• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

DC/DC 48v to 12v????

PARADOXICLES

100 mW
Short version - got any reliable sources for a dc/dc converter that will accept 48v 15a input, and 12v output...at least 750w total in and out .

Long version - i want to use my electric bikes battery to power some lights, my lap top, and other things, both on it, and the solar camp trailer im building for it. my battery is 48v, 15ah (720w, call it 750w for wiggle room), and i want to convert this to 12 volts. But i cant find a converter with a 48v input that is over 10amps...they will have 15+ amp output, but a 10 amp limit on the input.....................my end goal is to power the 1000w ( max) 12vdc/120vac inverter i already have , so i can power pretty much anything in the camp trailer. .. any one know a reliable source with such an item?..... i know its a bit weird to convert dc, to dc, to ac, to whatever i plug in... but that seams to be what i have to go with, sense some of these things i already have ( like the battery and inverter), thanks everyone.

I just got one for $20 on ebay, haven't tested it yet, but....the output is 12V / 10A, so...if you liked them, you'd need two of them. It is about the size of two decks of cards. There were many vendors who carried them, just pick one with high volume and a high reliability rating.

Google "golf cart DC/DC 48V 12V". They are fully potted and waterproof. They are used to allow electric golf carts to use automotive and motorcycle lights, radio, and accessories.

thanks, thats what ive already searched for, found alot i liked, except everything ive found has stats that saying it has a 10amp INPUT limit... battery is 15ah, i dont want to buy something and fry it by just from giving it power with out a load.... do you know of anything specifically that can handle that much input?

As long as the voltage of the pack is within the specified range, it will be OK. The Ahr rating of the pack only determines how long it will run.

Yeah, A is different unit than Ah.

PARADOXICLES said:
my battery is 48v, 15ah (720w, call it 750w for wiggle room)

And Wh is different from W. Your battery has a capacity of 720Wh. It can supply around 720W for one hour.

thanks, good to know, but the most powerful one i can find is still 300w,...... if i used 3 in parallel would that be the same as a single 900w one?

.....my battery is 720w, and the inverter can go up to 1000w..... my bikes motor is 750w..... so id like to get stuff set up that will safely handle pretty much anything up to 750w total, that should be a good safe limit, and power pretty much anything i could need when traveling with the camp trailer all this will be built into.

Back