Damp CAv3

Ricky_nz

10 kW
Oops, Looks like I somehow got some water into my CAv3 when I washed my bike the other day. Also the weather is quite cool today which is probably not helping with the condensation.

This much moisture is way too much for something that controls the throttle feed to my controller so looks like I'm going to have to open it up and dry it up. I'm kind of curious if the PCB inside is conformally coated or not as that could affect the amount of moisture that is tolerable.
Of course since I ride in the rain often or I will do again as soon as my shoulder heals a bit more I will need to reseal it well.
I have never opened this one. I think I have seen a very small amount of condensation previously but never this much.
CAv3_damp1.jpg

After work today I opened up my Cycle Analyst and was greeted with a small puddle on the carpet as water run out. Not good considering at one point the power had been on with a bit of mist in the display, I hope it behaves correctly when I get it all dried out. So far there looks to be a few patches of significant corrosion where voltage was so unfortunately I guess its not going to be a quick dry it out and go while attached to the bike unless I get lucky :(.
I've got so many other things to do at the moment the last thing I wanted to have to do is it rip apart my CAv3 for dry out and possible repairs. So far I can see corrosion near a voltage regulator or transistor. I will dry it all out well before going further.

The box came apart really easily as if there was no or very little silicon on the edges holding it together.
Depending on how you mount this thing it is possible to get significant amounts of water trapped inside.

Here is a few photos of the inside:

20150907_175338.jpg
20150907_175331.jpg
20150907_175318.jpg
20150907_175204.jpg
20150907_175157.jpg

Attachments

• 20150907_175331.jpg
    20150907_175331.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 1,035
I have looked at it closer and It appears that some of the wires in the back are really loose in the case and water could have easially got in there while cleaning the bike.
Looks like I need to buy some natural cure silicon once I get it dried and make sure its working.

On second thought threes plenty of exterior sealant left over from my renovation that might work, I'm pretty sure its not acid cure but most is white which could be a bit messy with the black box, I might have an unopened tube of salleys all clear although it seems a waste to open it for such a small job as its bound to become unusable in the tube before I use the rest.

Ricky_nz said:
Oops, Looks like I somehow got some water into my CAv3 when I washed my bike the other day.
Ricky_nz said:
After work today I opened up my Cycle Analyst and was greeted with a small puddle on the carpet as water run out
Depending on how you mount this thing it is possible to get significant amounts of water trapped inside.
Ricky_nz said:
I have looked at it closer and It appears that some of the wires in the back are really loose in the case and water could have easially got in there while cleaning the bike.
Looks like I need to buy some natural cure silicon once I get it dried and make sure its working.
Recommend:
  • Do not seal the wire routing holes.
    Do not aim high pressure water streams at those holes.
    Do RTM.

Unofficial Use Guide said:
    6.8 Operation in Wet or Cold Conditions

Grin Tech CA v2.3 User Manual:
    The Cycle Analyst enclosure contains a clear sealed window to protect the circuitboard and LCD from water exposure. There is generally no problem using the meter in light rain or heavy rain, so long as the meter is upright with the cables exiting downwards. The open holes in the bottom allow the device to breath to prevent condensation issues.

Yep, I definitely kept high pressure water away from the CAv3. problem was the bike was upside down to make it easier to clean the derailier area etc and I not really thinking ( had taken quite a few pain killers as my shoulder was really bad that day which doesn't help thinking) and in a hurry gave the front wheel a little clean. I think water ran the wrong way down the wires and one was particularly loose when I was cleaning around the Front wheel. Normally I would clean the bike the right way up but with my injured leg It just worked out easier to do it upside down this time.
So fair enough I caused it but I still want to find a solution that can make it a bit more resilient to it as the bike paths round here are covered in loose lime that sticks to everything requiring frequent heavy washing all over the bike so realistically water will accidentally get in at some point. Lime paths at speed in heave rain make a mess of the bike.

I have seen a little condensation before that went away but when mounted on the CA stem mountthere is no hole at the lowest point so if anything should get in it stays there around the bottom edge of the PCB for a significant time where the soldered connections that are not conformally coated are until it can evaporate out the small gaps around the wires. Or in my case condense over everything inside the case.

Definitely not going to fully seal it up but it could be a bit better sealed in the wire area and top edges.
Thinking about putting a tiny hole at the lowest point. If there had been a hole here it would have drained out as easy as it got in and there would have been no issue as it would have dried out over night.
Sure a hole would allow water in put if it can get back out quickly it is significant less of an issue.

I managed to dry it out so far it looks like its working apart from one row in the LCD display so at least functional so I can ride the bike until I get more time to look into it.

The CAv3 is definitly a very handy device and well made but for my application i wish it could be a little more tollerant to water coming fron unexpected directions.

If the wire was a snug fit like the others the water ingress would have been tiny so i might start there.

Buy some motip electro cleaner and spray it on the board.

Also, a little wd40 on the board helps prevent corrosion on the board.

Or you can plastidip the board, making it immune to moist ;)

Don't forget to tape off the screen while plastidippin

Back