Cycle Anaylst and Calibration Shunt

Merlin

1 MW
Hello,

just to be sure/safe.

what does the Shunt meaning?! Is it only to Show correct Readings from Controller?

i ask because when Cycle analyst show me that i used 10Ah,
my Powerlab charges 12Ah in my Lipos.

I changed from 1,333 to 1,200 ....now CA tells me 10Ah used and Powerlab charges 10Ah too.

Is this Okay to set up a lower RShunt?

Merlin said:
Is this Okay to set up a lower RShunt?
Yes, it is OK.

Is it accurate...no idea. All depends on what a Powerlab is, how accurate it is and also if you have a Cycle Analyst that uses the controller shunt or a Standalone CA with an external shunt.

IF it is a Stand alone CA with external shunt, then i would say it is the CA that is most accurate. Ebike.ca calibrate each CA to the supplied external shunt so IT WILL BE Accurate

If it is a CA using the shunt inside the controller, then it is down to how accurate the shunt value you were given by the controller manufacturer is.

Lyen gives you the standard value for your shunts..Standard shunts he uses are 4 milliohm..so three of them gives a nominal value of 1.333Milli Ohm. But that is only a nominal calculated value..not a measured value. A little bit of solder flow up the leg of one or two shunts , shunt slightly deeper than it should be, etc can all influence shunt value, so the 1.333 will be wrong.

The only way to be sure it to calibrate it yourself...more of that later..if needed..when you come back with the answers we need

I think when he says powerlab, he means a 'cellpro powerlab' RC style charger. http://www.revolectrix.com/pl8_description_tab.htm

If there is a genuine concern about these concepts that has a logical answer, you should e-mail someone at ebikes.ca. Those guys seem to really know their stuff.

Until he gets back to us and give more info we are all in the dark. if it is a Lyen controller then the 1.333 will only be a nominal value..I had to adjust mine to be accurate. Till we know if it is a DP or SA CA we do not know if the CA readings or the Powerlab readings are the most accurate

hey :)

iam back *time difference* :mrgreen:

YES it is a lyen Controller
YES it is a CA DP
YES it is a RC Charger...(but one of the best on Market.)

So good to hear thats only a nominal value.

feels better now and i can go on with replacing melted phase wires on my motor :roll:

thx to all :!:

Not so much a time difference thing..i am in same time zone. ( 1 hour difference to you ) (Jersey) it is jsut that you are probably not such a sad bastard :D that lives on the computer in all his spare time ;)

If you are happy that the charger is accurate then go with that. but calibration method is here..if your charger has a constant current output..like a foam cutting setting..use that

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37048

NeilP said:
... it is jsut that you are probably not such a sad bastard :D that lives on the computer in all his spare time ;)

ahhhh since i am infected on ebikes i spend alooooooot of hours trying buying trying buying AND.....reading.
and yesterday where i saw the light on the end of tunnel (finishing my bike settings)....... i melted my anderson powerpoles(phase)
...(G*D*mIT) Going Back to 5,5mm Goldplugs.

Thx for the link. Will try it also. :)

Well Andersons will always melt..shit things they really are, unless you get the huge ones..never use them, the terminals back out of the housing, they melt..problem is they are being used at over their rating. unless you use the ones that the plastic housing is about 10mm x 10mm or bigger.

just go with Ed Lyens big spade connectors like the ones on the controller in his picture below

Sorry can't find Lyens image I was looking for so you will just have to wait for the gif to load an scroll through to see the connectors I mean if you do not already know

18fetv2.gif

Got to disagree
Lyens shunt values are not spot on accurate, good enough but can be bettered. They are calculated not measured/calibrated like the SA CA RShunt value is

why is it not obvious? he used a charger that is about 80% efficient. he drained 10Ah and then had to make 12Ah with his charger to replace the charge drained. 12Ah X .8 = 9.6Ah.

Sorry, my last reply was while mobile.

I do not necessarily agree with his new figures, amount put back in from any charger will always be a bit more than taken out..due losses etc..the 10Ah to 12 Ah is a big % out for the shunt, and it woudl nto be that far out.

So he needs a more accurate way of calibrating the RShunt value NOT using the charger as s reference, but finding a more accurate reference

..and thats what iam ask about "shunt readings/settings"
when this shunt readings are important to use the controller correctly -> okay. than i have to live with the CA output that show me real data without losses.

But when the Shunt readings only to SEE how much current goes -> no problem. i dont care if i see 50 or 60A or "wrong Wattage"
I'd like to see what i can discharge...like a fuel gauge...Also i like to see how much WH/KM iam driving.
(to see how efficent IAM biking the same route :lol: )

the CA shows me how much cycles i have done so far with my lipos....and how much Ah discharged/used too.
This is all information i like to know.

(The Cellpro Chargers efficient 85-93% in tech specs....)

So...
is the SHUNT resistance important for correct working Controller?
I dont think so.....but please correct me when iam wrong.

thx.

Merlin said:
is the SHUNT resistance important for correct working Controller?
thx.

No, no difference to controller at all.
The figure is just to calibrate the reading on the Cycle Analyst..

BUT..it maybe important, if you were wanting to use the CA to limit the controller, but a few % out is not going to make a major difference

yes so this is what i expect/thought...

I have my Controller Set to max Current 80A (18fet)
On the CA i have a 70A Limit in my (Offroad) Modus....this modus i use only for short bursts...my hs3540 go to 100° after 5-6 bursts :roll: :wink:

Merlin, I have 18fet Lyen 4110 controller and powerlab charger.

Using 1.3333 My cycle analyst shows 15 amp hours used. My powerlab Cap in is aroun 18.

This seems to be in line with what you are getting. I think my Cycle anlyst is reporting correct because I have my controller set to 45Amps and cycle analyst reports 44.xx amps max used.

So I do not understand why you lowered your rshunt value to 1.2 to make it even with the powerlab? Or what did you finally decide to leave your rshunt value set to?

Here is a way to compare both simultaneously.
Charge VIA the controller shunt with controller turned ON.

I always wondered about this and I asked a question about this a few monts ago, and got no feedback saying it should not be done.

You will need to fit a T wire on your positive power lead from pack to controller. I fit on controller side of plug.

Connect a black to the controller board, other side of the shunt that the battery is connected to.

Charge via these two leads with pack connected and controller powered on. CA will show a negative reading as if regen and CA will count back up

EdwardNY said:
Merlin, I have 18fet Lyen 4110 controller and powerlab charger.

Using 1.3333 My cycle analyst shows 15 amp hours used. My powerlab Cap in is aroun 18.

This seems to be in line with what you are getting. I think my Cycle anlyst is reporting correct because I have my controller set to 45Amps and cycle analyst reports 44.xx amps max used.

So I do not understand why you lowered your rshunt value to 1.2 to make it even with the powerlab? Or what did you finally decide to leave your rshunt value set to?

it WAS the idea of a "Fuel Gauge".... :wink:

Sorry, i did not mean in this thread. I asked this question about charging via the controller in a different post.
I thought it was a completely new thread..but I have searched my threads for you and can not find it.

Sorry

NeilP - hey I just wanted to chime in here and say thanks for that link! Using a DC clamp on the battery wire, that's just brilliant 8)

I have 2WD, so this will make it so much easier than taking the controllers apart and measuring.

The question that I have - and I think it's still On-Topic, is which instrument to use. I bought a Fluke 322 for < $100, but it only does AC :cry:

Looking at DC Clamp meters, the price ranges between $50 USD up to > $300. Are there any particular favorites? The MISOL Digital Clamp Meter was the least expensive on Amazon - but a reviewer says it doesn't have automatic peak measurement (manual process instead).

I could see this being my new best friend replacing basic multimeter functions when on the road. :)

Thanks again, KF

Back