual bits should make sense. In any case, you can see the 'global' (1 column) vs 'preset-specific' parameters (3 columns). If you can't get this working as you wish, post back and we can adjust settings accordingly.... :D

Optionally, section 6.6 'PAS Assist Control without AUX Pot – DIY Virtual Torque Sensor' of the Guide shows you how to add a pot for adjustable PAS assist in AutoTorqPAS mode AND still have a 3-position switch for power selection, etc. This is actually what I have on my bike - really quite nice to be able to easily tune in the PAS assist and have independent control of the throttle power range.

Strategy 2 (Simpler):
Here we note that PAS->PASWatts is superseded by PLim->MaxPower. You might choose to exploit this by using AutoPAS mode in both presets, setting PAS->PASWatts to the maximum for off-road use (eg 500W) and then setting PLim->MaxPower to 250W in the legal preset. In this case the max PAS power will be:
  • 250W in 'legal' mode - as PLim->MaxPower = 200W supersedes PAS->PASWatts = 500W
  • 500W in 'off-road' mode as PAS->PASWatts will be less that PLim->MaxWatts = 3000W
The only issue here is that if AuxPot is used as a PAS Assist level, it scales 0-100% of PAS->PASWatts without regard to and superseding value by PLim->MaxPower. If using a pot this will create a 'dead zone' at the top of the pot (250W-500W in this example) and will compresse the adjustment range for the legal mode into the lower part of the pot. If the relative values are close as in this example (250W and 500W) then this may not be a huge issue. However, if they are far apart (eg 250W and 1000W) then PAS adjustments in 'legal' mode will be squeezed to a small portion of the pot and will not be very refined.

So - this second approach is easier to set up and may prove workable for max PAS power levels maybe 2x-3x between your two presets. Beyond that, PAS level adjustment will be a bit touchy.

teklektik said:
Rotems said:

Short answer:
Yes, but it may take a little trickery.

Long Answer:
The CA has only a single AuxPot input which can either be used to select Presets or as a Current/Power/Speed/PAS limit adjustment. Since you wish to use a 3-position switch for as-yet-undetermined purpose, you will need to switch presets using the console buttons. This is very quick but does require two hands so you need to stop to switch from off-road to legal - no issue.

What I see as the issue is that you have both PAS and throttle working on two different presets and so will likely wish two things:
  • Higher max throttle power than is available with PAS (at least for the off-road mode)
  • Both higher max throttle and PAS power for the off-road mode.
It's these differing PAS power settings in different presets that cause a problem.

Here's why:
  • Although the V3 allows three presets, certain configuration parameters are 'global' and have a single value that affects all presets instead of being uniquely settable of each preset ('preset-specific'). With a mid-drive, you will be using a simple PAS wheel which is supported using the V3 'AutoPAS' mode. In that mode the PAS power limit is set using PAS->PASWatts. Unfortunately, this is a global parameter and so the same Max PAS power setting will apply in all presets that use AutoPAS - which pretty much fouls up high-powered PAS in the off-road setting.

That said, if you don't mind a max PAS power level of only 250W in off-road mode, then there is no issue - stop reading... :D
Strategy 1 (Best Control Adjustments):
This dual PAS level matter has come up before and there is a workaround: set up your legal mode normally using AutoPAS and PASWatts but set up your off-road mode using TorqPAS mode. TorqPAS is the mode used for torque-sensing bottom brackets (eg Thun). These BBs have (1) a torque signal and (2) a PAS wheel signal, so we just configure the V3 as if it had a fancy BB so we can use the PAS wheel signal and then arrange things so the missing torque input is essentially ignored. Two cool things happen:
  • In TorqPAS mode the V3 will determines maximum PAS power by a different means than PAS->PASWatts so we can make the off-road setting different, and
  • Unlike the AutoPAS mode, this tricked-up TorqPAS mode can be set to increase PAS power with pedal rpm.
The procedure for setting up this hacked TorqPAS mode is described in the Guide in section 6.5 - 'AutoTorqPAS – AutoPAS with RPM-Proportional Assist'.

The suggested solution to an earlier 3-preset version of this problem can be found in this post. Here is a copy of the image from that post that gives some deetails about a suggested seup - yours will be similar but different since that was a 12kW build, etc. In this example, the 3-speed switch was replaced with a pot to adjust PAS level 0-100% of the (different) max PAS power level in each preset.

This probably looks a little intimidating at first, but if you slog through the related sections of the Guide the individual bits should make sense. In any case, you can see the 'global' (1 column) vs 'preset-specific' parameters (3 columns). If you can't get this working as you wish, post back and we can adjust settings accordingly.... :D

Optionally, section 6.6 'PAS Assist Control without AUX Pot – DIY Virtual Torque Sensor' of the Guide shows you how to add a pot for adjustable PAS assist in AutoTorqPAS mode AND still have a 3-position switch for power selection, etc. This is actually what I have on my bike - really quite nice to be able to easily tune in the PAS assist and have independent control of the throttle power range.

Strategy 2 (Simpler):
Here we note that PAS->PASWatts is superseded by PLim->MaxPower. You might choose to exploit this by using AutoPAS mode in both presets, setting PAS->PASWatts to the maximum for off-road use (eg 500W) and then setting PLim->MaxPower to 250W in the legal preset. In this case the max PAS power will be:
  • 250W in 'legal' mode - as PLim->MaxPower = 200W supersedes PAS->PASWatts = 500W
  • 500W in 'off-road' mode as PAS->PASWatts will be less that PLim->MaxWatts = 3000W
The only issue here is that if AuxPot is used as a PAS Assist level, it scales 0-100% of PAS->PASWatts without regard to and superseding value by PLim->MaxPower. If using a pot this will create a 'dead zone' at the top of the pot (250W-500W in this example) and will compresse the adjustment range for the legal mode into the lower part of the pot. If the relative values are close as in this example (250W and 500W) then this may not be a huge issue. However, if they are far apart (eg 250W and 1000W) then PAS adjustments in 'legal' mode will be squeezed to a small portion of the pot and will not be very refined.

So - this second approach is easier to set up and may prove workable for max PAS power levels maybe 2x-3x between your two presets. Beyond that, PAS level adjustment will be a bit touchy.

Hello teklektik,

Thank you for the detailed answer, you are great.
I probably will go with the “complicated” configuration.
Can you please advise if I can use the Trq PAS instead of Auto PAS in legal mode?

Additional issue that I’m trying to figure is the PAS function with 8 gears, the problem is that at low gear the poles are turning fast and therefore I will get lots of motor power and at high gear the poles will turn slowly then I will get less motor power.
Is there a any solution for this issue? Maybe adding the speed as a parameter?

Rotem

Rotems said:
Can you please advise if I can use the Trq PAS instead of Auto PAS in legal mode?
Nope. This is perhaps a point I didn't explain well.

The underlying problem is that we really need to have different values in different presets but the controlling parameters are global and the same across all presets. The proposed solution is to use two alternate means to control PAS, each of which relies on (different) global parameters, but use each of the two modes exclusively in different presets so one set of global parameters in used in one preset and the other set of global parameters is used in the other.

So, because of the reliance of both AutoPAS and TorqPAS modes on global parameters, they can only be used in multiple presets if the identical behavior is desired in each preset.

(You know, I thought that would be clearer, but reading it makes me wonder... anyhow - hope you got the drift... :D )

Rotems said:
Additional issue that I’m trying to figure is the PAS function with 8 gears, the problem is that at low gear the poles are turning fast and therefore I will get lots of motor power and at high gear the poles will turn slowly then I will get less motor power.
Hmmm - to be honest, I was focused in my response on the V3 control/configuration aspect without seeing the bigger question of using V3 PAS with a mid-drive - once again, the forest and the trees issue.... :D

I actually haven't seen any posts about mid-drive/V3/AutoPAS builds. Sadly, I have no mid-drive experience and I think much of the answer to your question lies in issues of drivability which is an experiential thing. That said, here's some thoughts that may or may not be useful (just winging it and musing a little...):

Adding to your question, there seemed to be two problem areas when using an AutoPAS-like scheme (fixed PAS assist):
  • for a smooth getaway and sufficient power in higher gears, it seems the power application should be moderated in lower gears
  • the actual business of shifting gears under CA-controlled power may be difficult, unpleasant, or damaging.
It's interesting that the Grin Tech StokeMonkey mid-drive uses the V3 and torque-sensing PAS which appears to address both of these considerations directly. Lower pedal torque in taller low gears and normal breaks in torque when shifting serve to set the motor assist level automagically. This seems really nifty but is not the fixed-assist situation under discussion.

I pinged Justin for insights into this fixed-assist situation and he offered some thoughts which I quote or paraphrase here:
  1. In general this kind of setup can be workable if the mid-drive free-wheels, but is inadvisable if the drive spins the cranks as in the old original StokeMonkey design.
  2. Switching under load can have ramifications, derailleur gears will do it fine but then there is a large snap sound when the shifted cog comes around, some internally geared hubs hubs are OK (Nuvinci N360), others are impossible to shift when there is significant load (N171), others will allow you to shift the grip under load, but only actually change gears in the hub once the load is released.
  3. Because of (2), in some setups you may want or need to back off on the power in order to shift.
    There are two means to interrupt power with AutoPAS:
    • stop pedaling or
    • apply just enough throttle that the CA3 drops out of PAS mode and goes into throttle mode but does not actually deliver any useful throttle power.
    In general there isn't too much issue shifting a mid-drive in the 300-500 watt power range, but problems can arise with increased power.
So - from this it looks like the shifting issue may need attention over 500W but treduction of power in lower gears may not be so important. It can be Bad to generalize or resort to anecdotes, but my personal PAS use is typically sub-500W with a really torquey dual gear motor bike, so if looking toward a build like yours I might be comfortable focusing on the shifting issue. I usually am on throttle over those power levels or occasionally will just dial up the PAS once at speed. This is a different situation that running through the gears to get to speed where we want the PAS to be unobtrusive and require minimal fiddling.

The two approaches to shifting that Justin calls out rely only on the base V3 functionality. However, in a recent thread, Kepler describes implementing a throttle-interrupting shifter for a Bafang mid-drive - this is similar to a drag bike ignition interrupter (so no clutch is required):

kepler said:
Next the stock thumb throttle was removed and a push button throttle fitted together with a micro switch activated by the gear selector to cut throttle when shifting gears. This required a simple dual voltage divider circuit to deliver a full throttle signal with the button and approx 5% throttle with the micro switch.
Micro.jpg
This shifter/interrupter looks very attractive for the V3 situation, although here the focus is not to interrupt the operator throttle but rather to interrupt the PAS. Maybe both would be Good. A related approach with a more off-the-shelf solution might be to use a thumb pushbutton on the left grip - a sort of 'electric clutch' (re-purpose horn/regen button). There may be different considerations for manual button vs Kepler-shifter implementations because of the duration of switch closure.

Pursuing this switch approach, the question is how to interrupt PAS. Here are some ideas:
  1. The switch applies a small throttle voltage, overriding the ZEROed throttle to allow the CA to disengage/re-engage PAS normally.
  2. The switch reduces the AuxPot input level to ground, reducing the PAS Assist Level to zero (assumes Aux->ScaleLim=PASLevel and probably an Assist pot)
  3. The switch interrupts the V3 ThrottleOut signal to the controller (CA-DP cable), allowing the controller throttle to go to ZERO by itself.
  4. The switch overrides the V3 ThrottleOut signal to the controller, forcing the controller throttle to ZERO (in the manner of CA V2 throttle override).
(1) and (2) have the advantage of involving the CA in the PAS reduction. This means that WGain, UpRate, and FastRate will be in play to soften the re-engagement if the shift is slow. On the downside, they do not affect throttle shifting as is the intent of Kepler's design.

(3) and (4) are easy to build, have immediate effect, a1nd work for both PAS and shifting (Kepler), but leave the CA out of the loop. A certain throttle surge might be experienced on re-engagement as the CA notices that the power has mysteriously dropped (shunt monitor) and so begins to crank up the throttle to compensate. AGain and ramping can mitigate this a bit but a prolonged button press (cornering, passing peds, etc) and then releasing will give a really big jolt...

If using a resistive throttle like a Magura, there are simple variations on (2) that would drag both AuxPot and the operator throttle to ZERO, giving the effect of Kepler's design plus PAS with AGain and ramping in play to allow long button pushes with smooth re-engagements. I would personally lean towards (2) or this Magura variation.

Anyhow - no solid answer for you, but there are some options for experimentation in what seems to be an unexplored V3 application....

teklektik said:
Rotems said:
Nope. This is perhaps a point I didn't explain well.

The underlying problem is that we really need to have different values in different presets but the controlling parameters are global and the same across all presets. The proposed solution is to use two alternate means to control PAS, each of which relies on (different) global parameters, but use each of the two modes exclusively in different presets so one set of global parameters in used in one preset and the other set of global parameters is used in the other.

So, because of the reliance of both AutoPAS and TorqPAS modes on global parameters, they can only be used in multiple presets if the identical behavior is desired in each preset.

(You know, I thought that would be clearer, but reading it makes me wonder... anyhow - hope you got the drift... :D )

Hello teklektik,

It’s a bit difficult to tie all the information together when I don’t have the system in front of me (working with the system actually help to understand it better).
When I will have the system, I will follow your instruction\ recommendations to set up my ebike.

Just for thinking, using the speed as a parameter in mid drive system is very useful, I had very powerful car with an on board turbo control computer and in order to prevent an over power at low gears I had an option to set the engine power according to speed or gear, so I set the speed as parameter and it worked great, I get less power at low speed and the power increased as the speed raised.

Thank you very, very much for your help.
Rotem

Rotems said:
Just for thinking, using the speed as a parameter in mid drive system is very useful, ...so I set the speed as parameter and it worked great, I get less power at low speed and the power increased as the speed raised.
Ya - I certainly understood your point, but at this time there is no option to fold speed into the PAS Assist equation.

Problem is, that without personal experience with a rig like this, it's easy to start solving problems that don't exist. Someone needs to actually try this and say it's a problem. Kepler just built up a Bafang-based V3 AutoPAS system that is exactly this sort of configuration, although at a fraction of your power. I am looking forward to his observations.

• That said - should this indeed be an issue, I might see a gadget that converts the linear shifter cable displacement to a component of the AuxPot voltage so higher gears scaled up the power. A quick implementation would be to use gwhy!'s hall throttle-box and Y-attach the box cable to the shifter cable using a common throttle stop or similar. This would pull the slave cable as the gears indexed and thus increase the throttle-box (PAS Assist) output voltage. Since AuxPot allows setting the min/max voltages, any amount of available cable displacement could be configured in the V3 to scale 1st-to-7th gear to 0-100% (or 50-100%, etc) accommodating any initial throttle-box cable offset and index step size; this would make the mechanical end of things pretty much adjustment-free. Add a pot in the AuxPot circuit for normal Assist Level adjustment and it should be good to go. Pretty easy really, thanks to qwhy!.

Again - this may well just be a solution in search of a problem.... :D

rowbiker said:

Good man! I cant even get the current package into archive manager on my ubuntu system. Looking forward to hearing about the progress :) I wish I could offer assistance, but this is not in my skillset I`m affraid..

Try

frank@Rapidan:~/Downloads$ gunzip CASetupUtility-1.0.5-linux.tar.gz
frank@Rapidan:~/Downloads$ tar -xvf CASetupUtility-1.0.5-linux.tar
frank@Rapidan:~/Downloads$ cd CASetupUtility
frank@Rapidan:~/Downloads/CASetupUtility$ ./CASetupUtility

frank@Rapidan is my account on my machine. Yours will be different.

worked for me, but then I found I needed a special cable :(

oldwahoo54 said:
Try

frank@Rapidan:~/Downloads$ gunzip CASetupUtility-1.0.5-linux.tar.gz
frank@Rapidan:~/Downloads$ tar -xvf CASetupUtility-1.0.5-linux.tar
frank@Rapidan:~/Downloads$ cd CASetupUtility
frank@Rapidan:~/Downloads/CASetupUtility$ ./CASetupUtility

frank@Rapidan is my account on my machine. Yours will be different.

worked for me, but then I found I needed a special cable :(

Thank you. That got me a step closer. Not a Terminal-guy. lol. Still some buggering to be done though...

./CASetupUtility: error while loading shared libraries: libX11-xcb.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

teklektik said:
Rotems said:
Just for thinking, using the speed as a parameter in mid drive system is very useful, ...so I set the speed as parameter and it worked great, I get less power at low speed and the power increased as the speed raised.
Ya - I certainly understood your point, but at this time there is no option to fold speed into the PAS Assist equation.

Problem is, that without personal experience with a rig like this, it's easy to start solving problems that don't exist. Someone needs to actually try this and say it's a problem. Kepler just built up a Bafang-based V3 AutoPAS system that is exactly this sort of configuration, although at a fraction of your power. I am looking forward to his observations.

• That said - should this indeed be an issue, I might see a gadget that converts the linear shifter cable displacement to a component of the AuxPot voltage so higher gears scaled up the power. A quick implementation would be to use gwhy!'s hall throttle-box and Y-attach the box cable to the shifter cable using a common throttle stop or similar. This would pull the slave cable as the gears indexed and thus increase the throttle-box (PAS Assist) output voltage. Since AuxPot allows setting the min/max voltages, any amount of available cable displacement could be configured in the V3 to scale 1st-to-7th gear to 0-100% (or 50-100%, etc) accommodating any initial throttle-box cable offset and index step size; this would make the mechanical end of things pretty much adjustment-free. Add a pot in the AuxPot circuit for normal Assist Level adjustment and it should be good to go. Pretty easy really, thanks to qwhy!.

Again - this may well just be a solution in search of a problem.... :D

How cool would it be to wire up the e-brake cutoff to your trigger shifters, i've had a fair bit of hands on experience with a few chain drive setups lately and all of those with PAS sensors are murder on derailleurs etc.. ( if you pull the brake levers just enough to shut off Throttle, you can shift and pedal the chain into gear gently, then let off the brake lever )

Ypedal said:
How cool would it be to wire up the e-brake cutoff to your trigger shifters,...
D'oh!
This is a much simpler solution than (1) or (2) that I mentioned in the post above about shifter/interrupters. I automatically shy away from involving the ebrake inputs because of DD regen considerations, but I didn't think this through - regen cannot be a consideration in the mid-drive case. The ebrake approach has the advantage of involving the CA in ramping/gain control.
Tidy and nifty!

This morning I wired the Magura throttle through the CAv3 on my CroBorg and set up current throttle and speed limit (after testing pass thru), and everything is working nicely. Most parameters were left at default aside from throttle input voltages, maximum current and speed limit settings. It made me an hour late to work, but with a much nicer gentler throttle! There's a slightly more detailed post on my Borg thread, but basically a 470 ohm resistor, wire and connectors were all that was required. A small crimp tool is very handy for those JST connectors, too.

Thanks Justin et al!!

Hey guys,
I'm almost embarrassed to say that I haven't had a chance to properly play with the V3 yet. I've had one sitting here for ages but had so many projects going on I haven't been able to spare the downtime from the plug and play convenience of the V2. I tried to keep up with this thread but have fallen well behind.

Apologies if this is common knowledge or is well documented but is there a way to flash a "tune" from a PC like you would programming a controller so you don't have to tab through each and every setting on the CA ?

Back