days of the drones

Keep in mind that rc planes and helicopters fly upside-down and the rotors turn the opposite direction in Australia. Everything is backward and upside-down in Australia, right?

;)

On a serious note I would say that of all my rc plane flights and kite flights that about 25% were successful, but that would have easily climbed to 75% if I had any kind of patience and was less impulsive. I used to fly the plane or kite on days in which I totally knew better, and I would rush things.

I will say this: If you are out to shoot photos, you must have shutter priority so that you can get your shutter speed up to a thousand or more to avoid motion blur.

And video is really problematic when metal spins (propellers, rotors, etc.). You can get strange wavy lines.

Finally, the Draganfly copters are about ten thousand American dollars. But they are a turnkey operation.

For the real geeks, they do it all themselves for a fraction of the price. Some of these guys can actually program the multi-rotor helicopter to fly off a mile, drop to 200 feet altitude, take a few pictures, and then come back. While the helicopter is on its way to the job the "pilot" can go in and get a beer, make a quick phone call, and come back to find it hovering a couple meters off the ground in his front yard, just like an obedient dog.

The Draganfly is receiving a continuous feed from over a dozen active satellites and can generally stay within a meter of where you tell it to be in terms of latitude, longitude and altitude. It's amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2vu32f2FvE

But check this out. Now that's some crazy stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh2Ym7ehb8k&NR=1&feature=endscreen

One more tidbit: This will cost you the same (or less) than the Draganfly, and you'll have a great time AND get good photos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh2Ym7ehb8k&NR=1&feature=endscreen

In fact, I saw a guy fly something like that in Australia trying to help Mad Max get a truck of fuel away from the refinery.

Holy crap, 10k,

hahah far out, I am about to buy a small block of land for 25k !!!!

I had in my mind $2000!!!!

the ar drone 2.0 is sounding like a cheap option that will do the absolute basics...

Yeah I've seen a few vids of people with AR drones using routers and boosters and what not to get heaps more range. I was going to get one initially, then saw alot of people are converting them to using convention RC controllers for better range. I figured it wasnt worth paying $350 odd for one then spending a $200 odd more to upgrade it when I could build my own one that's bigger and better for less.

It's been a steeper learning curve for sure but atleast when things break I have a much better working knowledge of everything and with more DIY components it's cheaper than the brand name drone stuff too.

Nech where the hell are you buying land for $25k ?! You couldn't buy a car space for half that anywhere near here!

in the god damm sticks hyena!!! lol

I had to everyone, I just purchased a AR drone 2.0 from ebgames... will be here next tuesday holy sh*t im excited,
Iv got a 4s 6ah and 4s 3ah nano tech battery ready to be ripped apart for a new battery,
Holy mother im excited!!!
I just seen a video of a guy pushing the drone in hover mode, it really can hold its position, obviously not like a gps one, but this thing for the price is great really,

First up will be flight lessons in my back yard, il make some videos of my noobness and upload it on this thread.

You know, if more people had these in places that had bad natural disasters, they would be great for rescuing people.

I am going to mod the hell out of the ar drone,
I can print replacement gears with my plastic printer, i may as well change the canopy and fit a gopro mount to the bottom with landing feet so it wont bash the gopro on landing,

Ill use the stock camera to get the right camera angle and to pilot it, use the gopro to get higher quality video, only because the stock software is all ready to go
im going to attempt to use the 3ah nano tech battery, it may be to big and ill have to get a 2ah pack because it only comes with a 1ah pack i believe..

i want to try and and get the flight time from 8-10 mins to 20 - 25 mins if i can,

I watched a video of a guy explaining i should practice indoors first and then go outside,
It has great features, i like the fact it uses the bottom camera to help make the thing be more stable in flight

attached a pic of the gears i can print

Attachments

• Air_Drone_Gear_for_Print_v3.3_preview_featured.jpg
    Air_Drone_Gear_for_Print_v3.3_preview_featured.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,509
On the topic of drones/quadcopters whatever, I've just seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hyGJBV1xnJI#t=0s

Pretty incredible bit of automated control.

Cooool, I'm tempted to order, but was weighing up buying a go pro 3.

I think you can upgrade the ardrone do a custom PCB that has GPS etc

Some decent mods out there, good solid base to jump into the drone world plus you're good to go out the box. Somehow that's what I value the most, limited time these days... Gotta be careful with my tinkering time

those drones are cool, imagine watching drone football or something lol

I just spent about 30 mins looking at hobbyking trying to find the lightest 1.3 1.6 and 2.2 ah 3s packs
the 2.2 ah was about 215 grams, 1.3ah was 147 grams and the 1.6 was 175 grams,
all 3 packs cost the same as a 1 new genuine ar drone battery,

Ill test them all and see which battery last the longest time, The stock AR drone battery is a 3s 1ah 10c pack.

Jeremy Harris said:

Maybe that's where the name skynet originates!
Our end is near! :p

Definately cool tech though. An upscaled version would be great for catching people leaping from burning buildings :lol:

I'll have to dig up a video I saw a while back of a swarm of these little micro quads all working together through some sort of automated networking interface to lift heavy objects and carry out tasks. It's all very impressive.

These are the mods i will be doing, but using larger battery cells,
from the videos iv seen, a 3s 2.2 ah + gopro would go well for battery life
But ill have a 3ah as well as smaller ones to test them all to find a good combination

[youtube]lQ5XXdzxWn8[/youtube]

Hyena said:
Jeremy Harris said:

Maybe that's where the name skynet originates!
Our end is near! :p

Definately cool tech though. An upscaled version would be great for catching people leaping from burning buildings :lol:

I'll have to dig up a video I saw a while back of a swarm of these little micro quads all working together through some sort of automated networking interface to lift heavy objects and carry out tasks. It's all very impressive.

hell yeah far out that sounds cool!!! I love watching this stuff!

People could use them to spam peoples back yards with business flyers, Why pay someone to do it when you can get your drone doing flyer drops lol
it would be cool to have one with an AI that goes to sleep under the sun with tiny solar cells to recharge lol, they could get lost but eventually make their way back home if it does not get stolen

gogogogog

just got back in stock, bough one gogogogooggo

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10343

Hopefully people won't get too irresponsible with these things. Putting a weapon on it is a bad idea. It would suck if someone actually assassinated a leader with a drone. Then everyone would be shut down because of the assholeness of one person.

I'd like to get one and fly through the barrel of a wave like Teahopoo in Tahiti.

So, what kind of payloads can some of these ready-to-fly out of the box drones handle?

I'd like to at least use the Canon S-series (I'm talking stills, not video) because it can be manually controlled.

A lot of these cheapo helicopters can only handle 50 grams or so, which is crap. It needs to be able to handle 500 grams without causing any problems with flight. If it could do 500 grams I could get some amazing photos.

The problem with kites is that they are dependent on wind, and you can't do serious at-will photography with them. You can just have some fun and get some good shots with luck, and on the coast (because of steady winds) a good kite and rig can easily handle a kilogram of payload, sometimes a lot more. RC planes are extremely inexpensive, and they can handle half a kg of payload, but they travel very fast and you have to turn around over and over to get back in position to take fly-by shots.

Blimps and balloons are very effective if there isn't any wind, and can handle weight (that's all math...easy stuff), but you have to deal with tanks of helium delivered, filling the blimp, and then transporting the blimp (because it's expensive to just let the helium out, fold the blimp, and then inflate again.

Helicopters are the solution.

But for a photographer, using some cheap, crappy wireless camera that would normally cost 49 bucks on Ebay is not an option. We need quality cameras. The very least of these is the Canon S-series (S-95, S-100, etc)., but they weight about 240 grams, and that doesn't include a rig to hold it to the helicopter. Plus, I would really prefer to use a DSLR, and if you add the camera, lens, and a lightweight rig, you're at a kilogram, sometimes a bit more. Can anything lift that other than Draganfly type of helicopters?

That AR Drone has a crappy onboard camera (it says HD). It should say HW (high wobble).

I went to the AR Drone site, and they are actually showing this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrPShhhR6Is&feature=youtu.be

You'll notice that most of the video is shot from the ground, showing the helicopter flying around (note the expensive, high-quality camera used to film the drone), but the brief two-second pieces of video shot by the drone in motion looks like it was shot through a bowl of jello.

MikeFairbanks said:
That AR Drone has a crappy onboard camera (it says HD). It should say HW (high wobble).

I went to the AR Drone site, and they are actually showing this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrPShhhR6Is&feature=youtu.be

You'll notice that most of the video is shot from the ground, showing the helicopter flying around (note the expensive, high-quality camera used to film the drone), but the brief two-second pieces of video shot by the drone in motion looks like it was shot through a bowl of jello.

Yeah mate,
Its pretty crappy, but just remember its only $350 new, second hand ones are about 200, Hobbyking also have some new ones,
+ first time ever using a quadcopter myself, so i gotta build up flying skills, this thing is perfect for me for now!

However I plan on upgrading the drone, This is exactly what i will be doing to mine over time,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lQ5XXdzxWn8
Check it out, he changes it quite a bit, gets much better range and good video
Stock battery is 3s1ah, i have ordered 3s 1.3ah, 1.6ah 2.2 ah, and i have a 3.0ah at home already,
Ill do some testing with the motors see how hot they get,

aww man, you have read my mind!

I was just looking at bags i could potentially carry the quad in while i ride my ebike

The plan for next weekend, two of my mates and myself heading into bushland type of area where there are heaps of Mountain bikers,

Ill get some footage of us riding the bikes + of nature, and ill find some popular trails that I can hopefully get some videos of people with mtb skills doing hectic jumps or something,

Hahah on the same wavelength.
Super pumped to get some video on group rides and the skateboard

While researching using nanotech battery upgrade did you see any mention of size / ah limitations?

Also I'd like to mount a bright flashlight and hoon around at night, you know cos....

Also go pro mount, but not paying exorbitant amounts for some 3D printed part

t3sla said:
Hahah on the same wavelength.
Super pumped to get some video on group rides and the skateboard

While researching using nanotech battery upgrade did you see any mention of size / ah limitations?

Also I'd like to mount a bright flashlight and hoon around at night, you know cos....

Also go pro mount, but not paying exorbitant amounts for some 3D printed part

Yeah well i got a few sizes, i can report back when i test them all, i found nanotechs were generally more heavy, zippy compact seemed to be the lightest
I can print you some brackets if you need any, just pm me, ill be printing a go pro mount with a mechanical gyro, Need to also print landing feet,
It will be interesting to see the limitations on how much extra weight it will be able to carry, I want to keep the motors in good shape.

I was thinking of adding some leds on it for night flying, iv got a few strips laying around but id rather some blue and red flashing lights.

Weight is a good thing when it comes to batteries, you'll notice a correlation with C rating

Hopefully the Chinese don't pick up on it and start lacing batteries with lead, lol.

I'm guessing load limitation relate to thrust ability more and limit hover height, not a big issue for what our intended use is.

Will pm you sometime about go pro mount unless my mates $500 printer rocks up, it's been months...

Nice!

Hopefully we get good run times!,

I just got 40 IR cluster globes for like $9 that run on 12 volt dc, i may try and see if its worth putting that on it for night flying

Back