DH/FR with Cyclone 1200w build recap

nopap1

10 µW
Hi to all,
I'd like to detail here my Cyclone 1200w setup i mentioned in another post concerning a freewheel issue.

Main components:
- The bike is a downhill/freeride from a French maker who made an interesting bike with this setup.
- Cyclone 1200w motor, with the usual accessories.
- ISIS BB (148mm) from cyclone with the appropriate cranks.
- Zippy 6s 8ah batteries x4.
- Backpack with a back protection from the same bike maker
- ISCG adapter, additional BB with external bearings (the cheapest)
- 3mm aluminium plates, stainless screws and bolts
- half link BMX chain

The build photos:

Sany1675.jpg
Sany1730.jpg
Sany1731.jpg
Sany1740.jpg
Sany1732.jpg
View attachment 4
Sany1746.jpg
Sany1747.jpg
Sany1759.jpg
Sany1760.jpg

Mounting the plates is done on the ISCG holes for the right part. I added an ISCG adapter on the left, and tried to fix it by adding an external bearing BB above the ISIS BB. It works for now, but the ideal mount would be to install a howitzer BB (same as the original) with proper trial cranks. The problem here is that howitzer is not ISIS compatible, it's nearly the same.. and i would need some garage press to force the cranks on the axle.

The red thingy is a piece of urethane silent block for old beetle gearbox. I used this to avoid destroying the frame as the idea was to have something easy to remove when the lifts are open in summer.

The cyclone chain was either too long or too short, so i replaced it by a BMX half link chain (the orange one).

The controller placed here is a bit too heavy, i would need to place it somewhere else, but i don't know where. The frame does not have enough room and i don't like much a behind the seat install, as it takes too much mud and water during rides.

Backpack batteries are ok, not too heavy, and i forget about it after 2 minutes. I used a back protection backpack, added for lipo bag in case of fire, and still had room for some soft protections around the batteries in case of fall down.

Autonomy: i live in the mountains, so i always have some climbings. Note also that since the bike is ready the temperatures are quite low (below 10 C).
The lipos are giving a 16ah pack, i never used more than 14ah. Up to now i can do easily 45km with 1000m climbing.

General comments:
I don't use the bike as a motorbike but really to help me climb and do nice rides, much longer than before. I'm really happy about the result, and the cyclone mount allowing usage of the bike gears is really cool for a mountain usage as i do. I can really climb anything !
The noise is ok. I had some chain problems, i'll have to add back a chain guide (i removed the original one which was on the iscg holes).
The chain will have to be replaced regularly as it becomes longer. I made at least 500km, i noticed that the chain changed.
I destroyed the original cyclone chain rings screws after 1 ride, and had to rebuild something stronger to hold the rings together. Note that I removed the big ring to keep only one 32T (now trying a 34T).
Everything was sealed with silicon for bathrooms to avoid mud and water into the controller and motor. I also had to wash the bike several times and it went ok.
The bike is much heavier, so it behaves differently and needs suspensions tuning.
I'm now in the process of improving pedaling efficiency by changing the 14T freewheel.

I also got a heavy duty freewheel to replace the dicta that i suspected to be fragile, but it still hasn't broke.

Voila,
I hope this post post can be useful to others, i made most of my choices based on what i red in this very interesting forum.

Cheers and best wishes for 2012.
E.

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!INSPIRERING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very nice build I like it allot hope it does everything you want it to. You could put a cover over the controller if it was behind the seat or a fender on the bike to keep the mudd off of you and it.

Two thumbs up, now let's get some videos ... ;)

neptronix said:
Two thumbs up, now let's get some videos ... ;)

Yes! Videos! I love to see mid drives in action climbing serious terrain!

Ok i'll do some videos. I was expecting some gopro from santa claus but for some reason he forgot :roll:
It's actually snowing here, so i might be able to test and shoot a snowy ride this WE. Wait and see.

Thanks for all your comments.
I actually went cyclone because i had no choice: the read hub is a pass thru 20mm axle, so no way to mount a classic hub motor without destroying the frame which was not an option.
The cyclone original mount does not fit such large frames, and would not be resistant enough for huge climbing so i went this direction for the mount.
Fixing the mount plate to the BB was the only option for my frame, but for other frame types i've seen a plate screwed to the frame where the rear suspension arm is attached, and it was definitely much easier to setup than my stuff as it was reusing original bike screws.

Back