Dipping hall sensor in liquid tape, yes or no?

brumbrum

100 kW
I am currently up to my eyeballs installing an adaptto controller. I will be using a hall sensor near a magnet attached to the brake lever for regen. I need to waterproof the hall sensor and wires atached to it.

Will it still sense the magnet if i dip it in liquid electrical tape to waterproof it? :?

It should do material wise, but to be sure thickness/distance wise if I were you to be 100% sure it'd be worth wiring it up and giving it a test. Don't know how the shape or strength of mag field of your magnet will be affected before using a 'permanent' encapsulated solution (as in problem solving, not the damn liquid :lol:).

Using cut up bits of plastic bottle as shims would be a half decent 'like for like' way to get a rough thickness guide. Sure a single dip would waterproof it, but why do it once when you can be certain after a couple dips :wink:.

ccmdr said:
It should do material wise, but to be sure thickness/distance wise if I were you to be 100% sure it'd be worth wiring it up and giving it a test. Don't know how the shape or strength of mag field of your magnet will be affected before using a 'permanent' encapsulated solution (as in problem solving, not the damn liquid :lol:).

Using cut up bits of plastic bottle as shims would be a half decent 'like for like' way to get a rough thickness guide. Sure a single dip would waterproof it, but why do it once when you can be certain after a couple dips :wink:.

Yeah, a double dip will definitely be done for sure :wink:

Good idea with the thin plastic shield to try first. I think my mate used shrink tubing on his and then bent the end of the tube back on itself to create a closed fold to keep water out. That seems to work ok.

Hey-a, what all this about double dipping :lol:.

Heatshrink idea sounds good (prob easier to use in the 'range' test than plastic shims, depends on what knocking around :)), but the liquid tape would give a more aesthetically pleasing finished feel about it, as well as a more 'sealed' environment.

In any case, Liquid tape is easy to peel off , so to be honest i dont know why i am even worrying about it... :lol:

Back