"Da bomb" cargo bike + Transmag 3kW / MAC 2kW / HS3548

I've been wondering why a simple die could not cut threads on spokes ? Is it some special thread, or, no one wants to take the time ??

Harold in CR said:
I've been wondering why a simple die could not cut threads on spokes ? Is it some special thread, or, no one wants to take the time ??

*shrug* bike shops appear incapable of doing it. I think motorcycle shops may just tell you to buy a new wheel.
Is there even a die available for something like that?

I cannot find a single company that sells 20" or 24" rear wheels with stronger than normal spokes.
And you can forget finding a company that sells a 20" or 24" rear wheel with disc brake holes. Even the recumbent shops seem clueless... amazingly enough!

I almost want to buy a brand new hub motor wheel, then removing the stator and neo magnets. It might literally be the cheapest option, lol.

Do you have the spoke you need shortened ? Go to the hardware store and see if you can find the correct die that will screw on the spoke thread ??

No i don't. I have not invested in them because i am unsure of what hub to use, still.
Or whether i just go with a prebuilt bike hub wheel and do the stator removal bit.

Harold in CR said:
Do you have the spoke you need shortened ? Go to the hardware store and see if you can find the correct die that will screw on the spoke thread ??

no good im afraid, spokes have thier own thread, its rolled on with a special spoke rolling tool, so its kinda bigger od than the non threaded part, so dies are not around.

Well, what are the chances; 4 threads ( 2 on this forum ) asking for burnt out hub motor wheels to use as chaindrive wheels.. hours spent at bike shops.. days spent speccing out how to build a tough wheel from scratch on a budget.. and no dice.

And these two 24" downhill wheels, with what look like 13ga spokes, and 2.6" tires just fall into my lap for $20 each at the Salt Lake City bicycle collective:

24dh_rims.jpg

Bought both just in case.. :lol:

So i am out of gridlock and the bike is partially together:

dabomb2.jpg

dabomb3.jpg

26" x 1.95" in front, 24" x 2.6" in back.. 203mm front disc, no rear brake ( regen will do that job! ), and a surly 1x1 fork..

The thing handles like a friggin' bus and will hopefully be wheelie-proof with the motenergy motor :]

Now i get to wait for a 24FET controller from cell_man.
Back to the waiting game ;0

for that rim,You can get those single speed dicta freewheels, you can then bolt on a small sprocket over that dicta freewheel, Then use that small sprocket to mount your main rear sprocket.
if you want a free wheel, but using regen is way better in my opinion, its just more control when you ride

Thats such a perfect frame for that motor,
i want one, it would be ideal to conceal the motor if you wanted
I think you might need a bigger rear tyre, i would be 100% concerned using a normal bicycle tyre on the back of my bike
can you imagine accelerating hard to 40 mph 50mph, expecting nothing but awesomeness and then your rear tyre has all the sudden disappeared and your heart is racing because you can hear nothing but your rim bashing the ground, left with strong rear regen and now useless lol

but all the same i am tempted to purposely blow out the cheapest bmx tyre i can find

look at the size difference with these wheels,
you have the magic pie with 26 inch size rim, and then a 14inch motor bike wheel.

Attachments

• DSCN0293.JPG
    DSCN0293.JPG
    258.5 KB · Views: 2,236
Yeah i get your concern about the tires. I wonder if there is a motorcycle tire that can be mounted on a 24" rim though.

If a 16" motorcycle tire goes on a 20" bmx rim, maybe then a 20" or 19" motorcycle tire goes on a 24" rim? I suppose i'll have to hobble over to a motorcycle shop and see if that's the case.

If so, oh man, that would be sweet :]

Anyway, I got paid. Ordered $87 worth of stuff from staton-inc.com, and $50 worth of stuff from robotmarketplace.com. I'm going to do a dual reduction on the MAC motor. I told people i'd test it out, so why not. I could potentially watercool the thing and run maybe 3000w continuous through it?

First stage: 12T to 24T - using #410 ( BMX chain )
Second stage: 11T to 39T - using #41 ( sorta between BMX and #40, which is friggin' huge ).

This should get me a max speed of 43mph on the MAC 2kW motor at 72 volts. That should spin it up to 5000rpm. If it blows, it blows, lol.

scrap the bike and start anew.

you'll need to upgrade the controller and the battery and motor.. you'd be better off selling the bike whole and using the $ to convert a bike the right way

Now that I read your threads I know what your talking about "right".
Awesome stuff! Wish I had the funds right now to do something similar, but maybe in a few years.
Cant wait to see more vid's and pics.

neptronix said:
Anyway, I got paid. Ordered $87 worth of stuff from staton-inc.com, and $50 worth of stuff from robotmarketplace.com. I'm going to do a dual reduction on the MAC motor. I told people i'd test it out, so why not. I could potentially watercool the thing and run maybe 3000w continuous through it?

First stage: 12T to 24T - using #410 ( BMX chain )
Second stage: 11T to 39T - using #41 ( sorta between BMX and #40, which is friggin' huge ).

This should get me a max speed of 43mph on the MAC 2kW motor at 72 volts. That should spin it up to 5000rpm. If it blows, it blows, lol.

I have had bad luck with BMX chain staying together at high speeds. I hope you have better luck than me, but I would recommend a chain designed for high RPM's like #219 kart chain.

I have heaps of chain if you wanna pay for the shipping ill give it to you..

I have #410 #420

I have over 10 meters of this shit
chain is so cheap i doubt its worth it tho

mr.pibb said:
Now that I read your threads I know what your talking about "right".
Awesome stuff! Wish I had the funds right now to do something similar, but maybe in a few years.
Cant wait to see more vid's and pics.

Oooh, do not look at this thread and consider what i'm doing to be 'right', LOL.
I am learning all this the hard and expensive way :p

But the MAC motor bikes are still performing flawlessly so far. I believe i have those nailed down and perfected. Too bad the thread on the main MAC bike is so long. I think i will eventually condense it.

Money has been what is limiting the progress/speed of this build, unfortunately. Moving into a new place, buying 6 flatproof tires ( we have a big goathead sticker problem here in Utah ), buying desks, tools, other bits and pieces etc have all added up.

But i'm at the point where i only need a few new parts for this bike. I need some weird sized spacers, nuts, bolts, tensioners, and a bunch of elbow grease doing the metal working part.

nechaus; thank you, but i am good on chain, and the shipping from Australia probably cost more than the chain itself :)

liveforphysics: ah, if i would have only known that beforehand. Luckily for me, the BMX chain stage is only a ~2:1. It will be spinning at approx 5,000rpm at quite a bit less power than what you're putting out. Maybe it will survive.

Hey nep,

Iv been looking into something more like your MAC motor size,

My hpm is to much for just general riding, I would love a 3kw continous motor that is small and easy to run, peak at 5 or 6 kw for less than 30 seconds
Iv been thinking about GM's Low KV brushless motors for close to $130 or something, I think they could be rated for only 1kw and 800 watts,,,
I might have to try one of these, But i would like something more beefy and less weight,

Funny you say that nechaus; pretty much everyone who has ran an etek-sized motor has said it is too much :)
I have been thinking about my mortality a bit and have rethought using the motenergy motor multiple times.
I am thinking it could be good for a plug-in hybrid boost system on a car or a motorcycle conversion.

You could always detune yours a bit for maximum efficiency. Weight would still be an issue, but eh..

I wish the MAC lawnmower motor was a little bit bigger, but i am going to try some cooling mods on it to see what can be done.

Its not just that tho, If I was legally allowed to Ride my HPM as i please on the road with out rego, ect.. motorbike license i would and not look back.
My bmx feels so powerful it makes me feel super guilty and i know im not using 200 watts, its more like upto 20,0000 watts lol...

I have ridden my ratbmx on the road about 5 times for 20km trips, Looking over my shoulder every chance to make sure police are not around the corner,

Some smart ass police Got to me just as i got to a area that it is allowed to ride this stuff, He followed me,
He said what type of bike is that, I said its an electric pedal assist, He said well you never pedaled, I said I feel tired..
He said what is the top speed, I said 35 to 40 kmh, The look on his face was more like, Angry/dissapointed...
I said You can buy this from me for $7000 right now ride away, He took off fast almost doing a burn out not saying goodbye.. He was in the car just talking to me...

( I have always wanted to say, Dont shoot me randomly to a cop, out of the blue) but never would

So my main reason is that i will get busted, go to court, pay fines, I hate it, Because I love my bike.

So i need a smaller motor that i wont feel so guilty about, something that is physically smaller

hub motors are fine tho, they can be limited and dont stand out, I could always say it limited to 200 watts by my hall effect sensor throttle lol

I should pick up and move to another country that has better laws... I do love Australia,
But some of its laws just don't make sense

I have a 5kw RC motor that i should attempt to use, But id rather something with halls already, I really not sure what i could do,
I wish they made a HPM 2500, that was 2.5kw con rated. Half the size and weight

Ah i see.

24fet.jpg

BTW, i got the 24FET controller in from cell_man a few days ago after twisting his arm for one for a few months :) Well worth the wait - he beefed up the traces a bit and put what looks like 7-8AWG on the phase/battery leads. Good enough for me. I will unfortunately have to detune it a bit for the MAC. But it is really intended to be used for the Motenergy.

HAHA nice!!!! that looks like a god damm monster!!!

Do you think your mac Motor would be to strong for a 3d printed PLA bracket Covered with 3 layers of Carbon Fiber on a cyclone like setup using 2kw ???
I think i could make a nice light mount for that baby, I want to get one, I Just spent 2 hours looking for a decent 2 kw brushless motor that is a nice size and came up with nothing.

Do you have any to sell?

I sold 1 of 2. I have asked MAC if they could provide a motor with a better case, but have not heard a response yet.

Magudaman did some tests and wasn't happy with his, but his tests weren't exactly scientific and i think he was pumping 6-8kw into his - a bit much, i think.

I am a little hesitant to do a group buy until i've really tested the motor. I don't want to facilitate selling a motor that doesn't live up to spec, and i am skeptical about it.

Guess i need to get off my ass and put this bike together :)

What controller and how many phase amps do you know?

Lol 8 kw would be a blast with that motor for a short amount of time.

Id only seriously want 4kw peak 30 seconds of pure chain drive madness 1-2 kw continuous, geared to 35kmh, custom sprockets/gear set
off road rock hopper + baby sevcon, If she runs warm ill cool it one way or another, How much would you sell it for $? or trade..

I have a few beef controllers in the shed, 300 amp gm, 90 volt and some motors, infact i have a turnigy rotormax 160kv from memory 5kw, / fatboy controller

Sorry, can't let it go yet ;) but you have encouraged me to experiment with it.
Suppose i will put the last needed pieces on the credit card tonight.

To get what you want out of the motor, you'd probably have to do a 9:1 - 10:1 double stage reduction and run it at over 48 volts to get 2kW constant. It's a small motor that has the same stator width as the MAC / BMC geared hubs, so it has to spin really fast, FYI.

Back